Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi does it again!

Watch the vid

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=26529
Old 18 October 2012, 11:26 AM
robj2502
Scooby Regular

I allways like Chris Harris's reviews and an interesting result in this particular video I wouldnt of guessed that at the begining and in certainly does make you think about what the next M1 will be like if the relatively standard car is so good?
Old 18 October 2012, 12:17 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never buy an Audi, they are pile's of crap driven by *****
Old 18 October 2012, 12:29 PM
robj2502
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT
Haha bit harsh there mate
Old 18 October 2012, 12:44 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

So the RS3 is quicker in a straight line and quicker around a track, is nicer to look at and is more practical with 5 doors and 4wd but yet the BMW wins hands down.

Who says unbiased journalism
Old 18 October 2012, 12:46 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robj2502
Haha bit harsh there mate
lol. They have just always been bland numb car's, fast but bland. I would alway's choose the bmw equivilent or anything else for that matter
Old 18 October 2012, 12:53 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Same could be said about Porsche drivers. You not the chap that blew £100k on a Porsche Carrera?

Should have just bought the Audi R8 V10, much more special in my eyes
Old 18 October 2012, 12:53 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LEO-RS
So the RS3 is quicker in a straight line and quicker around a track, is nicer to look at and is more practical with 5 doors and 4wd but yet the BMW wins hands down.

My diesel 5 series is quick in a straight line and very practical but that doesn't make it fun to drive.

This where perhaps so called fast Audis come a cropper and on the whole M Power (and increasingly AMG) shine.
Old 18 October 2012, 12:58 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Same could be said about Porsche drivers. You not the chap that blew £100k on a Porsche Carrera?

You mean the ONLY decent drivers car that Audi have in production at the moment?

Personally I would take the Porsche as the R8 looks too flash/garish and also has no back seats. Those two seats can be very useful if you have small kids.
Old 18 October 2012, 01:08 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
My diesel 5 series is quick in a straight line and very practical but that doesn't make it fun to drive.

This where perhaps so called fast Audis come a cropper and on the whole M Power (and increasingly AMG) shine.
Most probably down to Audi quattro vs M/AMG RWD, the BMW/Mercs are naturally going to be more exciting to drive.

Saying all that, Audi do very well and they design their cars for the mass market where safety (Quattro and understeer) are more important than limited traction and trickier oversteer. They may be less fun to drive but I'd say from a profitability point of view and as a business, Audi win hands down. They have the 4wd market (Audi/BMW/Merc) covered very well. 99% of the driving population do not know what oversteer or understeer are and have no intentions of ever visiting a race track to find out.
Old 18 October 2012, 01:11 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

you're having a laugh now aint ya ( i take it you drive an Audi or at least a fan boy)

I will stick with my 911, like i said Audi are ***** cars so why would i want an overpriced Lambo copy
Old 18 October 2012, 01:12 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
You mean the ONLY decent drivers car that Audi have in production at the moment?

Personally I would take the Porsche as the R8 looks too flash/garish and also has no back seats. Those two seats can be very useful if you have small kids.
R8 V10 has the wow factor appeal, its a stunning looking thing that will turn heads wherever it goes. Porsche Carrera, not so, I doubt anyone bats an eyelid when one drives past, its just another ordinary Porsche. (Turbo/GT/RS models are the cars that get the appreciation and the stares)

Granted, I do like the new 991 CS but at £100k with a good spec, too close to turbo and R8 money for my liking. Should be a £75k car maximum.
Old 18 October 2012, 01:13 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Come to think of it, Audi make some really nice light designs, not content with making funny shapes with the front headlights they are attacking the rears now with LEDs

Cant wait to see their Christmas edition cars
Old 18 October 2012, 01:16 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

you're having a laugh now aint ya ( i take it you drive an Audi or at least a fan boy)

I will stick with my 911, like i said Audi are ***** cars so why would i want an overpriced Lambo copy
But you have a middle of the range bland Porsche, it's a non turbo, non RS, non GT model. No one bats an eyelid at a Carrera. Sorry, but if you want to go down the path of Audis are for ***** mentality what the hell does that say about Porsche drivers? Most are middle aged balding fat men going through a mid life crisis and needing a **** extension (Porsche badge) to boost their faltering egos.

Sorry, but a Porsche Carrera is bland, boring, and underpowered for a £100k spend. Audi R8 V10 is a masterclass in comparison

Where's the popcorn

Last edited by LEO-RS; 18 October 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old 18 October 2012, 01:33 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I thought the RS3 would be a GTR scarer from what you say Leo. I don't think that RS3 would scare my cat driving her litter tray.

As for a 911 not looking special, I always think they look special, but I don't live in rarefied surroundings of seeing supercars daily.

Last edited by john banks; 18 October 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 18 October 2012, 01:33 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

That drag race is ridiculous. The Audi clearly moves before the BMW. And doesn't look like it pulls any extra once the Beemer goes.
Also the Audi costs over £3k extra
I didnt watch the rest of the video though or with sound
Old 18 October 2012, 01:34 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

But you have a middle of the range bland Porsche, it's a non turbo, non RS, non GT model. No one bats an eyelid at a Carrera. Sorry, but if you want to go down the path of Audis are for ***** mentality what the hell does that say about Porsche drivers? Most are middle aged balding fat men going through a mid life crisis and needing a **** extension (Porsche badge) to boost their faltering egos.

Sorry, but a Porsche Carrera is bland, boring, and underpowered for a £100k spend. Audi R8 V10 is a masterclass in comparison

Where's the popcorn
Good job im mid 30's then

I beg to differ that no one looks

Yeah right, RWD drive 991 Carrera. Really bland that, as quick as a GT3 RS around the ring

Cya, Have fun driving your R8 V10 ( thats of course if you have got one/can afford one)
Old 18 October 2012, 01:42 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

R8 V10 has the wow factor appeal, its a stunning looking thing that will turn heads wherever it goes. Porsche Carrera, not so, I doubt anyone bats an eyelid when one drives past, its just another ordinary Porsche. (Turbo/GT/RS models are the cars that get the appreciation and the stares)

Granted, I do like the new 991 CS but at £100k with a good spec, too close to turbo and R8 money for my liking. Should be a £75k car maximum.

You may think it looks 'stunning' I don't.

Also once you get to a certain stage in life the last thing you want to do is turn heads. You don't want to draw attention to your success/money etc only immature and insecure boys want to do that.
Old 18 October 2012, 01:51 PM
robj2502
Scooby Regular

Most probably down to Audi quattro vs M/AMG RWD, the BMW/Mercs are naturally going to be more exciting to drive.

Saying all that, Audi do very well and they design their cars for the mass market where safety (Quattro and understeer) are more important than limited traction and trickier oversteer. They may be less fun to drive but I'd say from a profitability point of view and as a business, Audi win hands down. They have the 4wd market (Audi/BMW/Merc) covered very well. 99% of the driving population do not know what oversteer or understeer are and have no intentions of ever visiting a race track to find out.
I completely agree that Audi in general do design an amount of safety into thier cars (quattro and understeer) and for most of thier range this would and should be the criteria however this is the "RS" version which I always thought was supposed to be the enthusiast's car a real drivers car not your non discript executive type everyday saloon/hatch. Surely this should of been the model where they could let rip and have a car that was for want of a better word hardcore?
I really think that Audi are letting themselves down by softening off the RS range whilst the M division and AMG are becoming if anything lairier and thier cars are just getting better and better
Old 18 October 2012, 02:38 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

4.1 to 60 isn't to be sniffed at from 335bhp John, many tests have managed quicker than this with sub 4sec tests.

Still though, I agree, I'm not a fan of the RS3, 5 doors only, heavy, and it's at the end of the 8P life cycle (A new A3 platform has virtually just been released). Saying that, put a map on it and it turns into an 11.6sec 1/4 car which would frighten some GTR's out there.

10 a penny up here John, I have a few colleagues that have 996/997 models and they are always saying how unappreciated their cars feel, but then again there is a Porsche on every street corner up here. (Aberdeen)

The new 991 is getting good reviews and it is a pretty nippy car, no doubts about it, but for me, it's bland, it's boring to look at, it's over priced and it's underpowered and with no forced induction, it's pointless to tune. 400bhp is pretty ordinary in 2012. (£100k spend remember)

I disagree, I would not bat an eyelid at a non Turbo/RS/GT model Porsche, not many people do. 911's are very common cars, afterall, the iconic design has been with us for decades now. Each model change does not drastically change or alter the iconic design of the car, so in my opinion, line something like an R8 up against it side by side, there are no comparisons, 1 is a stunning looking car that will turn heads, the other is a boring bland car that fits in with the crowd. (to me anyway)

Anyway, back on topic, shoddy journalism has BMW beating Audi again, shock horror

Do you suffer from low self esteem? Why are you obsessed by 'turning heads'??

Also when you live somewhere nice no car really turns heads. I wouldn't turn my head to look at a R8. There is one parked on my road (as well as a couple of Porsches, Bentleys, and even a Ferrari 599)

Perhaps you are talking about turning heads outside the local school or council estate?
Old 18 October 2012, 02:55 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Come to think of it, Audi make some really nice light designs, not content with making funny shapes with the front headlights they are attacking the rears now with LEDs

Cant wait to see their Christmas edition cars

probably have flashing LEDs ( fairy lights )
Old 18 October 2012, 04:01 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Lol. Well as an ex Audi-driver, i'll happily stick to my regular, boring Porsche. Its only got 320 bhp & 4wd, which of course, can be traunced by even an Audi tdi.

What WAS i thinking. Oh yeh, i remember: the Audi was a glorified armchair with turbos that was boring as **** to drive.

You think "normal" Carreras blend in with the surroundings...... Try an Audi.

Old 18 October 2012, 04:16 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

I recall Tiff tested the M1 and RS3 last year, the Audi looked like a dog out on track!
Old 18 October 2012, 05:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

All you people with posh cars all around you, it sounds so exciting. For the first 10 minutes of my commute I see more fowl than cars.
Old 18 October 2012, 05:40 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
All you people with posh cars all around you, it sounds so exciting. For the first 10 minutes of my commute I see more fowl than cars.
Me too, ive only got pickup's, transit's and caravan's on my field where i live
Old 18 October 2012, 10:25 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Quicker in a straight-line? From the moment traction was established it was losing - albeit slowly. This means that it would lose every contest of acceleration that doesn't include the 0-30 bit (i.e. nearly every real world application).
Old 18 October 2012, 10:52 PM
LEO-RS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Quicker in a straight-line? From the moment traction was established it was losing - albeit slowly. This means that it would lose every contest of acceleration that doesn't include the 0-30 bit (i.e. nearly every real world application).
Yes, the Audi was quicker in a straight line as was clearly shown in the video, It beat it 0-60 and 0-100, look at the breakdown at the end of the video. You state it started making ground 30+ but it was still behind at 100mph and only passed when the Audi was bouncing off its speed limiter.

You have to bare in mind that the RS3 was 100+kg heavier with a lower PWR but still beat it. You make a good point about traction advantage and real world, had the cars been rolling from say 30mph in 2nd gear, who knows, real world a blast upto 100, I think would have been neck and neck. The BMW was no slouch getting off the line, 4.5 is impressive.

Last edited by LEO-RS; 18 October 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 18 October 2012, 11:20 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

let me qualify by saying I know **** really

but it does seem that the beemer gets an easier ride

the bloke says the beemer has sh1te electronic steering, but this is just an off the cuff, throw away comment (i just seems if it was Audi electronic steering it would have been a MAJOR issue)

how many times did we hear - "the Audi is faster/better, but i don't care"

i used to be massively into windsurfing (still am btw just don't buy the magazines - been there done that)

and one of the biggest brands was Neil Pryde - the BMW of sail makers -- and they always, always got amazing reviews - they did make very very good sails, no doubt (just like BMW)

but the point was, you suspected the journalism was slightly biased by the fact Neil Pryde was by far the biggest advertisers i.e. paid the bills

I bet BMW has the biggest advertising/marketing budget of any car maker in the world

not that it would influence journalist -- just sayin
Old 18 October 2012, 11:50 PM
Saxo Boy
Scooby Regular

Yes, the Audi was quicker in a straight line as was clearly shown in the video, It beat it 0-60 and 0-100, look at the breakdown at the end of the video. You state it started making ground 30+ but it was still behind at 100mph and only passed when the Audi was bouncing off its speed limiter.

You have to bare in mind that the RS3 was 100+kg heavier with a lower PWR but still beat it. You make a good point about traction advantage and real world, had the cars been rolling from say 30mph in 2nd gear, who knows, real world a blast upto 100, I think would have been neck and neck. The BMW was no slouch getting off the line, 4.5 is impressive.
The problem with the 0-60 and 0-100 stats is the 0 bit (i.e. from rest). I agree that 30-100 there probably wouldn't but much in it. However, based on the evidence it seems likely that if anyone would be creeping away it would be the BMW. It is for this reason that I challenged your notion that the RS3 is quicker in a straight line.
Old 19 October 2012, 06:46 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
let me qualify by saying I know **** really

but it does seem that the beemer gets an easier ride

the bloke says the beemer has sh1te electronic steering, but this is just an off the cuff, throw away comment (i just seems if it was Audi electronic steering it would have been a MAJOR issue)

how many times did we hear - "the Audi is faster/better, but i don't care"

i used to be massively into windsurfing (still am btw just don't buy the magazines - been there done that)

and one of the biggest brands was Neil Pryde - the BMW of sail makers -- and they always, always got amazing reviews - they did make very very good sails, no doubt (just like BMW)

but the point was, you suspected the journalism was slightly biased by the fact Neil Pryde was by far the biggest advertisers i.e. paid the bills

I bet BMW has the biggest advertising/marketing budget of any car maker in the world

not that it would influence journalist -- just sayin

For sure. I stopped buying AV/HiFi type mags quite a few years ago because of blatant bias in favour of companies with the largest advertising budget.

To be fair though Chris Harris is probably one of the best motoring hacks out there.

(And I'm sure Audi has a similar advertising spend to BMW?)

Quick Reply: Audi does it again!