Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

RENAULT CLIO II MOTORISED THROTTLE SAFETY RECALL.

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2002, 02:54 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Heard this today....

Renault have launched a safety recall, which affects certain Renault Clio II versions. Our continuous quality processes have identified the slight possibility of engine hesitation. In extreme circumstances this could cause the vehicle to idle eractically. They would therefore beleive that positive and responsible action is necessary to ensure your Renault Clio II is inspected without delay.

If you call 0800 328 2403 and quote your reg/VIN number then they can tell you if youre affected. As far as i'm aware it does not affect the mk2 172 with the electronic throttle.

Dave
Old 09 May 2002, 10:54 AM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Dave
Old 09 May 2002, 12:06 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Question

Anybody know if this applies to the 1.2 16 Valve? If it does then it would certainly explain a few things...
Old 09 May 2002, 12:11 PM
Little Miss WRX

Exclamation

I should imagine from that post, that it applies to all models in the MK2 range apart from the 172, get it checked out.
Old 09 May 2002, 12:12 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

As far as i know its all Clios (and some Meganes and Lagunas) with a conventional (not electronic) throttle. Call the number and give your reg/VIN number to check it out.

Dave
Old 09 May 2002, 12:23 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Joey Deacon
My wife has the 1.2 16 v, when you rev it, it sounds like its sucking air. Very lumpy on tickover when cold. Does this sound familiar?
Old 09 May 2002, 01:16 PM
Squeak
Scooby Regular

Angry

Funnily enough I have experienced problems with idling and when I called Renualt I am not on the recall list.

SO I called Renault UK who told me that some vehicles were being recalled to have an updated CD loaded on to them to solve the electrical problems that some people were experiencing but that was on last years model. I was assured that my car currently had the most up to date software. So why am I experiencing the same problems??

I then informed them of the Telegraph article which described exactly the same problems as me on the same model and registration and was currently waiting for the CD to be delivered from France. Amazingly I am now being booked in to check that I have the most up to date software and if not to have it put on.

It continues to amaze me just how many people have similar problems with the 1.2 16v and are still receiving the same service.

If you are having similar problems then I suggest you contact Renault UK if you are fobbed off by the recall line.

Sorry to rant.

Milly

Trending Topics

Old 09 May 2002, 01:45 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Angry

Squeak + MattW,

My car is an 02 1.2 16 valve dynamique and this engine has the fly by wire throttle.

When I first start the car in the morning the revs quickly rise and fall between 1000-1500 rpm. This lasts for about 3 seconds and then everything calms down again. When cold the idle is also lumpy. This seems to be worse when the outside temperature is below 10 degrees although this might just be my imagination.

When warm the engine runs absolutely fine but one thing I have also noticed is that the throttle response is absolutely appaling. Sometimes it seems as if there is a delay between pressing the throttle and the engine responding. I have tried a test where I floored the throttle while stationary and immediately lifted off and the revs only increased by a few hundred rpms.

Glad to see it is not just me having these problems with this engine.
Old 09 May 2002, 02:09 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

My wife has the Dynamique 1.2 16v, and the problem you describe is exactly what is experienced on hers. Interesting that you also experience problems with the accelaraton response, thought it was just me being used to the scoob. The dealer has looked at it, because on very cold days the car stalls at traffic lights when decelerating with clutch in. i.e. Just before actually stopping.

The ECU was reset but with no more very cold nights, not been able to test.

The other problem is that this car does VERY low mileage. The car is nealy 12 month old and has less than 2000 miles on it, whereas the scoob has a more normal 12000 . Any problems get fobbed off with "its not even run in yet mate".
Old 09 May 2002, 02:13 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Question

PS - What did the Telegraph article say - do you have a link?
Old 09 May 2002, 02:25 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

My mk2 Clio 172 is lumpy on the idle. It has been to Renault and they say it is normal for the 2.0 litre engine. I have also spoken to a great deal of mk1 and mk2 172 owners who all say that the 2.0 litre engine is lumpy on tickover.

I guess its a characteristic of the car. Havent heard about the 1.2 though.

Dave