Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

My new ride

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2012, 03:20 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new ride

Well after just five months of having the E60 535D I decided it was just a little too boring.
So Ive got this now. What do you reckon?

Old 19 May 2012, 05:37 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Nice m3 you got there. What's the spec?
Old 19 May 2012, 06:19 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Nice m3 you got there. What's the spec?
Thanks.
I think they're all pretty much the same. I does have heated seats, 19" wheels and wide screen satnav/tv which I don't think some do but that's it. It's an SMG and it has a cracked chassis that is going to be fixed in a couple of weeks. I bought it knowing it had the chassis issue for quite a good discount which will pay for the repair work and quite a bit of other stuff like rtab's, rear springs, diff chassis bushes, new OEM discs and yellow stuff pads all round, brake pipes and a couple of other bits. My thinking was that they all seem to be suffering this problem at some stage so get one already done or the money off to do it. They're 343 bhp and like to rev quite high. Only trouble is, until it's repaired I have to have the gear change set quite sloppy and can't really give it any abuse. Feels quite planted though in the twisties
And it does 56 mpg. Winner. That bit may be a lie
Old 19 May 2012, 10:13 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

sweet!!!!
Old 19 May 2012, 10:55 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Erm an M3 does not do 56 mpg PMSL.
Old 19 May 2012, 11:12 PM
dukeoffenland
Scooby Regular

Nice! My mate has had a hard top and a cab loved it! I'm considering one as getting to be a nice car for the money and still practical
Old 19 May 2012, 11:21 PM
Razorwrx1
Scooby Regular

Nice are buddy. Got to have the staggered CSL's tho!
Old 19 May 2012, 11:24 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I like them but wouldn't buy one. One reason is I prefer smaller cars for UK roads, and another is M3's of that age tend to be owned by a certain 'type' (no offense).
Old 20 May 2012, 12:02 AM
Mickyboy
Scooby Newbie

Looks lovey mate would love to own one of these one day!
Old 20 May 2012, 08:03 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I like them but wouldn't buy one. One reason is I prefer smaller cars for UK roads, and another is M3's of that age tend to be owned by a certain 'type' (no offense).
No offense back mate but you're listing, in your sig, three of the most Barry'd up cars there is around my area. The R32 (VW not Skyline) seems to be the Chavs choice weapon at the moment. Having said that, I am searching through eBay looking for as much stick on bling, smoked repeaters, yellow film for the fog lamps, different coloured ///M badges for the M3 that I can find.

I must say since going on an M forum it tickles and shocks me some of the sh1te grown men do to their cars. Your point is very valid.
Old 20 May 2012, 09:37 AM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I'm with you. Respect their capability and the pockets of those that can afford them but too refined.

Been out and about in a2010 Audi s3 which I would perceive to be similar build quality and god was it boring. Too refined, no sensation. I iked only the steering wheel. Took the owner out in my relatively standard bug and they preferred that too.

There's just an experience spark missing in those German cars which is why I too am back in a scoob after flogging mine.
Old 20 May 2012, 10:40 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

The M3 is a lot more raw to drive than the E60 535d. A lot more refined than the classic I had i think the feel, sensation and balance is very nice. And they like 7.5/8k revs. It's certainly no Audi.

Last edited by MMT WRX; 20 May 2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 20 May 2012, 10:53 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
No offense back mate but you're listing, in your sig, three of the most Barry'd up cars there is around my area. The R32 (VW not Skyline) seems to be the Chavs choice weapon at the moment. Having said that, I am searching through eBay looking for as much stick on bling, smoked repeaters, yellow film for the fog lamps, different coloured ///M badges for the M3 that I can find.

I must say since going on an M forum it tickles and shocks me some of the sh1te grown men do to their cars. Your point is very valid.
The R32 does appeal to the 'boy racer' but they are still quite expensive and also not that tunable. I haven't seen any true horrors just some R32's which have been lowered a bit and on aftermarket wheels, no more 'barry'd' than any other Golfs which are about and in fact it's the older GTI's and even bog standard Polos around my way that drone about with aftermarket backboxs and cut springs.

There's an old M3 near me which has been painted lime green.
Old 20 May 2012, 12:47 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Lime Green you say? **** it, I'm off to Halfords to look at some colour charts. I do remember a long time ago when I had my wrx an vw r32 glued to my **** a long a duel carriageway and I couldn't really shake it off. Apparently they sound well too. I've just come back down the M1 from Meadowhall and the rasp from the M3 at 7.5k is quite addictive.
Old 20 May 2012, 12:59 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

What's wrong with the chassis exactly? Is it corroded? I'm only joking about them being really Chavy, to be fair if you keep the wheels fairly standard and don't paint them a luminous colour they are fairly stealth. The new M3's are fairly in your face though with vents and diffusers everywhere. Ugh!
Old 20 May 2012, 04:38 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

The diff sits in a carrier frame which is bolted to the floor pan via four mounting bushes. Where these fasten to the floor it flexes and subsequently starts cracking and then rusting. The whole rear end has to be stripped out, the floor pan cleaned back to bare metal and repaired and strengthening plates either bonded or welded on. It's a good opertunity to replace a few other items whilst it's down. Rear trailing arm bushes cost about £250/side to do on their own but will only cost £35.00 for the bushes and £40 labour if done whilst this is being done. I'm having new brakes, discs, hoses, shoes, brake fluid etc done to mine. Also, although this mainly affects M3's due to the torque twist on the frame it can affect all E46's. I got a chunk off the purchase price of the car which enables me to get all this extra work done and means that I'll have photo proof and a certificate from a reputable company to document the work carried out. It does affect a high proportion of E46's so it's a time bomb waiting to happen in my mind. The wheels are standard 19" staggered with new Conti M3 tyres as well so that's a bonus. I got insured through CCI who seem a very good company to deal with, very knowledgable, answer the phone, call back when they say they will, offered very competitive rates and you get 6 free trackday insurance included provided the organiser is on their list. I took my R33 GT R to Donington last year so I may take this.
Old 20 May 2012, 08:10 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Nice 320d, Mick

Old 21 May 2012, 09:24 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Nice 320d, Mick