Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bin the rubbish graphics and will be a nice car. Should be fun to drive though
Old 18 May 2012, 10:02 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I don't mind the graphics.
I wonder what sort of price tag it will have...25k or more?
Nik
Old 18 May 2012, 10:56 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I only realised today you can get 5 door Polos.
Old 19 May 2012, 04:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know why VW has not taken up the twin scroll turbo's like so many other rivals (renault/vauxhall/peugeot etc) and bin the use of supercharger/single scroll turbocharger technology, though it will be good to see how this fairs against the DS3 racing.

Tony
Old 20 May 2012, 01:24 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Wish Skoda would do something for the general public along the line of their fantastic rally car

Current vRS Fabia looks rubbish

Slightly OT but always think about hot skodas when there is a 'hot' vw
Old 20 May 2012, 06:45 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Hope they give it a Manual gearbox though.
Old 20 May 2012, 07:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
I only realised today you can get 5 door Polos.

Five doors does spoil the look of hot hatches. I saw a Golf R Five door yesturday in the station car park and whilst its obviously more practical (if you have the optional Recaro seats ) it looked more mundane and seemed to lose it looks compared to the 3 door.

VAG needs to keep consumer choice in order to keep their cars desirable to a wider audience.

Same with the new Audi RS3 being a sportback (A3 avant) and DSG only....two things that repel me from wanting one (thats before considering the price ).

Polo R ticks boxes - supercharged to get decent low rpm torque, turbo give it oomph at high revs. But again it needs to be offered in the right package - manual gearbox option and a 3 door option would suit me. However offer a 5 door dsg for those who can't drive and need to shift sprogs.

But the big questions...how much does it weigh and cost and can it put the power down ok on wet roads without the ESP going all nanny state.

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 May 2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 20 May 2012, 07:28 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Five doors does spoil the look of hot hatches. I saw a Golf R Five door yesturday in the station car park and whilst its obviously more practical (if you have the optional Recaro seats ) it looked more mundane and seemed to lose it looks compared to the 3 door.

VAG needs to keep consumer choice in order to keep their cars desirable to a wider audience.

Same with the new Audi RS3 being a sportback (A3 avant) and DSG only....two things that repel me from wanting one (thats before considering the price ).

Polo R ticks boxes - supercharged to get decent low rpm torque, turbo give it oomph at high revs. But again it needs to be offered in the right package - manual gearbox option and a 3 door option would suit me. However offer a 5 door dsg for those who can't drive and need to shift sprogs.

But the big questions...how much does it weigh and cost and can it put the power down ok on wet roads without the ESP going all nanny state.
Ali I'm in two minds about 5 door hatches. My Golf is 3 door but if it had been 5 door I would have bought it too. The 3 door does look a bit more sporty but otoh the doors are pretty big and unwieldy. The 5 door looks a bit more 'stealthy' which isn't a bad thing, but also adds a bit of weight which is bad.

Having said that the Polo is a lot smaller and you end up with very small doors. A 5 door Polo is getting close to those weird micro jap cars.

I can't see the point of a blower as it will just rob power and fuel efficiency at cruise. Maybe a twin turbo or something would be better? Or a larger displacement nasp but with that tech which kills the fuel and ignition to a couple of cylinders at cruise to improve efficiency. I know Holden in Oz use this on V8's.

On the R32 you can kill the ESP, but I'm not sure if it is totally dead or still watching.
Old 20 May 2012, 08:14 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

You can fully disable the ESP on a R32, thankfully, as it does sometimes argue with the AWD when hoofing it hard, with it pre-emptively holding back the power when these is still plenty of traction, and it makes it bog down when doing quick standing starts.

The worrying trend these days is keeping them active and to make it more passive instead (like BMWs with their "sport+" mode ). Probably a good thing on FWD and RWD cars though, but it'd still be nice to have a full "off" mode

I was under the impression VAG's supercharger is operated via a magnetic clutch, so it disconnects when its not needed (bit like Mad Max's Falcon ),so it gives the instant punch when needed without the efficiency issues when cruising. It also pushes air into the turbo, helping it spin up to speed quicker too.

Love the displacement on demand on GM's and Chryslers engines (still 16 valve pushrods, proof pushrods can still work well in this age of multi cams and valves ) ... I wish VW would try that with their 3.6 VR6 engine instead of binning it. It would make a change from the 2.0 4pot turbos that seems to be the only option in hot hatch sector at the moment.
Old 20 May 2012, 08:34 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I was under the impression VAG's supercharger is operated via a magnetic clutch, so it disconnects when its not needed (bit like Mad Max's Falcon ),so it gives the instant punch when needed without the efficiency issues when cruising. It also pushes air into the turbo, helping it spin up to speed quicker too.

Love the displacement on demand on GM's and Chryslers engines (still 16 valve pushrods, proof pushrods can still work well in this age of multi cams and valves ) ... I wish VW would try that with their 3.6 VR6 engine instead of binning it. It would make a change from the 2.0 4pot turbos that seems to be the only option in hot hatch sector at the moment.
Ah a clutch, that makes sense.

Apparently the Mad Max Interceptor never actually had a blower on it and the button did nothing.

So it's called displacement on demand then? I forgot what it was called.

4 banger engines are really uninspiring although a boxer is passable. I heard that with the VR6 the issue is the head design being compromised due to the lack of space, so you end up with poor volumetric efficiency for a 4 valve per cylinder engine, heated runner, cooled headers, not enough space for direct injection?

I wish the could have done something like even make in a 2.0L 6 but make it a proper V engine with 4 cams and put a turbo on it. Of course this would be more costly than an I4.
Old 20 May 2012, 10:15 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

My sister has just taken delivery of a Polo GTi, to be honest, I was pretty surprised at the turn of pace the 1.4TSFi engine has... and the DSG box is very good at it's job. So quite keen to see what difference the bigger capacity of the 'R' makes.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 21 May 2012, 05:26 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

217bhp out of a 2ltr with a turbo and supercharger doesn't seem much?
Old 21 May 2012, 07:57 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
217bhp out of a 2ltr with a turbo and supercharger doesn't seem much?
Which mean it's probably de-tuned.

Which mean's extra power will be £500 away once the tuners get hold of it.

Last edited by stilover; 22 May 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 22 May 2012, 03:13 AM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
I dont know why VW has not taken up the twin scroll turbo's like so many other rivals (renault/vauxhall/peugeot etc) and bin the use of supercharger/single scroll turbocharger technology, though it will be good to see how this fairs against the DS3 racing.

Tony
Emissions and economy.
Old 22 May 2012, 08:28 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But a supercharger is normally belt driven, which takes power off the engine?
Hence most of the rivals use twin scroll and still have low emissions

Tony