Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Response from VW about me moaning...<thud>

Search this Thread

Old 11 April 2012, 10:27 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Response from VW about me moaning...<thud>

Was sifting through some old email accounts and found this: I forgot I sent it, shortly after test driving a scirocco R and being extremely annoyed by it being FWD only and sounding like a motorised fart (as opposed to the VR6 howl and torque band that I come accustomed to).....

Reference: VW-****/**-******

Dear Mr *****

Thank you for contacting us regarding your disappointment with the Golf R and Scirocco R. Please accept my apologies for the
delay in my response.

I was concerned to note your comments and I offer my apologies that you have not found a suitable replacement for your current
R32. Considerable market research is completed during the design of any Volkswagen vehicle and it is always helpful to receive
feedback of this kind, as customer acceptance is crucial to the success of our products.

As you may appreciate, it can take some time for designs to be improved and for those improvements to be implemented. Such
improvements are often made on the basis of customer comment and I have therefore passed your views back to the manufacturer via
our own Marketing Department.

Thank you for taking the time to contact Volkswagen UK and for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Yours sincerely

Carron C*****
Customer Service Advisor
Correspondence Team

< thud >

Something tells me they won't be shoehorning a 3.6 VR6 manual into a Golf or put AWD into a Scirocco anytime soon. I'll even make do with the Audi 2.5 5pot turbo lump

If it ever happens I'll demand it be christened the Golf/Scirocco R36 Edition ALi-B

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 April 2012 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11 April 2012, 10:44 AM
scoobynewbie72
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quattro would be so easy for them to play with, I know it starts to add weight and they are trying to avoid that to help with MPG figures
Old 11 April 2012, 11:51 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Thats what got my goat. I Can't find the original mail I sent, but if I wanted a car with good MPG, I'd buy a diesel or some hybrid thing or even Golf Gti. Most R32 owners I know don't care about the fuel consumption. Yes it hurts at the pumps, but its unescapeable for that kind of engine.

To me the Golf R was just a rebadged Audi S3 and Scirocco R is a GTi with a LSD and the boost turned up. Neither offers what the old R32 had - big engine wide powerband in a smallish car.

Closest is the TTRS. They've even fecked it up with the new RS3 by making it Avant and DSG only. I'd want a 3door manual (if I wanted practical I'd buy a SUV/MPV).

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 April 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 11 April 2012, 12:39 PM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

This is one of the reasons I'm in 2 minds as to whether I can let my VR6 go or not. The sheer rawness of it, the power delivery, the grunt and most of all that engine note (especially with a straight through, cams and in take!) is just so hard to find in this modern day world!
Old 14 April 2012, 10:11 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

They r never gonna put a v6 like that in a golf again imo. The road tax bracket means u might as well get a v8 bmw m3!!!! For slightly more money.
Old 14 April 2012, 11:11 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I've been mulling over replacements for ages and nothing seems to fit the niche. I owned/driven loads of different stuff and thats made me realise what I want in a car.

Don't want another 2.0 4pot turbo, been there done that, prefer big engine instant torque (the Monaro spoiled me). So thats a lot of stuff ruled out instantly (S3, Golf R, Evos, etc). 2.5 turbo is not enough in a impreza (still too laggy and gutless off boost), and I have mixed feelings of the VAG 2.5 5cylinder.

The problem with the M3 is its a coupe/saloon and its not exactly unique round here (they are all over the place ). I'd rather have the 1series M though TBH (on the list)...but coupe only again, so pretty impractical. Then theres the Z4M coupe (no longer made anyway)...but that lacks rear seats.

I like small hatchbacks with big engines. Now if the 1 seriesM was in hatchback form (regardless of how ugly), we'd have a winner....apart from the lack of AWD, which I would miss as I have to do a "do or die" standing start launch on to to a busy 60mph road almost daily...not so easy in the wet (which it so often is), which means a 10minute wait for a big enough gap in traffic.

Looked at RS4 estate. Its on the list, but I think its too big. There is a high risk it'll get used as a taxi service if I get anything bigger than a Golf in terms of rear legroom and people assume I can't get anything in the back of a 3door golf anyway (as its always rammed full of junk)...when secretly I can; I can fit in a set of 10ft step ladders, petrol lawn mowers (two!), and all of my camping gear, and even transported a fully built Rover v8 in the back of there (yes, I do use it as a van, hence the issue with coupes and saloons ).

TTRS is the only thing that comes close as it is available with a full manual transmission, but boot is a little too small. I nearly swapped for a TTS 3.2 (no longer made), but I decided to make the swap worthwhile it had to recaros and magnetic ride and they are like hens teeth (as most TTs are hairdresser spec 2.0 4pots ).

There is the RS3, but its i'd prefer it in 3door SWB form not the sportback, and DSG/S-tronic only means its automatically disqualified anyway. It has to have a full manual gearbox.

I don't really get this hoo har about high CO2 tax brackets....I mean £475 for 12months. Thats £1.30 a day to drive something nice, and really its not much compared to the £3000pa in fuel and £600pa for insurance. If people moan about road tax and running costs then they should be buying boring eco cars not making manufacturers ruin the few interesting cars they do make. Good/fun/fast cars rarely average over 30mpg, so I really resent people who buy a fast car then moan when they get twenty-something mpg.

So I'm stuck with what I have. I'm secretly hoping the engine will blow up so I can fit a 3.6 conversion out of the R36 then I'd never sell it
Old 14 April 2012, 08:03 PM
Scooby Senior

135i hatch?
Old 15 April 2012, 01:39 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Not made.....yet: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/sp...nce-41912.html

So there is potential, I would miss the AWD though, but probably could live with it if I shod it with decent wet weather tyres. Just as long as it doesn't have runflats and has space for a spare tyre (even a space saver). Runflats really do ruin all current BMWs even the latest so called "next generation" runflats. I've driven Imprezas on coil-overs which rides over bumps better than a basic SE spec Beamer.
Old 15 April 2012, 10:07 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Not made.....yet: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/sp...nce-41912.html

So there is potential, I would miss the AWD though, but probably could live with it if I shod it with decent wet weather tyres. Just as long as it doesn't have runflats and has space for a spare tyre (even a space saver). Runflats really do ruin all current BMWs even the latest so called "next generation" runflats. I've driven Imprezas on coil-overs which rides over bumps better than a basic SE spec Beamer.
The new one series has a seriously ugly front end, those lights, bonnet line and bumper are awful.
Old 15 April 2012, 10:40 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Yeah, 1 series was never a looker though, the new one is even worse. At least you don't see it from the drivers seat The whole front end styling on all the new beamers has been ruined for pedestrian safety (if you pop the bonnet on one you'll see the massively complex springy bonnet catches with little shock absorbers : http://i824.photobucket.com/albums/z...5/IMG_0703.jpg ). Its also partly why it has a one-piece front end bumper/grille moulding (well, and its cheaper to make) and a huge ugly shutline where it meets the bonnet (I've seen cars from the British leyland era with tighter/cleaner shut lines, albeit different on each side ).

Although I do think the front end is it is remiscent of the old 2000CS (my dad used to have one). Apart from the 2000cs was way cooler and prettier as its a pillarless coupe (no B-pillar) and both front and rear window wound right down - like a proper coupe should (as opposed to all these modern 2 door "saloons" ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 15 April 2012 at 10:47 AM.