Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Triumph TR4

Search this Thread

Old 15 March 2012, 08:01 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triumph TR4

OK, flat caps at the ready... I'm thinking of buying one to tinker with and improve - likely a hobby type thingy. They look nice and would be fun in the summer but I'm not sure if they're a real PIA or should be avoided at all costs! Does anyone on here have experience of owning / doing up a classic car?

DCI
Old 15 March 2012, 08:24 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

TR4, I would!
Old 15 March 2012, 09:50 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I would too!

Bought a classic mini to tinker with in the garage.Needed a bit too much tinkering for my liking/time though.

Bloody miss it though.Such good fun to drive old cars

I used to buy loads of classic car mags.Some good pointers in those with the usual suspects like TR's,Stags, etc being featured a lot with details of the 'watch out for' stuff
Old 15 March 2012, 09:56 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

IIRC there were two TR4s, the original was fitted with leaf springs, the latter TR4 irs, had the later TR5, TR6, independant rear suspension. I wuld prefer the TR5, 2.5 fuel injection, as in TR6, not the old TR3 four pot twin carb engine.
Old 25 March 2012, 04:04 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Just bear in mind they will be crap to drive compared to anything modern ( including mpv/4x4) and breake down regularly. Apeart from that , lovely!
Old 25 March 2012, 07:56 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Know someone old boy (well he several years retired anyway ) with a tr3 - beautiful in pale blue . I dont suppose he did the restoration , and im sure its still a massive labour of love . Dont know if hes still got it - of course you only ever see it days like today
Old 26 March 2012, 12:36 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi there,

Have a look around here http://www.tr-register.co.uk/ & http://www.tr-register.co.uk/tr4.php

Here is a good place for advice and also parts, been using them on and off for 20 yrs http://www.moss-europe.co.uk/Browse/...&PlateTypeID=1

The big killer of classics is RUST which can make them uneconomic or even unrepairable.

You will find that mosrt parts are avaliable from the likes of Moss and often they are reasonably priced.

The engine and mechanicals are simple and straight forward to work on as is the electrical system.

As long as you treat it as a hobby you will be fine.

I owned two AH sprites which cost me little to maintain and run. It is important to buy a good solid car to begin with, tatty with a few problems is just fine as long as it is solid.
Old 26 March 2012, 12:56 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

also the TR4a think this had the disc's up front
Old 26 March 2012, 07:44 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Do like the old TR's. I live in the next village to TR Enterprises and drive past every day.They have a pair of lovely Historic Rally prepared TR4's in at the moment.
Old 26 March 2012, 08:42 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

[quote=mattvortex;10549384]Just bear in mind they will be crap to drive compared to anything modern[quote]

Stupid thing was I loved no power steering,wind up windows,crap suspension,noise,the smell of petrol and 'oldness' and 50 mph felt far more fun than a zillion miles an hour in cosseted luxury

Just so hard to explain but new cars have taken so much away

Prefer a new one for every day and a day on the motorway though!
Old 26 March 2012, 09:06 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=lozgti1;10551188][quote=mattvortex;10549384]Just bear in mind they will be crap to drive compared to anything modern

Stupid thing was I loved no power steering,wind up windows,crap suspension,noise,the smell of petrol and 'oldness' and 50 mph felt far more fun than a zillion miles an hour in cosseted luxury

Just so hard to explain but new cars have taken so much away

Prefer a new one for every day and a day on the motorway though!
You know what I must agree 100%. I bought a 1972 Land Rover last March and I've only had the Scoob out FOUR times since. daft but I enjoy driving the Landy as much as the Scoob but for very different reasons obviously.