Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

335d SE - should I buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2012, 08:45 PM
JackTorrence
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 335d SE - should I buy one?

Hi, I am thinking of buying a 335d SE on a 2009 plate. It looks nice, has leather and heated seats but not much else in the way of extras. It's only done 23k miles and is £18k.

I can't decide whether to get it or get an M-Sport model. The same reg is quite a bit more money. I currently have a 123d also on an SE spec but it had loads of extras. I did kind of regret not buying an M-Sport at the time but they were at least £3k extra with the same spec. I had a 325d a few years ago and the M-Sport suspension was really hard. So I am totally confused?

I have seen some SE models with different alloys (my neighbor) and they look really nice. I want to keep this car for at least 4 years to keep th wife happy so I need to get it right.

I can prob get a 325 M-Sport that's has less power but looks nicer, or get the rocket that is the 335? help?!
Old 12 February 2012, 09:51 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Eh?
Sat nav sent you to the wrong forum flower

Try m3cutters or another BMW forum
Old 12 February 2012, 09:53 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

lol@this thread.
Old 12 February 2012, 10:42 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should post on pistonheads and ask about how they go when mapped.
Old 12 February 2012, 10:49 PM
Guinness
Scooby Regular

Ive got a 335d Sport Touring..

It's been remapped to approx 340 bhp and over 500 lbs/ft..

Personally I'm not keen on the SE model..

Alan..
Old 12 February 2012, 11:14 PM
JackTorrence
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by donny andi
Eh?
Sat nav sent you to the wrong forum flower

Try m3cutters or another BMW forum
Isn't this meant to be anything "Non Scooby Related" Which means my sat nav was working after all.
Old 12 February 2012, 11:29 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

If it's got the option 19" wheels and sports seats then it'll look almost as good as an M-Sport model, but otherwise I'd hang on for an M-Sport coupe as they look fantastic. Sounds like a good price for a 2009 model with that mileage tho, SE or not!
Old 12 February 2012, 11:56 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I'd have one like a shot, especially an M-Sport Touring. AlanC who used to post on here swapped his Type20 for one and never looked back. Sure, it's not as taught and composed in the twisties, but un-mapped he outpaced StickyStuff's 400bhp STi on the Autobahn, and after the map pushing 350/500 it was phenomenal. Over 2000 miles to Stelvio and back with the WYIOC it still managed 45mpg too, and in the car park at work he doesn't look like a yobbo any more.
Old 13 February 2012, 08:11 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

The problem I see with these cars is that they may have more power than they can use.

My 5 series is like that and I wonder if that applies to the 3 series as well, though of course my 5 series is bigger and heavier.

There is no point getting my 535d remapped because it's not a lack of power stopping me drive faster it's everything else. The brakes aren't good enough, the steering a little inert, suspension sometimes a little soft, run flat tyres composure over certain surfaces poor.

This is why M, AMG and RS cars are a lot more than just a family saloon with lots of power.

I'm not sure of how many of these issues I've mentioned affect the three series but if they do I really can't see the point in remapping these cars.

Last edited by Dingdongler; 13 February 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 13 February 2012, 12:10 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Sensible way to look at it.

Les
Old 13 February 2012, 02:38 PM
donny andi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackTorrence
Isn't this meant to be anything "Non Scooby Related" Which means my sat nav was working after all.
Ok let's start again........... Because I'm bored
Post 1.... Your after advice on a BMW and own one at present.....still with me, not bored yet?
My reply.....join a BMW forum and ask there, would of been different if you was after Subaru advice

Post 2.....you get the **** on with my reply
My reply......big deal join a BMW site
Old 13 February 2012, 04:41 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
The problem I see with these cars is that they may have more power than they can use.

My 5 series is like that and I wonder if that applies to the 3 series as well, though of course my 5 series is bigger and heavier.

There is no point getting my 535d remapped because it's not a lack of power stopping me drive faster it's everything else. The brakes aren't good enough, the steering a little inert, suspension sometimes a little soft, run flat tyres composure over certain surfaces poor.

This is why M, AMG and RS cars are a lot more than just a family saloon with lots of power.

I'm not sure of how many of these issues I've mentioned affect the three series but if they do I really can't see the point in remapping these cars.
Well, i love my remapped 535d. 750 nm of torque, 350bhp..it goes like the clappers and stops in a heart beat.. Been round the ring..awsome..

My friend has a 2009 335d remapped and its power figures were slightly higher and it feels quicker when you drive it...the only issue is the 335d is a 4 seater..

If i were to buy a non sport version, not sure i would but it would need a suspension upgrade for hard driving..

ps: you will need some decent tyres..with a high side wall rating - this helps when going round the twists ;-)

Last edited by SamUK; 13 February 2012 at 04:45 PM.
Old 13 February 2012, 05:40 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SamUK
Well, i love my remapped 535d. 750 nm of torque, 350bhp..it goes like the clappers and stops in a heart beat.. Been round the ring..awsome..

My friend has a 2009 335d remapped and its power figures were slightly higher and it feels quicker when you drive it...the only issue is the 335d is a 4 seater..

If i were to buy a non sport version, not sure i would but it would need a suspension upgrade for hard driving..

ps: you will need some decent tyres..with a high side wall rating - this helps when going round the twists ;-)

Horses for courses then I suppose
Old 13 February 2012, 06:10 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope - your sat nav is ****e as you should have posted in other marques
Old 13 February 2012, 06:40 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I can see where Ding is coming from. I have a 335i msport that's currently for sale btw. Everyone bangs on about me getting it remapped. If I was keepin it and wanted to mod the first thing I'd do is fit a LSD and change to non runflats rather than a ramap.
Old 13 February 2012, 06:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I've said that about Scoobs for years too, hence why all the mods on mine were to the chassis and suspension. Quite a few big power guys were shocked when I disappeared into the distance on challenging roads running just PPP 265bhp. My car was rock solid stable at insane speeds, whereas they were always fighting to control the hurricane under the bonnet, terrified what might happen over the next crest. I just pressed on regardless, confident in its abilities. If I ever had a Scoob again it would be similar, maybe a Type 20. However, I'd have a 335D before that given the choice. My dream set-up would be towing my SDR V-Storm WR3 with my 335D Touring to Cadwell every weekend.
Old 13 February 2012, 09:10 PM
JackTorrence
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brun
Nope - your sat nav is ****e as you should have posted in other marques
Originally Posted by donny andi
Ok let's start again........... Because I'm bored
Post 1.... Your after advice on a BMW and own one at present.....still with me, not bored yet?
My reply.....join a BMW forum and ask there, would of been different if you was after Subaru advice

Post 2.....you get the **** on with my reply
My reply......big deal join a BMW site
I don't think you two understand, the forum was for anything "NON Scooby" related. No unless I am mistaken I asked about something that wasn't related to a Scooby. If you don't like where it's posted then you should set the forum out better and make it crystal clear where to post "NON Scooby" related questions.
Old 13 February 2012, 09:16 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I don't think you two understand, the forum was for anything "NON Scooby" related. No unless I am mistaken I asked about something that wasn't related to a Scooby. If you don't like where it's posted then you should set the forum out better and make it crystal clear where to post "NON Scooby" related questions.
In our humble little forums defence, however, right underneath "Non Scooby Related" it does say "Other Marques", which to an educated gentleman such as yourself would not seem a better place to put it? Especially when seeking advice on 'another marque'?

Anyway, I digress, best of luck with your search - there are plenty of BMW owners in here
Old 14 February 2012, 12:00 AM
JackTorrence
Scooby Regular

This is so dumb, your trying to split hairs here when it makes no difference. I never disputed the "Other Marques" section, I simply pointed out that I did not post in the wrong forum. I got plenty of replies anyway so what difference does it make. If people are not supposed to post non related Scooby material in the non Scooby related section then make it clear!

I bought a car anyway so this is all just background noise now. I joined the BMW forum and they have a section for "3 series" so there is no ambiguity over where people post.
Old 14 February 2012, 05:28 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Good for you. Pleasure conversing and I hope you're happy with you choice of car.
Old 14 February 2012, 06:41 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

This is so dumb, your trying to split hairs here when it makes no difference. I never disputed the "Other Marques" section, I simply pointed out that I did not post in the wrong forum. I got plenty of replies anyway so what difference does it make. If people are not supposed to post non related Scooby material in the non Scooby related section then make it clear!

I bought a car anyway so this is all just background noise now. I joined the BMW forum and they have a section for "3 series" so there is no ambiguity over where people post.

So between your two last posts ie between 2100hrs and midnight you've bought a car?
Old 14 February 2012, 06:45 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Get **** all with my SE version in the way of extras

Parking sensors which I always think are for the truly ungifted and climate

M sport stufff is nothing in the way of 'power' just adds prettiness...wheels,seats etc.Seats are way nicer than basic though
Old 14 February 2012, 08:35 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

TBH, you could merge ALL the bloody forums on SNet into one and it wouldn't be as busy as it used to be. Who cares if it's in the wrong place, especially as in OM it would have probably gone unnoticed.
Old 14 February 2012, 08:48 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoboy
I've said that about Scoobs for years too, hence why all the mods on mine were to the chassis and suspension. Quite a few big power guys were shocked when I disappeared into the distance on challenging roads running just PPP 265bhp. My car was rock solid stable at insane speeds, whereas they were always fighting to control the hurricane under the bonnet, terrified what might happen over the next crest. I just pressed on regardless, confident in its abilities. If I ever had a Scoob again it would be similar, maybe a Type 20. However, I'd have a 335D before that given the choice. My dream set-up would be towing my SDR V-Storm WR3 with my 335D Touring to Cadwell every weekend.
This is so true, people become so obsessed with numbers, and forget handling and brakes as well as a bit of driver training, but being into bikes you learn things like that as soon as you get something half decent.

I love cadwell, i used to muller much bigger bikes on my little VFR NC30 that was fettled by RMD, not all about power, agility and delivery go along way.

Power is nothing without control.
Old 14 February 2012, 10:12 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

M8 take a chill Pill..
Old 14 February 2012, 10:15 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

No, you're dumb. Its not rocket science is it:

guess what a BMW is - oh yes a Non Subaru Vehicle as the listing shows.

Don't mean to be off, but jog on noob.

(BMW owner too - and I know where to post about it )
Old 14 February 2012, 10:16 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Get **** all with my SE version in the way of extras

Parking sensors which I always think are for the truly ungifted and climate

M sport stufff is nothing in the way of 'power' just adds prettiness...wheels,seats etc.Seats are way nicer than basic though
My SE has loads Well specced by the original owner and its an E92 so came with a few nice bits over the saloon and touring anyway
Old 14 February 2012, 08:22 PM
JackTorrence
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
No, you're dumb. Its not rocket science is it:

guess what a BMW is - oh yes a Non Subaru Vehicle as the listing shows.

Don't mean to be off, but jog on noob.

(BMW owner too - and I know where to post about it )
Another jobsworth with nothing better to do. I can post in either section since they are technically both for "non Subaru" vehicles. If its so wrong to post about it in here, and you are a BMW driver like you claim to be then why are you here!! And why bother replying with nothing that is constructive. Looks like your the noob to me fella.

Also to the other noob trying to be smart, I didn't say I bought the car between any specific time, that was just the time I posted my reply. BMW dealers take calls upto 10pm so I can agree in principle to buy the car up to that point.

Also I decided not to buy another SE as it feels cheap. I always thought it gave off the image that I couldn't really afford the M-Sport even though I can. So to that end I binned the '09 and went for a nearly new '60 plate with more spec than you can shake a big stick at.
Old 14 February 2012, 08:27 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Another jobsworth with nothing better to do. I can post in either section since they are technically both for "non Subaru" vehicles. If its so wrong to post about it in here, and you are a BMW driver like you claim to be then why are you here!! And why bother replying with nothing that is constructive. Looks like your the noob to me fella.

Also to the other noob trying to be smart, I didn't say I bought the car between any specific time, that was just the time I posted my reply. BMW dealers take calls upto 10pm so I can agree in principle to buy the car up to that point.

Also I decided not to buy another SE as it feels cheap. I always thought it gave off the image that I couldn't really afford the M-Sport even though I can. So to that end I binned the '09 and went for a nearly new '60 plate with more spec than you can shake a big stick at.
ffs grow up mate..you have only just joined the forum...try to make some friends.. ;-)

yes go to to a bmw forum if you only want to talk about BMW's...
Old 14 February 2012, 08:53 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Most prestige dealers close there doors at 7pm.

By the way hello Alan

Quick Reply: 335d SE - should I buy one?