BMW 320i coupe vs Audi A3 1.8T S Line

Search this Thread

Old 31 January 2012, 11:19 AM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 320i coupe vs Audi A3 1.8T S Line

Hi Chaps

I'm deciding at the moment whether to sell the Scoob as due to a change in cercumstances we only have one income at the moment so I need to cut back a little. While I can still afford the Scoob its getting harder and harder to justify with the increasing cost of fuel/insurance plus with over 90k on the clock I'm starting to get nervous so want something with lower mileage and a little more comfort as its our only car (The Mrs doesn't drive). I only do 8-10k a year so will stick with a petrol car due to the lack of motorway driving I do and have narrowed it down to the above options...

What would you guys choose out of the BMW and Audi and does anyone have any experience of either? I've also looked at the Leon FR as my brother has had 3 (Cupras) and loves them but I cant quite get my head around the styling.

What do you guys think?
Old 31 January 2012, 02:04 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

The e9x 2.0i is the worst most problematic engine in the range, discussed on here before, better to look at the 2.0d.
Old 31 January 2012, 03:07 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

seems to be alot of people on here lately asking what audi they should buy ..... feckin eeeeeejots! haha

Enjoy your euro****boxundersteerenwagon! :-)
Old 31 January 2012, 03:25 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

^^^Congrats on the useful posts there^^^

Are you really sure selling the Scoob for a BMW or Audi is going to save you money? I can't see the 1.8T doing that many more MPG than the scoob.

What models are we talking about here anyway? Classic/Newage or E46 or E90. MK1 A3 or MK2?

Both germans will be more expensive to repair.
Old 31 January 2012, 03:59 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Agreed. Not worth the move in my opinion.
The BMW and Audi will not save you any money.
Old 31 January 2012, 04:09 PM
AWDsu
Scooby Regular

Mate, if you want to save money , let it be temporary, but it also needs to be extreme.i drove a 320i saloon in 2010,before the mazda,and now the scooby ,...the beema isnt cheap to run, and not even nice. I suggest IF you feel that you gotta share a car to save money , then go for a supamini , or one of the new small diesels. new PAnda diesel is a crakin car, and youll get 60MPG on town work , that'll be your worst consumption figure.Ive driven the remarkable diesel KIA rio 1.1 , just like an Astra , but almost 80MPG , but thatll be about 10k to buy. thats my advice, if your selling, then go extreme but keep it temporary, give yourself twelve months or two years ONLY. Then return to sanity and us lot !!!!!! LoL
Old 31 January 2012, 05:17 PM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback so far guys it's appreciated. As I mentioned the swith is not primarily about saving money

1 - I'm looking for something with lower miles due to mine hitting 90k

2- I'm requiring a little more comfort in my old age!

3- although I said its not all about saving money £400 to ensure a 3 yr old audi\BMW vs £1k for my Scoob is a good saving for starters, add road tax and standard unleaded vs v power there must be a saving there even before factoring in MPG

Add to that most of my driving is around town ao I rarely get to stretch the scoobs legs so it's more about justifying the spend rather than needing to reduce it.

I love my car and I may test drive the Audi/BMW and change my mind but just wanted to gain some other views first

Interesting comment on costs of repair though I'll look into that
Old 01 February 2012, 09:30 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

If its town driving then the supermini idea might be worth a look.

You haven't said if we are talking classic or newage scoob or what your budget is.

If we are looking at sub £5K then the 3 series is going to be an e46 and almost all of them are pushing more thna 90K miles. Not sure if when you say A3 you mean mk1 or mk2 - the mk1 is the same as a mk4 golf and a mk1 leon. Infact while testing an S3 a while back the dash is exactly the same as my wifes Leon.

My current position is that I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee which cost me nothing to run. Its so basic mechanically (although has electric everything and cruise) it all just works. However, its 4.0L petrol and makes a scoob look frugal and its also group 17 and only about £50 less to insure than an Impreza.

So I've been looking at replacements and not too far from where you've been looking - e46 and Seat Leon. I've also looked at Octavia vRS and Megane 225 - I need 4 doors.

I think the Octy is probably the best value. Personally, I'd prefer a Leon Cupra R.
Old 01 February 2012, 10:06 AM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

So my budget would be around 10-12k depending on the value of my 03 WRX (modded to 260bhp with STI spoiler) although I'm not holding out much hope for getting much for it!

As you quite rightly say the petrol engines do not offer a significant benefit vs my Scoob in terms of MPG so the saving would be cancelled out with one large bill so after a bit of research the BMW deisel engine looks to be the way to go. My concern is I have seen feedback that the new deisel engines need regular motorway runs to keep the filters clean or they can get clogged up/damaged is that right?

£12k looks to be able to get me an 07/08 120d with 40k on the clock so this is my preference at present.

My brother has had 3 Leons, a Cupra R & FR in the older shape and a Cupra in the new shape and he loves them however I can't quite get my head around the styling of the new model but it does appear to be a lot of car for the money vs Audi or BMW.
Old 01 February 2012, 11:23 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

OK.

One thing that puts me off modern diesels is this business about short journeys. It would appear that short journeys do clog these particulate filters up and they aren't cheap to replace. Theres also the issue with dual mass flywheels that seem to go randomly rather than at specified mileage. Injectors seem to be another issue costing hundreds each and seeming costly to fit.

I don't think I'll be doing enough miles to warrant diesel - plus one big bill and any savings could be wiped out for that year or even the length of time you own the car if its a big one.

For me with £12K I'd be looking at an estate of some sort in the 3 series, A4 range. Vauxhall Insignia is nice - hired one for a day and really liked it. Not a Ford man so don't like Mondeo - even though it seems highly regarded.

Bills for the Audi and BMW are always going to be more than Subaru. I would be tempted to risk diesel if I'm honest so would be looking at 320D e90, B7 A4 170 TDI. Or 320i BMW or 2.0T Audi. One thing to note the B7 Audi sat nav doesn't do UK post code - blooming stupid IMO - and can be a pain to program if you don't know the street. My mother has a B7 140 TDI Automatic which is OK for her but a bit boring - I would even say the Insignia was better.

In fact why not just get a Spec D
Old 03 February 2012, 09:35 AM
Gary WRX
Scooby Regular

I think you're right about the diesel I'm thinking further ahead and with both sets of our parents getting older I need to plan for being able to do more long journeys to visit them in future I needs be so new plan.

I'm going to hold onto the Scoob for another year and then I'll be in a position to go for a 123d which will give me the power and fuel consumption :-)
Old 04 February 2012, 08:54 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
If its town driving then the supermini idea might be worth a look.

You haven't said if we are talking classic or newage scoob or what your budget is.

If we are looking at sub £5K then the 3 series is going to be an e46 and almost all of them are pushing more thna 90K miles. Not sure if when you say A3 you mean mk1 or mk2 - the mk1 is the same as a mk4 golf and a mk1 leon. Infact while testing an S3 a while back the dash is exactly the same as my wifes Leon.

My current position is that I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee which cost me nothing to run. Its so basic mechanically (although has electric everything and cruise) it all just works. However, its 4.0L petrol and makes a scoob look frugal and its also group 17 and only about £50 less to insure than an Impreza.

So I've been looking at replacements and not too far from where you've been looking - e46 and Seat Leon. I've also looked at Octavia vRS and Megane 225 - I need 4 doors.

I think the Octy is probably the best value. Personally, I'd prefer a Leon Cupra R.
I also like the Leon Cupra but at just 29 years old, I would feel to old for it!
Ah sod it. Stuff what anyone else thinks.