Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Skoda Octavia VRS ??

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2012, 10:04 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skoda Octavia VRS ??

Anyone know much about them ?? believe they are fairly quick and can be very, very good on the fuel figures ??!! any particular models to look out for ?? reliablty ?? are all vrs models diesel ??
Old 16 January 2012, 10:15 AM
dbrad
Scooby Regular

I am on the look out for a 2008 VRS CR TDI, there is a petrol VRS available too. My current 2001 VRS has done over 115k and it is getting tired now hence the swap. There are 2 types of VRS Diesel available, the CR and PD. From the research I have done both are capable of high 50mpg but the CR is smoother and quieter than the PD. Both have a Diesel Particulate Filter that can give trouble but it can be removed. Remaps on the Diesel give better MPG and a shed load more torque.
Old 16 January 2012, 10:50 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

The diesel particulate filter is the same as any similar car, as long as you are doing some decent length journeys for it to heat up and burn off the $hit it filters they are fine, it's when they are only used for short town journeys problems start
Old 16 January 2012, 10:56 AM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DPF filter and injectors, apart form those, great going car, had a new one in 08 for a year and a half and it was reasonably economic and quick enough for a company car. The VRs came in petrol and diesel.
Old 16 January 2012, 11:53 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Excellent appreciatte the info guys, majority off mileage I do is town driving / short stop / start runs so probably better going for the petrol model ??
noticed this one on ebay :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

they actually look a very nice car even in estate form and seem to have a great spec particulaly the one in the above link.

any idea of road tax price on a 2008 vrs 2.0 petrol ?? fuel figures around twon would surely be a lot,lot better than the scooby ??!!
Old 16 January 2012, 08:41 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

I had a white petrol 11 plate hire car. I loved it to be honest for a reasonably quick large family car. I got a few people asking what it was, believe it or not. I was a tad disappointed with the interior squeaks and rattles, the car only had 1300 miles on the clock.
Better mpg than the Scoob, but not massively so. Very relaxing to drive, I would seriously consider one. Ticked most boxes for a cheap new family car.
Old 16 January 2012, 10:59 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

I have a tdi vrs and I love it, I am very lucky (work dam hard) and have the best of both scooby and vrs.

Tdi driven hard gets 46mpg take it easy and you can get 55 ish.
Old 16 January 2012, 11:49 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Buy a petrol if short journeys and town driving or the dpf will give you a big headache.
My brother has petrol Vrs and average (a lot of town driving) is around 30mpg, may be just under.
Think car tax is £210 on those, but type car tax bands in search browser to get costs for bands then look on autotrader for one and look at the stats to see what emissions they are.
Old 18 January 2012, 02:08 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

okay thanks again guys yep decided its got to be the petrol version,problem is finding a low mileage one they all seem to have been to the moon and back !!
seen one for sale locally a 2008 2.0 petrol Oct vrs estate,only 27k,one owner with fsh but only is looking for 8.5k-this expensive?
I take all petrol versions are non Turbo ?
Old 18 January 2012, 08:05 AM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

My wife had a petrol one for a couple of years.

Better mpg than my old wrx ppp but not massively so.....approx 10% better

Was a nice drive, brisk but not fast, comfy and a decent size. Good boot!

We had no issues for 2 years then just before we sold, there was an issue with the airbag and traction contol .... Both common faults and both expensive. Although we were out of warranty skoda did contribute 60% of the cost which helped.

Liked the car a lot to be honest.
Old 18 January 2012, 08:17 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jono300
I take all petrol versions are non Turbo ?
The new ones seem to be 2ltr not sure if these are turbo'd, earlier ones are 1.8 Turbo. I quite like these motors and considering one myself at the minute
Old 18 January 2012, 09:32 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay sorry guys did not realise even the petrol ones were turbocharged- what no bonnet scoop ??!! 10% better than the scooby on MPG figures - argh not really what I wanted to here !! to be honest was kinda hoping it would be nearer 30mpg around town, the vast majority off our family driving is done around town with a lot off stop / start type journies and to be honest at 23mpg just can really afford to keep fuelling the scooby every second day or so and thought the octy vrs would be a good choice particularly as I like the space given by the estate version- be the first car the family dog will be allowed in for a few years !!! !
Old 18 January 2012, 12:46 PM
CupraT
Scooby Regular

I guess you need to look at my mpg in context.

On the run I did which is 80% motorway, 15% a road and 5% town, I'd get 30mpg in the scoob and 33 to 34 in the skoda. Same driving style. I do very little town driving outside of this and the same journey most days.

On longer motorway runs, the skoda would do 36 to 38 whilst the scoob wouldn't go above 32.

Both cars had 20k on the clock when we got rid of them.

I also owned an a3 2.0tdi which would do 42 on the same run, a 120d BMW which did 44 and now have a merc convert which is averaging 41. These figures are averages over 20 to 40k of ownership.
Old 18 January 2012, 02:30 PM
Bean1984
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

We have these for our response cars. Awesome cars to drive and can take a fair bit of abuse. Cant really say ours are that great on desiel however we are nomally on blue lights driving a bit harder then normal
Old 18 January 2012, 06:18 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Okay sorry guys did not realise even the petrol ones were turbocharged- what no bonnet scoop ??!! 10% better than the scooby on MPG figures - argh not really what I wanted to here !! to be honest was kinda hoping it would be nearer 30mpg around town, the vast majority off our family driving is done around town with a lot off stop / start type journies and to be honest at 23mpg just can really afford to keep fuelling the scooby every second day or so and thought the octy vrs would be a good choice particularly as I like the space given by the estate version- be the first car the family dog will be allowed in for a few years !!! !
Yep they are all turbo VAG units, earlier ones are the 1.8 20valve turbo 4 cylinder units and the later are the 2 litre TFSI turbo unit as found in the later shape golf gti's.
As I mentioned earlier my brother gets around 30mpg and he lives in town and his missus works in town so it is used in town a lot.
My bosses VRs Tdi I have used once on a journey of around 100 miles combining town, rural and motorway roads and the average was 37mpg which I don't think was that great, but his is an auto (DSG) box. Diesels are £165 a year to tax.
Price seems fair for the one mentioned above, estates are worth a bit more than petrols, diesels are worth even more, for instance my bosses 08 diesel estate was up for 11k I think, and that was with 60k on the clock.
Even the hatch has a huge boot.

Last edited by WRXrowdy; 18 January 2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 18 January 2012, 08:26 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I think the vrs is a great car but the vrs tdi was a let down. I frequently drove a colleagues to cov and back and it just wasn't a nice drive, didn't feel well put together and dissapointing performance, really showed when we'd get back from the trip and I jumped into my e92 330d. Petrol version was a far nicer drive.
Old 18 January 2012, 09:04 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like a Golf, but not a Golf, but a hatchback.

And all the better for all that.
Old 18 January 2012, 10:59 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Some great info there guys really do appreciatte that, scooby just gone so looks very much like this may well be the next car on the driveway !!
Old 19 January 2012, 09:24 PM
Andy Murdoch
Scooby Regular

My daily driver (wife's car) is a 2011 vRS petrol. This has the new VAG VW/Audi engine - 200bhp. 6 speed box, excellent torque. Superb to drive and excellent build quality. Hatchback boot is huge. This is our second one and I honestly don't see anything as good for the same money. It is better than a Scooby in so many departments (of course not as rapid). 37mpg o/a.

When I jump into my Scoob I can get 1 CD in the door pocket! Where is the stowage space?

Please go and test drive one and I think you'll be hooked. Skoda are happy drivers!
(they also have a great rally team in the IRC!)
Old 19 January 2012, 09:38 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I have had a 1.8T 'Tavia mk1 and a PD TDi vRS which was a company car and replaced with a 320D last April.

I would have the Skoda back in a heartbeat over the beemer.

Mine was bright red (Lightning McQueen red according to my little lad) and looked superb

Steve
Old 19 January 2012, 10:18 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy Murdoch
My daily driver (wife's car) is a 2011 vRS petrol. This has the new VAG VW/Audi engine - 200bhp. 6 speed box, excellent torque. Superb to drive and excellent build quality. Hatchback boot is huge. This is our second one and I honestly don't see anything as good for the same money. It is better than a Scooby in so many departments (of course not as rapid). 37mpg o/a.

When I jump into my Scoob I can get 1 CD in the door pocket! Where is the stowage space?

Please go and test drive one and I think you'll be hooked. Skoda are happy drivers!
(they also have a great rally team in the IRC!)
Okay cheers thanks again for the comments / advice guys certainly seems a popular car !! the one I am looking at is a 2008 2.0 petrol model not sure if they changed the petrol engine version on the slightly newer models ?

not being funny but if they are turbocharged do they work the same as the scooby ie. have to be warmed up / cooled down prior to use ?? also where is the all important bonnet scoop to aid cooling off the turbo charger ??!! bit confused re the turbo used on these cars and just how they differ to the ones found in the scooby etc ?? never here off remaps upping the boost level on these types off turbos, anyone explain for me ??
Old 22 January 2012, 05:09 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Well,I think they are a fantastic bit of kit and I'd love one.

Used to frequent Briskoda when I had the old shaped one with the 1.8T(which was great fun but new one lot nicer cabin)

I should think any bit of info you need will be on there and they are a friendly and knowledgable bunch
Old 22 January 2012, 09:52 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Are they more reliable than the VW Golf?
Old 23 January 2012, 12:31 PM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

I had a white '08' vRS TDI hatch with the pump diesel engine from new for a couple of years, used to frequently return around 40mpg during reasonably brisk driving on the 15 mile mostly-country-roads drive to and from work, and from a practical point had an absolutely massive boot. Very well put together cars! Wish I'd never gotten rid of it and currently planning to replace my current Mazda 6 with a vRS TDI estate this summer as the daily family wagon.
Old 23 January 2012, 01:31 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay cheers yep decided its going to be an octavia vrs next, just looking for a nice low mileage diesel estate version - do they exist ??!!
been offered a petrol one but to be honest I think now is possibly the time to make the change over !!! is roadtax normally any cheaper on diesel cars ??

lastly appreciatte that a lot off folk say dont go for diesel if doing less than 7000 miles a year and if its town driving you mainly do then expect problems, if you were to give the car a decent 10 miles run off motorway driving would this be enough to prevent probs ??!
Old 29 January 2012, 09:11 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Guys had my first test drive in an Octavia vrs earlier today, a 2.0 2008 petrol engine estate version must admitt the short drive I had off it did not feel particulaly quick but comming from the blob wrx then no doubt think it will take a while to get used too, even if its supposdly only 25BHP off a difference ??!!

one thing I did notice about the one I drove was there was virtually no movement on the handbrake, thought there was actually something under the lever stopping it going down but no, is this normal on an 2008 octavia vrs ?? have asked over on Briskoda but as yet no reply just wondered from anyone here who has used one if you had noticed similar regards this ??

but yep again nice big roomy car- again was the estate version so plenty off room for the dog to finally go mobile again !!! bright red- xenons, cruise control, parking sensors, interior mirror and jumbo box extras.

2008 model with just 27k on the clock at 8.5k, the diesels are priced way over this for same year / much higher mileage- decisions ??!!

take it the insurance will be a lot cheaper than the wrx ??
Old 29 January 2012, 09:21 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Sounds good, see if you can find another to test drive to compare noises, feel, thing such as the handbrake etc. I test drove 2 B classes before settling on one and there was a big difference between the two. The first one stank of petrol, the second one didn't. The first one was silent over bumps, the second one sounded clonky. The dealer said this was normal, yet I knew better so insisted they sorted it then bought it.
Old 30 January 2012, 07:45 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

2008 model with just 27k on the clock at 8.5k, the diesels are priced way over this for same year / much higher mileage- ??
What a bargain!!! Paid 11k for 2007 3 series diesel,45k on clock,no real extras.Sure the equivalent (to the octavia) golf gti be lots more and for no good reason.Be interesting to see!

So much car for the money.Forget the diesels.Overpriced for no good reason...I miss having a rev range.Pain changing at 4,000rpm!
Old 30 January 2012, 08:30 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
What a bargain!!! Paid 11k for 2007 3 series diesel,45k on clock,no real extras.Sure the equivalent (to the octavia) golf gti be lots more and for no good reason.Be interesting to see!

So much car for the money.Forget the diesels.Overpriced for no good reason...I miss having a rev range.Pain changing at 4,000rpm!
Agree with you there but Im not about to shout it, I would never buy a diesel for many reasons and I get the same car for a lot less.
Old 30 January 2012, 10:42 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Okay thanks for the continued advice guys, have asked over on Briskoda regards what I noticed with the handbrake but no one seems to want to answer me for some reason ??!! as I say possibly they all like that or maybe just requires adjustment whatever would want it checked out before buying the car.

but yep decent price, same spec , same colour car with very similar mileage was listed on ebay earlier tonight at 10.5k, yep 2k over this price. infact belive it or not that same car I am looking at just now was traded in to a local garage last week, was offered it for 7500 prior to the guy trading it in but missed it by a day due to not selling my own car in time, even thou its a decent price its hurts me to pay over 1k more for the same car for the sake off a week and a different seller !!
the guy had it listed on ebat, pistonheads etc but could just not shift it, if it was the same car but disel I bet folk would have been phoning up all day long !! guess thirsty cars are not the flavour off the month just now !!

phoned the insurance company today regards changing over to the vrs from the scooby and must admitt its not as cheap as I thought it would be to insure, appreciatte its a 200BHP car but SKY are wanting only £50 less than what I was paying for the wrx with them, may phone around for a few more quotes as to be fair this was just changing over cars within the same policy and guess I would get much better quotes takling out a new policy.

will see if I can find out about this handbrake ?? take it from you guys who have driven an octavia vrs this is not normal ??

Quick Reply: Skoda Octavia VRS ??