Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Not quite a GT3RS....

But it will do for now.

Pick it up next week, im quite excited.
Old 14 January 2012, 05:41 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw you asking advice on PH, I guess the positives outweighed the negatives.
Old 14 January 2012, 06:08 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Myles
I saw you asking advice on PH, I guess the positives outweighed the negatives.
Didnt come across that many negatives really, everyone who has had one said they would have it back or still have one and loved it, this example has had no expense spared and its left me a float to keep it in good fettle, insurance, tax and MOT will cost about £500 for the year, depreciation isnt an issue as I think its gone as far as its going to, not sayign they will ever be worth a vast amount but I dont think I will lose much, certainly not as much as buying say an Astra. Only do a low mileage, do my own spannering by and large so it seems a good proposition, the wodge of bills and old MOT's is impressive. I didnt mind the Saab I have atthe moment but this is altogether more interesting.
Old 14 January 2012, 06:22 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Nice. I assume this is the S2 cab?

I drove mine pretty hard and it seemed to work out about 2k per year to run it. I'd assume with normal road driving it would cost about £1k per year. I bet the caliper plates need money spending on them soon!
Old 14 January 2012, 06:36 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

It's that old car in the background you've really bought, isn't it?

Anyway, if its that red thing in the fore ground - I know nothing about them.

Congrats, anyhow.
Old 14 January 2012, 07:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

The old one is my uncles Rover P4 which we went to see this in as he was round at my dads, he loves his old motors. Have a couple of grand put aside for its every whim, only do 2500 miles a year and its had 12 grand spent on it in the last 7 years so hoping it isnt a money pit !
Old 14 January 2012, 07:20 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
The old one is my uncles Rover P4 which we went to see this in as he was round at my dads, he loves his old motors. Have a couple of grand put aside for its every whim, only do 2500 miles a year and its had 12 grand spent on it in the last 7 years so hoping it isnt a money pit !
Sorry, but if someone selling me a car told me he'd spent £12k on it in 7 years, I'd have walked.

It must keep failing it's MOT every year.
Old 14 January 2012, 07:33 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

£12k in 7 years isn't a bad thing.

I spent £5k in 2 years on my 996!

Hope it
Old 14 January 2012, 07:44 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Sorry, but if someone selling me a car told me he'd spent £12k on it in 7 years, I'd have walked.

Nope, far from it, cars dont fail for haing new hoods, top end rebuilds, resprays etc, I would walk if it didnt have a load of receipts, bald tyres, knackered exhaust etc, its been looked after, its twenty one years old, it is ineviatable it will have had money spent on it, the more spent by the previous owner, the less I have to spend is my reasoning.
Old 14 January 2012, 08:36 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Nope, far from it, cars dont fail for haing new hoods, top end rebuilds, resprays etc, I would walk if it didnt have a load of receipts, bald tyres, knackered exhaust etc, its been looked after, its twenty one years old, it is ineviatable it will have had money spent on it, the more spent by the previous owner, the less I have to spend is my reasoning.
welcome to the 944 club
Old 21 January 2012, 12:47 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Picked it up today, love it, just the job after the competent but a bit inert Saab, bit of creaky trim, few littel jobs but nothing major, it isnt the fastest car int he world but it does pull very nicely, I would say its pretty much on par with the Saab, nice engine note for a four. Just learning its little quirks like occasionally you have to tap the speedo before it works.

It feels mechanically great, good oil pressure, not clonks or bangs, pulls cleanly. I got the rust wrong, its not the sills its a small bit behind the ns rear wheel so not such a critical area and its only little, my dad tends to make things seem worse than they are, he is a bit of a perfectionist.

Pop up lights look great down the bonnet, steering is lovely, brakes work well but not wuite a powerful as the Saab and need more of a shove but it feels totally different, in a good way, more like you are driving rather than operating, weird getting in and wondering where the handbrake is though. Can see why they have a following.
Old 21 January 2012, 01:10 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

http://www.porsche944uk.co.uk/
Old 21 January 2012, 05:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Cheers Zip !
Old 21 January 2012, 09:54 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Nice car Jacko

Originally Posted by stilover

Compared to the amount of money a lot of people **** away buying new cars every three years, £7k is **** all
Old 21 January 2012, 10:59 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

It looks lovely jacko nice one.
Old 21 January 2012, 11:16 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Great choice, shame the roof is missing , unlike mine

Old 22 January 2012, 06:12 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Love the Coupe, this came up at not much (4250), a mate of J4ckos mate, so it was j4ckos mate's mate , would have looked for a Turbo coupe me being me but they are eight gand for a decent one and I think the S2 has something to offer anyway, turbo is faster (220 bhp original, not by much tho) but is more tweakable.

I probably over stated the rust issue, its nothing, little scabs behind the rear wheel but its surface only, the engine is great, oil is very clean and under the bonnet is immaculate.

I have had an hour to prod and poke tonight, its been laid up so things are stiff, lashed some WD40 round and that has helped with door locks and stuff but it is such a solid, well made car, it feels in characer like a more grown up, more powerful 8 valve Golf GTI, it can hitch up its skirts and shift as fast as I need though I might get a decat, chip and K and N just to make sure its doing its best, kept money in the budget for things like that.

Few little issues to sort like no radio recption, the little rust scabs, some rattly trim and the black bits on the windows quarters need painting, just easy stuff.

It really has lived up to expectations, was going for an MX5 and I know they are great but I think these are a bit more my kind of thing, I bloody love it, its a keeper and I can totally see why people get so attached to them, ok its a cab but I think that will add an extra dimension come summer and the rest of the time its so snug, feels like a cross between a MK1 Capri, Mk2 Golf, 90's Audi and an MX5

I reckon, partly due to my patronage these will go up in value look at how much Audi quattros are commanding, ok they are iconic but the 944 was in its own way, the S2 was the ultimate evolution of the 924 design, well the 968 was but they ruined the front a bit.
Old 22 January 2012, 06:44 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Is it the 944? as I'm sure thats the best one out of those year cars.
Old 22 January 2012, 06:44 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my 944, ive pretty much had one for the last 6 years or so now. I have been out in mine today and it still makes me smile like the first day I went out in it just make sure you get a stainless on it, the sound they create is sublime and mines just 2.5 your 3.0 will sound even better

not sure of the above link, but I can recommend PCGB Forum and its free to join, Chris florey has one now and hes started to make nice shiny bits already
Old 22 January 2012, 07:34 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I had a MX5 mk1 1.8is before the 944, which despite everyone telling me they're great, I really found dull. (Maybe it was my one?). At least with a 944 I could fit the kids in and Mrs D could take it shopping! I wanted a S2 and only went to look at mine as it was local. After taking a drive and realising the condition was immaculate and it came with the plate, I ended up with a 2.7
My plan was to chip in £1k pa and change my toy annually, but I can't see me or Mrs D wanting to move on. They are stunning value for money, with cheap ins and cheap parts. Just don't tell everyone....until I want to sell it

D
Old 22 January 2012, 08:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Sure MX5's are great but this holds more interest beign a Porsche, always wanted one and kind of hedged my bets a bit because this was local and in my price range, I wanted back what I used to get from MK1 and 2 Golf's and this does hit the spot, Audi quattros were another and I drove one back in the early nineties and that had the same thing, cant see why the quattro has risen in value so much compared to the 944 as I doth think there is much in it in terms of the quality of the drive, if anythign I would say the Porsche has the edge but this opinion is separate by almost years between driving the two, this makes me realise how utterly bored I was with more modern FWD turbo's. I love 911's but it does make me wonder why people will pay 15 grand for a mediocre one vs a third of that for a nice 944 and then miss their 944.

Plans are Decat, K and N and the remap, not for more power, just to give it a bit more of a growl, it has some kind of stainless exhaust on already.
Old 22 January 2012, 09:06 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Remap? I didnt think they were remappable? mines got a relay brain thing lol
Old 22 January 2012, 09:36 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamo
I love my 944, ive pretty much had one for the last 6 years or so now. I have been out in mine today and it still makes me smile like the first day I went out in it just make sure you get a stainless on it, the sound they create is sublime and mines just 2.5 your 3.0 will sound even better

not sure of the above link, but I can recommend PCGB Forum and its free to join, Chris florey has one now and hes started to make nice shiny bits already
Get some pics up mate
Old 22 January 2012, 09:42 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dunk
Great choice, shame the roof is missing , unlike mine

That is lovely

Love the Coupe, this came up at not much (4250), a mate of J4ckos mate, so it was j4ckos mate's mate
So you bought if from yourself?
Old 22 January 2012, 11:09 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Get some pics up mate
Old 23 January 2012, 02:57 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

944s can live mapped, but theres only one person in the country who can do it. Theres no point though - you wont see anything for it.
Old 23 January 2012, 06:16 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Lovely car Jacko, congrats.

In terms of automotive history what was the role of the 944 in Porsche's line up? Was it the equivalent of today's Boxster/Cayman?
Old 23 January 2012, 07:11 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Ding, that link I posted earlier gives a good (if short) insight into the 944's position.
Old 23 January 2012, 12:27 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Lovely car Jacko, congrats.

In terms of automotive history what was the role of the 944 in Porsche's line up? Was it the equivalent of today's Boxster/Cayman?
I guess it was an evolution of the 924 which was perhaps a little bit underwhelming, It was I suppose, market wise equivalent to the Boxster, i.e. entry level and the S2 was the final version of the Natrually Aspirated 944 so it had a decent amount of go, even realtive to the turbo before it got 250 (rather than the earlier 220 bhp), some prefer the S2 over the turbo but as always boost is very tempting, as is the temptation to fiddle to take it further. This is kind of quick enough, it is lower to the floor and makes a racket and along with a decent shove it feels quick enough, I suspect most higher end diesels will be quicker but I really dont care.

Obviously there is a novelty value but I can really see why people get attached, it feels familiar, comfortable and real after modern stuff, not saying all modern cars are boring and old ones are wonderful but the oldies have an edge to them that a lot of moderns have had dialed out, that leaves you like a Benson and Hedges smoker trying to smoke a Silk Cut light. Diesels have got fast, really fast but most leave me cold, this for a 4 cyl is quite characterful.

Have decided to not go chasing numbers as you end up in a GTR being able to do a gazzilion mph or arguing with TTRS drivers, I am going to hang onto this, look after it and not go looking for the next, faster thing, I think if you are having fun, just enjoy it and dont change unless you are sure that the change will definitely allow you to enjoy your driving more which I suppose is where you were at with your new BMW after the M5.

People now say "we must be paying you too much", ffs their Focus/Astra/1 Series etc probably costs 3 times as much as this to buy and more to insure.

Once I get mine where I want it and learn about them I might buy another to make some money, I reckon they are rock bottom now and set to gently appreciate as people cotton on to the fun and reasonable running costs and perhaps dont have the budgets they had before.
Old 23 January 2012, 02:54 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

This should help you will have to click on the image and zoom in to read it sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	porsche944.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	7664  

Last edited by Jamo; 23 January 2012 at 02:55 PM.