E30 325 as a Cheap Runaround?

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2011, 01:51 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question E30 325 as a Cheap Runaround?

Hi all,

I've been thinking about selling my ST170 for a while now, but just haven't seen anything a few years newer that catches my eye in the same sort of price range I originally paid for it. Which got me thinking about an E30 BM as something a little bit different - something cheap and fun to get from A to B. Obviously it's a bit of a classic too!

The car will never be used for commuting, so it's just in my spare time. What do you lot think? Has anyone on here had one for the same purpose?

I've seen what I think is a mint one on PistonHeads for less than £3.5k. Although they're getting on a bit now, I take it they should be quite reliable if you get a good one and look after it?

Other than that, are there any other similar cars that would be good for this sort of thing? I know there are decent old Mercs, too. I'm just thinking about killing two birds with one stone here - a fairly cheap, practical, solid old car that will do the miles, and something that would also be nice to own. The 325 was a fairly decent car in its time and I know it's supposed to have a cracking chassis.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers,

Alan
Old 19 July 2011, 02:05 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one before the Scooby. Used it daily. Great car and excellent if you like a bit of tail happy RWD action. Excellent BMW straight six, and 171bhp was plenty for the car (and me at the ripe old age of 24).

It was however getting to the stage of having some potentially large bills and going a bit rusty but it was over 13 years old. Worst bit of rust was at the back, think it was where the battery tray was welded in the boot (rear mounted battery for 50:50 weight distribution ). I also spent around £1k on it about a year before I sold it partly paying for a big service (inspection 2) but also because the exhaust manifold was blowing as most of the studs had corroded and broke. That was a head off job, the off to an machine shop to have the old studs taken out, new ones put in and the manifold and head mating surfaces skimmed to ensure a good seal. Certainly did the job but wasn't cheap.

If you can find a good one then I'd be tempted. Missed mine even though I had the Scoob, should have kept it for the track but had nowhere to store it back then
Old 19 July 2011, 02:11 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Not sure how much space you need, I've recently got a 944 for a toy and it's stunning.
(Everyone chases the S2 but the 2.7 is a brilliant value and easier to work on.)
£3k will get you a great car
D
Old 19 July 2011, 02:29 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coffin Dodger - The bills would put me off a little bit, but other than that sounds good. Would be naive to expect to run a car like this on the cheap I suppose. But mine would probably be doing less that 5k miles a year.

Dunk - That sounds good. The Porsche does appeal to me.

To be honest, with this idea I'm going off track slightly. The plan was to save and keep a car that was fairly new, and which would cost very little to run - basically doing things as cheaply as possible. But if I enjoy the car then it would probably be worth it!
Old 19 July 2011, 05:48 PM
Scooby Senior

I had one last year until some dozy sod drove into the side of it. I much prefered it's replacement, a Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 Cosworth, which got sold to go towards the wedding fund. If I was to replace either, my money would be going on the merc!
Old 19 July 2011, 10:44 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Buy the right car and doing 5k pa you can get classic ins, mine is £180 pa fully comp !
944 spares are cheap, here's my toy.....

https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marq...1-new-toy.html

D