Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Suzuki Ignis Sport Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2011, 07:21 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki Ignis Sport Opinions?

Still looking on car to replace the Scoob, see my post regarding Fabia VRS in here.

Finding the prices on the Fabias are high and not keen on spunking out big coin on a car wit higher milage diesel or not. So still looking. My Scoob is getting work done on it now, and i had a lend of a friends Ignis 4 grip famly chucker, thought it was pretty good for a cheap car and was impressed considering he paid a bit over 2k.
He told me they had a sporty one so i looked it up. Seems to hit the right buttons for what i want, although it looks a bit funky. But then again i have a wagon so im used a car that looks a bit wonky.

Here is one i saw..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/3?logcode=p

Any one have any feedback on these cars im quite interested in them now.
Old 04 May 2011, 08:56 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

I had one a couple of years ago as a runabout, and its one of the cars i regret selling, it went really well for a 1.5 engine, handled very well, looked nice, seats were recaro as standard and were excellent, loads of bits you can do with them if you wanted to, i would defo recommend one they are great fun to drive!!
Old 05 May 2011, 05:19 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dee33223
Still looking on car to replace the Scoob, see my post regarding Fabia VRS in here.

Finding the prices on the Fabias are high and not keen on spunking out big coin on a car wit higher milage diesel or not. So still looking. My Scoob is getting work done on it now, and i had a lend of a friends Ignis 4 grip famly chucker, thought it was pretty good for a cheap car and was impressed considering he paid a bit over 2k.
He told me they had a sporty one so i looked it up. Seems to hit the right buttons for what i want, although it looks a bit funky. But then again i have a wagon so im used a car that looks a bit wonky.

Here is one i saw..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...ge/3?logcode=p

Any one have any feedback on these cars im quite interested in them now.
There is a yellow one with white wheels where I work. It looks great. Is it a 4Grip?
Old 05 May 2011, 06:55 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
There is a yellow one with white wheels where I work. It looks great. Is it a 4Grip?
Nah the "4grip" is the estate version, it has the roof bars and is a bit longer. That's what my mate has to shift his growing brood around in. The 4wd is pretty good. We went on some off road tracks with it and i was well impressed. It does look like a handicap special, but it's great for what he needs and was only a few grand. Bargain.
The yellow/Blue/Red/Black and silver ones with the small lightweight Enkei white wheels are the Sport version. That's what im after..possibly
Old 05 May 2011, 07:45 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I used a Ignis Sport for night road rallies, i wanted something different than 205's 106's etc, i choose it as its lighter than them, japenese, so no nasty french issues.
I did raise the compression ratio, some head work etc nothing major, sumpgaurd, rollcage & the only suspension mod was to ditch the rear dampers & fit AVO ones, & uprated pads.
It was very good, reasonably quick, with very predicable handling, even on the gravel events we did, never broke down, & finished every event, even a top 10 result.
Fuel consumption was good even when on events, compared to the Mk1 RS2000 i used before.
Not the prettiest car to look at but very underated in the small semi hot hatch class, & they rev forever.
Name:  ignis003.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  238.3 KB
Name:  twilightrally001.jpg
Size:  184.9 KB

Last edited by MOTORS S GT; 05 May 2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05 May 2011, 08:23 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Think I'd rather go for the Swift Sport
Old 05 May 2011, 09:24 PM
richgreenscooby1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Think I'd rather go for the Swift Sport

Agreed but ...........

FOr 2k ignis sport all the way , used to work for suzuki and the only fult we had was 5 gear falling off the end

cool cars loads of fun
Old 05 May 2011, 11:31 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Cheers fellas, very much sold on them now, Its always good to hear from true car heads with experience. Cant thankyou enough really thats it im going after one.

If Motor S can rally one and it lived that well then i can do a bit of B road jollys without fear of it blowing up. Would rather have Swift too, but as you said big price difference. If i had that type of cash id keep the Scoob and fix it forever more, as was my plan till the fuel got crazy.

To mostly Motor S, is there any issues you know i should watch out for?, Im ok with cars but no mechanic. Also is the engine a Suzuki lump or is it Toyota, as its in the Yaris T Sport thing also.

Again thanks to all for chipping in and not killing me for getting rid of the best car i have ever had, 7 great years wow!. Couldnt fault it.
Old 05 May 2011, 11:38 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

I take it you didn't look at a Daihatsu? 2 spring to mind which are Japanese and are cheap, economical and fun to drive. The Sirion Rally 2 & 4 with a 1.3 16v DVVT engine pumping out 107Bhp and a car I also own the Daihatsu YRV Turbo 130. 1.3 16v DVVT which produces 130Bhp, Group 8 insurance, 5 doors and 40MPG. Daihatsu are partly owned by Toyota and it was Daihatsu that produced the engines that are also used in the Toyota Yaris. :-)

Name:  Front_Side1.jpg
Size:  47.4 KB

Name:  YRV_Turbo_Silver_1.jpg
Size:  38.4 KB

Last edited by jpor; 05 May 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 06 May 2011, 12:09 AM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Cool cars!, i did not look at any Daihatsu you are right. Not many about. Saw this one on Pistonheads..
http://pistonheads.com/sales/2777993.htm

Tempted by them, but are they not a bit on the rare side?. When i had the Justy that was bad enough for parts. Good option though very left field but bang on what i want nice one.
Old 06 May 2011, 08:16 AM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

The only thing i know that the ignis suffers with is wheel bearings, i never replaced ay, but the service history i got with the car had receipts for 3 seperate ones.

I belive te ignis sport engine is a toyota engne, but not sure which one.

I also owned a daihatsu yrv, but not the turbo version it was a sporty one but the name escapes me at the moment, i fond it was a bit jumpy over bumps, but probably no worse than any other small wheelbase car.
Old 06 May 2011, 11:33 AM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Only issues i know off, driveshaft inner cv retaining circlips are weak, & allow the shaft to come out off the g/box, i think there was a call back for this issue, Suzuki do sell beefed up circlips to stop it.
As i stated rear dampers are next to useless, on bumpy, uneven surfaces at speed all it wants to do at the back is leap in the air, as for hump back bridges the back will put the car into a 45 degreee nose dive, best tyres i found for tarmac for it was Toyo T1R's, although they can puncture in the sidewall easily.
Old 06 May 2011, 12:20 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dee33223
Cool cars!, i did not look at any Daihatsu you are right. Not many about. Saw this one on Pistonheads..
http://pistonheads.com/sales/2777993.htm

Tempted by them, but are they not a bit on the rare side?. When i had the Justy that was bad enough for parts. Good option though very left field but bang on what i want nice one.
Daihatsu only officially imported 210 YRV Turbos and converted them for U.K road use. And 120 Sirion Rally 2 and 4's.

Parts can be obtained from the dealerships and E-bay quite easily. The Suspension on the back is a little on the bouncy side but was uprated for the Turbo version. Also the turbo version is an automatic with a manual steershift option, so easy for stop start traffic.

I have mine modded with Tein lowering springs and one off AVO adjustable rear shocks plus a D-Sport dfront strutbrace and a Cusco front underneath strenthening bar. I also uprated the alloys and tryes as the standard tyres (175/55/R15) weren't much use around corners.

I actually test drove a 04 Suzuki Ignis sport before getting the YRV. I thought the Suzuki had not much go. The YRV on the other hand has a turbo and a low rev take off with 127lb ft of torque @ 1,200 RPM Also a better all-rounder. We also have a club form over on www.daihatsu-drivers.co.uk
Old 09 May 2011, 07:23 PM
neill70
Scooby Regular

i had an 05 blue ignis sport from new, replaced my evo with it, really enjoyed it, great little hatch, pretty sure its not a toyota engine though, would have one again and why buy the swift which is way more expensive and not really any faster.
Old 13 May 2011, 12:53 AM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Hey Jpor, i was initially put off the YPV by it being automatic, but looking them up again it says triptonic. How does that work. Is it like moving through gears with no clutch?

Im again tempted by these, the Sirion rallys sound good also. How are they so quick(8.1 0-60) if they are 1.3, are they turbo also?. Very odd cars. Up my street. I had a Justy so im used to oddness.
Old 13 May 2011, 06:56 PM
neill70
Scooby Regular

yrv and sirion rally are both turbo, gears on the yrv are either fully auto or you can change gear on the steering wheel by pushing buttons, no clutch, like the looks but its only 4 speed and has a very high centre of gravity.
Old 14 May 2011, 03:23 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neill70
yrv and sirion rally are both turbo, gears on the yrv are either fully auto or you can change gear on the steering wheel by pushing buttons, no clutch, like the looks but its only 4 speed and has a very high centre of gravity.
The YRV was the only one that had the turbo offered in this country. In Japan the Sirion is also known as the Boon, and that was offered as 4x4 Turbo offering using the same K3-VET engine as the YRV Turbo. The Sirion Rally 2 is a 2 wheel drive normal aspirated K3-VE engine which was upped slightly in power from 100Bhp to 107Bhp by a company called Camspeed. The Rally 4 is the 4 wheel drive version. Both cars are really souped up Sirion SL and 4 trak models.

To answer the question about the YRV turbo. Yes it's an auto with something called a steershift option. Basically you get Plus and minus buttons on the steering wheel to change up and down geers, which means no clutch changing These things can out shoot an Impreza WRX from a standing start until the WRX/STi boost comes on full pelt and can get to 80MPH on a private track of course on 2nd gear only.
As for the ride height, it's a little on the high side, but you get plenty of head room, and for a car of it's caliber very pratical with split/fold flat rear seating. I have modified my car by replacing the front seats with Mitsubishi Evo 8 Recaros, which now gives a lower and better driving poistion.

A very rare red colour is now up on pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2777993.htm

Last edited by jpor; 14 May 2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old 14 May 2011, 05:41 PM
neill70
Scooby Regular

thought the sirion was turbo, but your right its n/a, could do with that 107bhp engine in my copen
Old 15 May 2011, 03:33 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neill70
thought the sirion was turbo, but your right its n/a, could do with that 107bhp engine in my copen
Yeah sounds like you have the 85bhp K3-VE engine then? If so that's the same as the normal YRV 1.3 engine. For some reason on the Mark 1 Sirion K3-VE engine (98-2005) models the engine was tuned for 100Bhp and then camspeed just tuned it more by adding a better air-filter and a different cam to get 107Bhp for the Rally versions.

There are some tuning products out there for the Copen. Had seen an uprated D-Sport ECU for the Copen. You can also get air-filter upgrades as well.
Old 15 May 2011, 12:47 PM
neill70
Scooby Regular

no i have the 559cc turbo,(68 ish bhp) its good fun but the copen sticks like glue to the road so could easily handle plenty more power, i have seen plenty of tuning products from hks but they are really expensive.
Old 17 May 2011, 06:57 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all comments especially jpor. I really do like the sound of the Daihatsu's, the only real worry is that parts may be expensive and rare. If im getting a 40-60k example i may be looking at clutch and exhaust i wonder if these will be hard to get hold of and pricey.
The Sirion rally seems hens teeth i see a couple but they are way down south. There are more Suzuki's about. I like the idea of having a sleeper car, that Sirion looks like a Daewoo thats been raped by a Corolla, proper nasty. But proper quick for what it is. Is the bogo spec 100bhp SL version worth getting then tuning?.

As for the YPV ill try to find one closer i can have a ride of first, but its tempting as its turbo, i take it it cn be mapped for a little more boost?

Im totally off the Fabia now, prices on them are too high. Its a magic car but im paying about 3k more than a petrol of same age and spec. Sod that. It would take far too long to claw back the difference in fuel.
Old 23 May 2011, 02:00 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Well after all of this i got my heart set on a Sirion Rally. Thought i had got a good one and after speaking to seller(trader) and hearing all good things..his email to me...

"Hi. I am 100% convinced you would be very happy with the car , there is no problems with it what so ever, I would not have you travel any distance under any false pretences , your mechanic can inspect the car with pleasure . Tks J******"

I was also told they would hold the car for me as i was driving close to 400miles Aboyne to fekin Manchester!. When i got there they had it out for sale. So first off i was not happy. Took me about 3 mins to want to get the hell out of there.
Car lot with no sign burley blokes doing the selling(ok i look the same, but i dont sell cars). Car was a Shi**er, different baldy tyres all round,suspension and brakes looked fooked.rusty rear arch,missing water inlet cover and sludgey stuff in it,corrosion underneath to a few parts looked bad,both headlights had cracks in them but deal breaker was sump coated in thick baked on oil and lots of oil all over bottom part of engine, No no nooooo!.
If it was one owner and all is gen, they must have driven it and never looked after it at all. I was so angry. I dont expect a minter for 2k and that age. But it's a rare car and you would think it would be reasonably looked after. Also i told the seller i was coming a long way and to be honest with condtion or id walk. So i did.

To add misery to it all. I had to drive back in hellish weather the whole way. This was bad in two ways, one it was dangerous, and two because my trusty Scoob kept me safe and got me home in good time. Making me really regret wanting to sell such a reliable work horse. So rant over. Jpor you might want to warn anyone on the Daihatsu board not to go for this as im sure there is others who will travel for it.

Well ill keep searching maybe on 100 mile radius this time.

Last edited by Dee33223; 23 May 2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 16 June 2011, 12:22 AM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

No doubt nobody gives a monkeys. But finally got a car!. A wee Ignis Sport really love it fun and loads of character nippier than i expected also. Just could not find a Daihatsu Rally that wasnt cack. Got this Ignis for £1600 and it just had a set of Toyo Proxes all round put on it. Runs great. Was some poor old blokes who passed away so it seems looked after and straight all round very good condition.
Here is link to Autotrader ad..

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...m6&logcode=emf

So now to sell the Scoob tears in eyes : (
Old 22 June 2011, 10:19 PM
wrxsti280
Scooby Regular

Link dont work matey, but congrats on securing a little iggy sport, they are great fun for the money!!
Old 23 June 2011, 06:06 PM
Dee33223
Scooby Regular

Link prob gone due to me buying it now. That was silly of me. So far loving the car. Very pleasant to drive, getting used to it now. Has a strange high driving position which im not sold on, feels like a half hot hatch half off roader. Its a wierd little car. Handling is great. Im more than impressed. It wont hang on corners like the Scoob. But it responds quicker and is sharper. Very acurate feel to it. I didnt think it would be anywhere near as much fun.
The vvt engine is good and smooth, doesnt bang like a Honda vtec(which i love), its more smooth with good mid range grunt. It dies on steep hills. Brakes are brilliant. Back end is as has been said here skippy as hell. It shoots around when you chuck it over bumps which is a tad alarming at times. Recaro seats are magic it all feels solid and new. Does rev its nuts off when at high speed and wobbles a bit. Feels a bit tiring on motorways. Im doing 35-40 mpg so far.
Overall im very very happy with it. So surprised by it.I paid £1600, it has 43k,full service,4 new Toyo Proxes on it. Minted for age apart from Scrached body kit on other side(hence about £200-300 haggled off price). Was owned by an old lad who passed away. So all good so far. Still have Scoob and its not half the car it is, but im not rich enough to keep motoring in it. Here is a few pics...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/diarmid...7626905465941/

Last edited by Dee33223; 23 June 2011 at 06:09 PM.