Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Range rover purchase what to look out for..!

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2011, 06:52 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range rover purchase what to look out for..!

Just in the process of looking at a few range rovers 1994 so getting on a bit but full service history only 88k and the other 121k .
I know they seem to suffer from gas suspension failure is there any other specific things to look out for apart from the norm had loads of cars but just wanting specifics if youd'e had one or experienced them then please speak up you may save me a fortune.

Il be using this as a tow vehicle to pull a trailor and my track car both range's are 4.0 p38 petrol (V8)s so i know will be thirsty but ha ho !

thanks lee
Old 25 April 2011, 07:03 PM
olliecampbell
Scooby Regular

Rust...bottom edge of the rear door, under the boot carpet, usual leaking sunroofs if fitted...that's all I seem to remember.
Old 25 April 2011, 07:04 PM
Rez
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leecalcars
Just in the process of looking at a few range rovers 1994 so getting on a bit but full service history only 88k and the other 121k .
I know they seem to suffer from gas suspension failure is there any other specific things to look out for apart from the norm had loads of cars but just wanting specifics if youd'e had one or experienced them then please speak up you may save me a fortune.

Il be using this as a tow vehicle to pull a trailor and my track car both range's are 4.0 p38 petrol (V8)s so i know will be thirsty but ha ho !

thanks lee
http://www.landyzone.co.uk/lz/f10/

Try this forum mate, these lads take the word "enthusiast" to another level! Just sold my Disco TD5 to buy my scoob but that forum was superb for the time i had it...
Old 25 April 2011, 07:47 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

cheers good link
Old 25 April 2011, 08:18 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Wheeler Dealers just had one in. Edd needed to do some work on replacing the compressor for the suspension, front anti-roll bar bushes, broken electric window and knackered sat-nav.
Old 25 April 2011, 11:28 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

I must admit my knowledge is a few years old and should be verified, but here goes ...

Air suspension is potentially an issue; air conditioning faults indicated by an exclamation mark or handbook symbol on display (can't remember). Anything which requires the dash to be taken out is really time consuming e.g. replacement BECM (which is the brain of the car). The other widespread issue of old was porous blocks i.e. the all alloy V8. This was much worse in the 4.6 but regular servicing and correct strength antifreeze are best defences against this. 4.0 is best engine to go for, don't go all sensible and think that the 2.5 DT is better. This engine is so slow I would describe it as dangerously slow. I've seen milk turn quicker. Get yourself a Rimmer Bros catalogue and expect that there will be things go wrong regularly and you won't go far wrong. A post-1998 Discovery TD5 ES spec may be worth considering too - could be significantly less to run.
Old 25 April 2011, 11:34 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton
IThe other widespread issue of old was porous blocks i.e. the all alloy V8. This was much worse in the 4.6 but regular servicing and correct strength antifreeze are best defences against this.
happened to my RR 4.2 -- it became a very expensive kettle
Old 25 April 2011, 11:42 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

cheers ross must of missed that one il try and find it on sky

cheers dave nice bit of info, been emailing the guy all night going to view it tommorow looks a clean example but seeing is believing il check under all carpets but has full service history and very clean inside if all goes well il post picks up for you too see thanks for the input guys ,i wondered why everyone was saying all the brain is ok no fault lights coming up must be a pig of a job is it smply an ecu change like in a scoob do they need remapping etc...
Old 26 April 2011, 09:12 AM
Caged "R"
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by leecalcars
cheers ross must of missed that one il try and find it on sky

cheers dave nice bit of info, been emailing the guy all night going to view it tommorow looks a clean example but seeing is believing il check under all carpets but has full service history and very clean inside if all goes well il post picks up for you too see thanks for the input guys ,i wondered why everyone was saying all the brain is ok no fault lights coming up must be a pig of a job is it smply an ecu change like in a scoob do they need remapping etc...

There was a fuse missing from mine on the base of the drivers seat as you open the door.
Replaced the fuse & I had no drive & the auto box / diff was making a terrible crunching noise!

Needless to say said fuse was quickly removed & car disposed of..
Old 26 April 2011, 06:52 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
happened to my RR 4.2 -- it became a very expensive kettle
If it was a 4.2 I assume it was an LSE. Those in the know often say that the 4.2 was the best engine of the Rover V8s - optimum bore and stroke and most of the faults of the 3.9 addressed - still made of alloy though. I had mine running on LPG - even smoother - but the rest of that story made less pleasant reading. Whe I got my LSE, a friend wanted a quick ride round the block in it and preferred to go in the back!
Old 27 April 2011, 09:14 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

my father in law (as such) in the early 90's had a whole string of these brand new. (so the period from which you want to buy)

they were shocking, new: let alone all these years on.

In fact one was so unreliable, even the dealership gave up with it and land rover took it back to the factory to try and get it right.

one bizzare fault was water leaking into them- soaking the floor and carpets.
Old 27 April 2011, 09:34 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Thornton
If it was a 4.2 I assume it was an LSE. Those in the know often say that the 4.2 was the best engine of the Rover V8s - optimum bore and stroke and most of the faults of the 3.9 addressed - still made of alloy though. I had mine running on LPG - even smoother - but the rest of that story made less pleasant reading. Whe I got my LSE, a friend wanted a quick ride round the block in it and preferred to go in the back!
yes it was Dave -- and like you I had it converted to LPG, but the block became porous and pressurised the water system leading to overheatinng

i think it still had liners though -- which was the main cause of the problem

also just to add that it is very easy to convert the air suspension on the RR's to the traditional suspension setup

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 27 April 2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 27 April 2011, 08:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The chassis rot, do a good check on that as its not a cheap fix
Also as Dave said, the 2.5 is very underpowered for this vehicle (BM quoted 160bhp on their 2.5DT but for others it was only 130bhp) and pulling 2+ tonnes its not quick.
The big V8 is the best but thirsty as hell (single figure MPG) but dont expect fantastic reliability

Tony