Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mondeo ST TDCI or ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07 April 2011, 01:07 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mondeo ST TDCI or ?????

Been looking around for something that does more than about 230 max to a tank to replace the Scoob. Mondeo ST TDCI looks a possibility based on the reports on here, my budget around £10K max, equipment etc

A couple of things that maybe a negative of the ST are only 2WD and latest year would be an 07. Not planning to rush into anything but any other options that I should be looking at for similar sort of cost, don't want anything older than an 07 newer even better. I don't do lots of miles but it needs to be reliable and I do tend to keep my cars for a good few years before swapping.

Any suggestions? Nothing made by the French either !
Old 07 April 2011, 01:15 PM
Fulmentaljack3t
Scooby Regular

Mondeo St is a great car and a good choice.

Skoda Octavia also good.
Old 07 April 2011, 01:34 PM
AndyMoody
Scooby Regular

Guess I'll have to drive one and see how it drives and performs against the WRX. I was about the only car getting out of my road in the snow due to 4WD, plus the performance if I got it BlueFinned compared to the WRX.
Old 07 April 2011, 01:39 PM
Fulmentaljack3t
Scooby Regular

I'm a big fan of the Mondeo ST and with bluefiin i wouldnt have thought there would be a lot of difference in performance and they handle really well.

The octavia TDI VRS is one to consider, not many about and pretty nippy and I think they look quite good to. Not sure what else though, a search through Auto Trader should throw up some options.
Old 07 April 2011, 02:29 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

BMW E90 320D M Sport.
Old 07 April 2011, 02:36 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Mondeo ST TDCI or... ST220
By the time you've forked out on injectors, EGR's and DMF's you may as well have spent the extra on the fuel and road tax and enjoy a car that is a proper ST rather than one with fancy body kit. Also you will save money when buying on a like for like car.
Old 07 April 2011, 08:28 PM
Abzdon
Scooby Regular

I have an 06 ST TDCi and I live in North East Scotland so have seen a few bad winters with it.

A couple of winter tyres on the front and you will be good for anything the Scooby did in the snow if it had normal summer tyres on it. I was driving around people getting stuck on hills on my commute to work. It wasn't up to pulling anyone around but it never got stuck itself.

Had mine from nearly new and done 65k miles now and never had a problem with injectors or DMF. Had problem with the EGR valve which cost me £90 from Jaguar (same engine) but I have left it unplugged (others blank them off) and it still sailed through it's MOT last month.

I have an STi for the weekends and notice the differences in them when I swap between them. ST turbo comes in low in the revs but runs out of puff quickly. STi is the opposite, I have to keep remembering I can't take corners at junctions in third.
Old 07 April 2011, 08:58 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Dogs Bollocks had an ST TDCI for a few months then chopped it for a Focus ST. He ditched the Mondeo as it was too slow compared to his humble "only a WRX PPP" Impreza.
Old 08 April 2011, 08:42 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

you'd prob get a new shaped mondeo for 10K.

I bought a yr old 2.0 tdci titanium for 12700. took a lot of hunting around for it- but bargains are out there- and there weren't many for sale when I got mine.

there are more exciting cars though in fairness: but its huge and good as a family car I don't really care about.
Old 08 April 2011, 09:59 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I've got a facelift ST TDCI. Very well speced car, goes well enough but really needs the bluefin or other remap as engine is getting on a bit now. Pulls really well though. They have some common faults as already mentioned plus couple build quality issues such as sagging rear bumper and wind noise from poor door seals. Mine needed a new EGR after 45k.
Old 08 April 2011, 10:19 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As austin said, you could get the new shape for 10k. Titanium X
Although not an ST TDCi, i do drive a 54 plate TDCi and have driven my bosses ST. They are not particularly refined but do the job. The ST with the Recaros is nice but essentially it isn't too far removed from mine if you forget the fancy wheels and body work.
My Dad has a car which is identical to the link i posted above. It is a whole different world of niceness to the previous shape ST. Better to look at, better to sit in, more toys, much more refined, quieter. I would swap at the drop of a hat
Old 08 April 2011, 09:58 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s70rjw
Dogs Bollocks had an ST TDCI for a few months then chopped it for a Focus ST. He ditched the Mondeo as it was too slow compared to his humble "only a WRX PPP" Impreza.
Correct,my Impreza didn't have that sh*t PPP,it was much better
Old 13 April 2011, 03:39 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

E46 330d will be closer in performance and should average 35-40mpg depending on where you live and how/where you drive.