Took a risk -

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2011, 05:38 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Took a risk -

It paid off!!

The VW Lupo that I bought had only a week left with TAX and MOT.

So I knocked the seller down to a bargain price and it was accepted.

It went got tbe MOT yesterday and I was like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting to see what needed putting right!
I was pleased to hear that it passed with no issues at all!

My little Lupo now has some nice alloys on, I have cleaned all the seats, hoovered, new mats and some urry dice as a joke birthday gift yesterday!
All I am thinking of doing now is putting it on some coilovers, just to set it a little lower. The alloys are 15", and although they don't look stupid, I think the car would benefit from being a little lower.
Old 03 April 2011, 05:57 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Looks tidy.

Defo with you on the coilovers.
Old 03 April 2011, 08:17 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks neat,had my car serviced saturday,and actually managed to wash it afterwards,and give it a nice polish..
Old 04 April 2011, 07:23 AM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hysteria1983
It paid off!!

The VW Lupo that I bought had only a week left with TAX and MOT.

So I knocked the seller down to a bargain price and it was accepted.

It went got tbe MOT yesterday and I was like a cat on a hot tin roof waiting to see what needed putting right!
I was pleased to hear that it passed with no issues at all!

My little Lupo now has some nice alloys on, I have cleaned all the seats, hoovered, new mats and some urry dice as a joke birthday gift yesterday!
All I am thinking of doing now is putting it on some coilovers, just to set it a little lower. The alloys are 15", and although they don't look stupid, I think the car would benefit from being a little lower.
Good gamble

Can you get lowering springs instead of coilovers?

My very limited experience of coilovers is that the coilover spring, to make them fit, is about half the size of the originals. This makes them rock hard and very little compression before 'bottoming out'.
We've just fitted some Meisters to a Skyline because the shocks were knackered and which had already got Tein lowering springs on. The spring on the coilover is half the length and half the diameter of the lowering springs we've taken off. The result is awful, even though the coilovers have about 30 settings, the softest setting is still much to hard for our roads. You have to avoid every pothole and virtually stop to go over speed bumps. My Skyline has only been lowered and that's to hard in my opinion.
Ask a few questions on a Lupo forum first.
Old 04 April 2011, 07:37 AM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
Good gamble

Can you get lowering springs instead of coilovers?

My very limited experience of coilovers is that the coilover spring, to make them fit, is about half the size of the originals. This makes them rock hard and very little compression before 'bottoming out'.
We've just fitted some Meisters to a Skyline because the shocks were knackered and which had already got Tein lowering springs on. The spring on the coilover is half the length and half the diameter of the lowering springs we've taken off. The result is awful, even though the coilovers have about 30 settings, the softest setting is still much to hard for our roads. You have to avoid every pothole and virtually stop to go over speed bumps. My Skyline has only been lowered and that's to hard in my opinion.
Ask a few questions on a Lupo forum first.

Hi, one of the shocks is slightly worn, we were going to leave it a few weeks, but want to get it done.

To be honest, I'm not overly fussed about how nice the drive will be as it's not used for any major miles. I'm just not fussed about using springs as with a 'dub' I think going that bit lower is better.
I'm not going as far as the 'curb scraper' look though!! Lol