Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

An engine design idea for F1 teams.

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2011, 08:58 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An engine design idea for F1 teams.

Currently in use in other racing catagories.Anyway what about about, super charged rotory F1 cars.I guess with a max of 6 or 8 rotors & two twin s/c's.What does SN think ?.Or should they revert to v12s and v16s ? etc.Fire away.
Old 12 January 2011, 09:32 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Having just adopted turbo charged 4 cylinders, I think V12's and V16's are about as likely to happen as me winning next years title!
Old 12 January 2011, 09:44 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Sounds like it's going to be very lame next season.
Old 13 January 2011, 09:56 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Or turbo diesel F1. Back in the day, F1 was at the forefront of engine technology and some of that technology filtered down to road cars. More diesels are sold in the UK that petrol engined cars, and it emitts less CO2 and therefore make the sport "greener". There should be a variety of different types of engines in the sport.
Old 13 January 2011, 10:10 AM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

The engines are standardised in order to lower costs and also to make it a bit fairer among the teams. As much as I would love the chance to see a V6 against a V12 on the same grid it just isnt viable anymore because the teams will just continually be speding huge amounts of money to get more power and change designs etc. Of course currently there are developments constantly but these dont consist of a huge redesign and the core parts of the engine are pretty much established. Tbh I think the only difference we will notice in F1 when the four cylinder comes in is the noise will change, I dont think the cars will be significantly slower.

Turbo diesel F1 would just be wrong. Diesel technology is used in Le Mans, mainly for economy but I dont think its suitable for F1. This change to smaller 4 cylinder turbo engines will drive turbo technology forward and will create more technologies that can be applied to a road car. Road cars are already going this way with smaller more efficient turbocharged engines and F1 will compound that as well as improving it
Old 13 January 2011, 10:39 AM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Well if you consider the trend for cars F1 is heading in the right direction. Alot more cars on the road are smaller capacity then the big ol'V8s.

Might help improve our 2.0l 4 cylinder cars, who knows maybe Subaru will start up their F1 team again
Old 13 January 2011, 11:05 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

There is the argument that the 4 pot turbos are more relative to todays road going vehicles and standard parts makes it cheaper. However, you could also argue that innovation would perhaps be better driven if you had no restriction on engine design BUT every year the amount of fuel per car per race is reduced.

Trending Topics

Old 13 January 2011, 12:50 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Every time the FIA change the Engine regs to save money, all the teams then have to spand 10's Millions of pounds designing and building new engines to meet the new regulations.

It's a bit like saying I can save you £100 a year on your heating bills. Just spend £1000 on a new boiler first.
Old 13 January 2011, 12:59 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Every time the FIA change the Engine regs to save money, all the teams then have to spand 10's Millions of pounds designing and building new engines to meet the new regulations.

It's a bit like saying I can save you £100 a year on your heating bills. Just spend £1000 on a new boiler first.
That's what I can't understand.
It doesn't make any sense to want to save cash but keep changing the damn rules every ****ing year.
Can't wait to see the new 4 cylinder Ferrari road car. That will be fun.
Plus, I can't see how they are going to make the noise appeal to the fans as it does now.
They are reducing the rev limit from 18k to 10k with the 4 pot engines.

If they stick with this engine design for say, 10 years or so, it will be worth it. But more than likely the FIA will change their minds in 5 years so everyone will have to redesign, again!
Old 13 January 2011, 04:35 PM
grahamc
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

It is a shame really... As rsv were making a nice 2l v8 engine that revved to 11-12k