Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

"Petrol turbo" on a 306 DT

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2010, 02:59 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Petrol turbo" on a 306 DT

Pulled up next to a 306 DT at the lights yesterday, and noticed it had a for sale sign on it, it said that it had a petrol turbo fitted, couldn't make out what one but it looked like T26 or similar.

He must have seen me looking as he gave it some right foot when pulling away, and it was rapid, with a nice chirp from a dump valve, but still had the tell tale sign puff of black soot.

I had no idea this was possible, has anyone heard of such a modification on a diesel?

Or is this a ticking time bomb of a bodge.
Old 30 May 2010, 03:26 AM
tathan
Scooby Regular

dunno, diesels normally have things in the t15 range, which is about the same size as a Mr Kipling Apple Pie, so I'd imagine they'd struggle to spin a bigger unit. Modern ones don't have wastegates either so it sounds like a nightmare.

Re the dump valve, you need to fit a solenoid to actuate it as there's no throttle plate, therefore no vacuum. Utterly pointless.
Old 30 May 2010, 06:59 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

You can spray petrol vapor into the inlet to give a massive burst of power.

When i was 17 i remember one of the lads with a 306 D-Turbo reading about this and trying it out.

What he did was this, he added a small amount of petrol to a washing up bottle, which was held in the car, a hose came from the top of it which he had going out the window, and into his inlet pipe, just after the air filter

He drives down the road while his passenger shakes the washing up liquid bottle to try and "make up some good vapor" (his words) connects the hose and then gives it a squeeze to fire it into the inlet.

The 306 TD went mental, instantly spinning its wheels and shooting off down the road, the lad **** himself, panicked as he took his foot off the throttle and the revs would not come down.

He switched off the ignition and put the thing in neutral, where it continued to rev its **** off for a while, fully expecting the engine to blow to smithereens, suprisingly it survived, although he never got any further with his experiments, it was hilarious though

Suppose you could hook up a "safe" way of injecting super small, controlled amounts, but i suspect the car in question probably had a petrol engine conversion.
Old 30 May 2010, 07:22 AM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

funnily enough i had a d-turbo s and had heard of the petro, vapour thing but was not stupid enough to try it, still went quite well when i tweaked around with it and had the pump opened up quite a lot.
Old 30 May 2010, 07:48 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

The Yanks are quite big into propane fumigation on their diesels. Basically you spray propane vapour into the inlet as above but they have proper kits for it. You can get 30% more power, apparently.
Old 30 May 2010, 08:33 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by belliott69
funnily enough i had a d-turbo s and had heard of the petro, vapour thing but was not stupid enough to try it, still went quite well when i tweaked around with it and had the pump opened up quite a lot.

I can confirm it works although i never did it myself.

I had an only 1.7td vectra when i was a youngun and was desperate for more power, it was a stupid car to buy really, i thought i had grew up and was not going to mod cars anymore, so i bought a derv, only within a few weeks it had gsi bumpers and wheels

Anyway this was just about the time that Van Akien (sp?) were starting to mod 306td`s, and i was desperate for some of the action, but nobody had touched the vectra/izuzzu (sp?) engine, VA wanted 400quid to have a look at it

I used the 306td guides as a base when i took my vectra 1.7td pump apart, found the restrictor for on boost fueling and threw it in the bin, iirc i aslo hammered some kind of dimple from a diaphrams resting point, with a bleed valve fitted, i managed to run the 1.7td vectra lump at what i suspect was approx 1.3bar of boost it was hard to tell as the boost guage only went to 1 bar and it was approx 1 cm past the end and it was pretty good.

Although i had headgasket swaps quite regular, the head went porus, and it destroyed a stock turbo

In the end i thought WTF am i doing? this was supposed to be a sensible car, so i flogged it and bought the scooby

Last edited by StickyMicky; 30 May 2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 30 May 2010, 02:29 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I thought a turbo was a turbo and that if you have the correct fitment, or make the correct fitment, theoretically you can bolt on most turbos to most applications??

Cheers,
Grant
Old 30 May 2010, 04:49 PM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Generally, with a few caveats.

You often won't be able to put diesel turbos on petrols due to the higher egt.
Diesels often don't have wastegates, instead relying on variable nozzle or vane to regulate boost
+ others
Old 01 June 2010, 01:43 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
You can spray petrol vapor into the inlet to give a massive burst of power.

When i was 17 i remember one of the lads with a 306 D-Turbo reading about this and trying it out.

What he did was this, he added a small amount of petrol to a washing up bottle, which was held in the car, a hose came from the top of it which he had going out the window, and into his inlet pipe, just after the air filter

He drives down the road while his passenger shakes the washing up liquid bottle to try and "make up some good vapor" (his words) connects the hose and then gives it a squeeze to fire it into the inlet.

The 306 TD went mental, instantly spinning its wheels and shooting off down the road, the lad **** himself, panicked as he took his foot off the throttle and the revs would not come down.

He switched off the ignition and put the thing in neutral, where it continued to rev its **** off for a while, fully expecting the engine to blow to smithereens, suprisingly it survived, although he never got any further with his experiments, it was hilarious though

Suppose you could hook up a "safe" way of injecting super small, controlled amounts, but i suspect the car in question probably had a petrol engine conversion.
FPMSL!