Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Vauxhall VX220 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2010, 05:01 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vauxhall VX220 Turbo

Just weighing up some ideas for a summertime fun car. Anyone able to comment on ownership of a VX220 Turbo?

Looks very good on paper and a reasonable example can be had for less than £15k.

The sticking point may be that I'm 6ft 3", not sure if I'll fit
Old 12 May 2010, 05:06 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Just weighing up some ideas for a summertime fun car. Anyone able to comment on ownership of a VX220 Turbo?

Looks very good on paper and a reasonable example can be had for less than £15k.

at 6'3" i would get down the the nearest dealership and try one for an hour or so, you might find it a tad snug/cramped.

I do like them!
Old 12 May 2010, 05:14 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Superb cars and still probably the most fun on wheels I have had out of all the many cars I have had. Mine had a stage2 and circa 250bhp. Really great fun, but have to agree with above I think you might struggle at 6'3. I'm a fairly short fella and still had to fall in and out of the car and found it snug.

Getting in and out of one is an art form at the best of times, so although the car is superb the practicalities are likely to be your problem.

Gutted I ever sold mine TBH. I had a mint 2003 with 34K, stage 2 and sold for 13.5K and that was about 3 or 4 years ago. It would still be worth at least that today, so it would have been a depreciation proof car......
Old 12 May 2010, 05:15 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

See below!

Last edited by LG John; 12 May 2010 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12 May 2010, 05:15 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

For over a year I planned to buy a Stage II VXT but I've completely canned that idea because - for reasons unknown - they have appreciated significantly in value in the last 12-18 months.

When I was regularly monitoring the market there were a great many 2003/4 VXT's in and around £11-13,000. Now it's more like £13-15,000 for the same model year with another year of mileage and wear and tare.

I personally refuse to buy one when they cost significantly more than a year or so ago. a) out of principle, and b) because I fear that whatever is propping their value up could burst meaning that I spend £14k one minute and 6 months later have a car that is worth £10k at best.

Besides....I look at it like this. I could pay £14k for this

Or, I could save a little longer/harder and pay £18.5k for this

Seems like a no brainer to me

Last edited by LG John; 13 May 2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 13 May 2010, 12:16 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Thanks!

Firstly it sounds like it may be a tight fit for me but of course I would blag a long test drive in anything that could be considered cramped to ensure it is ok before making any decision. I have also thought about Elises/Exiges and Caterfield type things but I suspect the same problem will apply. Remember seeing Top Gear episodes with Clarkson trying to get in and out of these things, seemed ok once in the cockpit but made a meal of it

Secondly thanks for the heads up on the value Saxo Boy, as you say it is strange that they've gone up, and I hadn't realised that. I guess they are fairly rare and probably getting harder to get a decent example that hasn't had any body work. Seen a few Cat whatever ones advertised so that tell me these do get crashed from time to time

Good thinking with the Z4M, I also think the coupe is a gorgeous car and of course these will be a lot more refined than the VX220 and suitable for a lanky git like me

Part of me also considers forgetting the impractical sports car idea and getting something that's a bit more of an all rounder but still ridiculously fast. Thing is I have a aged Passat for week day duties and if it ever dies will be replaced with something of a similar vintage. I want the fast car for the occasional blast to/from work in the summer, weekend blasts, but also weekends away. I like travelling within the UK and it's then that I really wish I had something more powerful to make the whole experience more pleasurable and not having to think twice before committing to an overtake on the Sunday drivers.

Maybe I'm talking myself into another Scoob or Evo. The Z4 is nice though and kind of fits the bill all most levels.... Oh well, we'll see
Old 13 May 2010, 12:47 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

FWIW I am trying to cobble together circa £20k for a Z4M. I was hoping to achieve it for this summer but, tbh, it's just not happening.

What I suspect I might do is buy another S2000 for a year or so as a stop gap to keep me entertained. It's still the best car I've ever owned to date and you can get sub 50k miles 2005 minters for £10-12k. Not bad for a reliable RWD sports car with 240bhp, a mental engine, the best gearchange in history, etc.

I looked at Boxster S's for the same sort of money but I just don't like the look of the older Boxters (esp pre-facelift). The 2004 revisions to the S2000 kept it looking pretty fresh IMHO whereas 2004 boxters look pretty gash.

I also know what you mean about the scooby/evo thing. It's the old power versus [something else] argument. I hanker after the roof down RWD experience again....but for the same money you can get 400+bhp and AWD.....hmmmmmmmm.
Old 13 May 2010, 01:05 PM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I used to love those cars too. But, like the rest of you Im over 6ft tall and slowly becoming 6ft wide too :-)

Lately though Ive swerved off buying newer cars and am well into cheap motor and running 5hitters !! Ive limited myself to between £2-5KK tops now, as I dont think you need to spend more. Im flirting around the idea of a Jag S Type R aka the supercharged one, and seen ones go for £6K. 400bhp, luxury, speed, lovely.

Ive still got my M3, but now use a 2002 Rover MG ZR TD as my daily commute. It cost me £1300, done 60K miles and by swapping out the injectors with a set from a Rover 600 ( £50 ) its now running 130bhp. 40+mpg, £40 to fill up, cheap as chips :-) And, I cant believe the torque of this thing :-), coming from twin turbo supras / m3, it wouldnt embrass itself in this company.

Another reason I love running around in 5hitters, is that I can leave the car anywhere and not worry about scratchesm dents, and after 6 / 7 months, sell it on usually making money. In my M3, people used to scratch it, or parking dents, etc etc.

So, keep hold of your cash, buy yourself a fun old 5hitter and enjoy ! :-)

SBK
Old 13 May 2010, 08:47 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Saxo - I've just bought my second S2000. I have to second the gearbox change - epic!

This one has been fettled a little though! Brembo brakes, 18" Alloys, Mugen SS Carbon Fibre front bumper and best of all..... A Rotrex Supercharger. It's pushing around 350bhp - quite entertaining!!!

Are you a member of S2Ki? If so what is your username?
Old 13 May 2010, 08:52 PM
scatty
Scooby Regular

you will be fine at 6ft odd......i had an elise a few years back, and once you have mastered the spiderman entry and exit, they are quite roomy once settled inside....great driving position...crap for golf clubs tho....
Old 13 May 2010, 08:58 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Supercharged S2000....mmmmmmmmm

I'm Saxo Boy on S2ki as well but I've not posted in over a year now. Once I sold up I just lost interest following the forum. God knows why I still post here??
Old 13 May 2010, 09:38 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

I drove one to the limit as part of a Palmersport Experience day that I did a few years back.. I found and passed the limit at 80mph too, proper **** your pants moment when you realise the high speed drift/exit from the corner you thought you'd caught has actually gone too far and is away to snap to the other direction and ping you off the track.

Quick car though and felt brilliant to drive. I'm just over 6ft and not a small bloke, but it was roomy enough to drive once you're settled in.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 13 May 2010, 10:28 PM
wrx-kurt
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

my cousin had one, and let me tell ya if i did not have kids i would have one tommorrow. They are one of the best motors ever made and feel unreal to drive. so so fast and handling is unreal. 11 out of 10 mate. get one if you fit lol
Old 14 May 2010, 07:58 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Not as quick as a bug-eye STI in the twisties.....

dunx

P.S. Still like one, as much as an S2000.
Old 14 May 2010, 10:13 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

I'm 6ft 3 and 17 stone and I have no problem getting in and out of my exige. Once you've mastered the technique it's a piece of **** so should be the same in the VX. I fitted a snap of steering wheel which makes it even easier.
Old 14 May 2010, 11:56 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris singleton
I'm 6ft 3 and 17 stone and I have no problem getting in and out of my exige. Once you've mastered the technique it's a piece of **** so should be the same in the VX. I fitted a snap of steering wheel which makes it even easier.
Interesting

Sounds like it could be a possibility then & I'm not quite 17 stone yet but working on it

A test drive could be in order me thinks
Old 14 May 2010, 12:01 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Always really liked them - seem much better value than their Elise cousins too. Has to be a turbo though.