Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Have AMG finally cracked it?

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2010, 09:01 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have AMG finally cracked it?

The 2010 E63 AMG seems to have cracked it. They've always made fantastic engines and wonderful looking cars but the handling was a little soft.

This new E63 AMG has steel suspension upfront and airmatic at the back for what seems to be like a fantastic combination of handling and comfort.

They've also swapped the gearbox for one that has a 'wet clutch' so no torque converter and this is said to make for a much quicker and aggressive gearbox.

There is also an optional AMG performance package that gives a LSD and further uprated suspension. A lot of the second hand models I've looked at seem to have opted for this

Looks take a bit of getting used to.

Thinking of changing over to one this year, what do you guys think? Its either that or hold on until next year for the new M5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1Amw...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssopmgvU-fA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GINMe7K_aL0

Last edited by Dingdongler; 04 May 2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04 May 2010, 09:26 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Sounds great, reliability would still worry me, but if you have warranty and then extend it, why not?
Old 04 May 2010, 09:29 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Sounds great, reliability would still worry me, but if you have warranty and then extend it, why not?
I don't think reliability is much of an issue with modern mercs, they had a bad run a few years back but I think its much better now.

If I bought one it would be about a year old so two years warranty left anyway.

Question is should I wait for the M5? Will it be something really special that will blow the E63 AMG out of the water?
Old 04 May 2010, 09:36 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks and sounds fantastic IMO
Old 04 May 2010, 09:37 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I heard the story about improved reliability too, so I asked my friend who owns/owned various automotive companies including garage servicing and chauffeuring services (ran a fleet of Mercs quite recently) and he says they are still not reliable.

Last edited by john banks; 04 May 2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06 May 2010, 12:12 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
I don't think reliability is much of an issue with modern mercs, they had a bad run a few years back but I think its much better now.

If I bought one it would be about a year old so two years warranty left anyway.

Question is should I wait for the M5? Will it be something really special that will blow the E63 AMG out of the water?
No ...get the c63 now as the F10 M5 is only a V8 twin turbo .......... plus it looks like a bmw 7 series
Old 06 May 2010, 12:53 AM
_KENDO_
Scooby Regular

have to wait until I am a middle aged rich man
Old 06 May 2010, 09:30 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

John, thanks for the heads up, shame really as I got the impression MB has sorted themselves out. Need to keep it in perspective though I suppose as many of the so called prestige marques have similar issues.

Bighead, not sure what you mean. The E63 also has a V8 but the M5 will have two turbos bolted on for good measure. Many people are disappointeed that the new M5 won't have a bespoke V10 but having lived with it for a number of years it does have its drawbacks. Its great when driving hard but not so good at normal driving, the power doesn't really start until about 4k rpm and so lacks that low down torque that's nice around town. Twin turbos should sort that out.

Kendo, sadly I am middle aged. There needs to be some compensation for this!
Old 06 May 2010, 10:29 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Bmw will loose sales because of the fact that they are fitting the V8tt into the F10 M5.
yes yr right the c63 "has" only a V8...but its 6.3 litres !!
The only thing I find owing the M5 is the fuel consumption is very poor (but then my E90 M3 is only a few mpg better )...no probs with the torque, as if its just normal driving its has penty of torque and if yr gunning its you will be in the higher rpm anyway

mind you the F10 M5 will porbably be better handler than the Merc

Last edited by bighead; 06 May 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06 May 2010, 11:28 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I think the only panacea for reliability is a Lexus, but it doesn't have the handling and the image is an acquired (American) taste.

If you have a warranty though, enjoy the MB.
Old 06 May 2010, 11:33 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

The only thing that puts me off, much like the M5, is lack of a conventional manual gearbox.

I don't really care what other people think or how technocrats think of their superiority; I just don't like them in any guise, doubt I'll ever will. Much like why I won't buy a new Jaguar, as they don't give the customer an option to have what they want (I'm sure there are other folk out there who opt for a conventional manual if given the option).

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 May 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06 May 2010, 11:51 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Bighead, must say I disagree. I think the M5 does lack a bit of low down grunt, its torque figure iirc is 360, whereas the AMG is something like 450.

I don't think they will lose sales at all, some people have some romantic notion of the current V10. I never bought the M5 just because of the engine it was the entire pacakage. If the new M5 provides an even better package ie more power (or at least more low down torque), better handling (perhaps weight reduction?)and a better gearbox (the SMG is not the best out there) then it'll be that ultimate pacakage that myself and plenty others will be lining up to buy.
Old 06 May 2010, 01:32 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Bighead, must say I disagree. I think the M5 does lack a bit of low down grunt, its torque figure iirc is 360, whereas the AMG is something like 450.

I don't think they will lose sales at all, some people have some romantic notion of the current V10. I never bought the M5 just because of the engine it was the entire pacakage. If the new M5 provides an even better package ie more power (or at least more low down torque), better handling (perhaps weight reduction?)and a better gearbox (the SMG is not the best out there) then it'll be that ultimate pacakage that myself and plenty others will be lining up to buy.
yes yr r8.....but alot of the drive-ablity is down to geaing of the gear box to the engine's torque , i mean any car that can do 0-60mph in under 5 secs cant be really be low on torque

have to say the interior of the F10 is really impressive ...just not sure on the 7 series styling though .....my dealer was trying to sell the F10 M5 to me while i was in their showroom , but i mean for that kind of cash (£70k+)there are plenty options

Last edited by bighead; 06 May 2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06 May 2010, 01:38 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
The only thing that puts me off, much like the M5, is lack of a conventional manual gearbox.

I don't really care what other people think or how technocrats think of their superiority; I just don't like them in any guise, doubt I'll ever will. Much like why I won't buy a new Jaguar, as they don't give the customer an option to have what they want (I'm sure there are other folk out there who opt for a conventional manual if given the option).
ALi-B.....dont write on the DCT/SMG just yet as the one on the E9x M3 are very impressive , my thoughts were just like yrs on the smg/dct box until you actually own one .
the ones on the E60 M5 were not great but these get better with every generation model ,just try one and you will see for yr self if its right for you
Old 06 May 2010, 02:13 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I did (M5 E60 - wrangled one for the day). I preferred the E39 (or a VXR8; just for the power delivery alone, but not the styling). Whilst the e39 is a fully loaded car, the gadgets never got in the way. Considering the cost of a e60 m5, it'd be nice to have good proper six speed manual gearbox as an optional extra (or even one with a dog leg on 1st gear like the original M5).

Granted semi-automatics seem fun at first but I found the novelty rapidly wears off. Then one notices the little glitches, bugbears and drivebility inconsistancy, then it just becomes more and more annoying the more I drive it.

Inccidentally the US spec M5 came with a proper manual option (albeit with throttle management to prevent the yanks doing full bore lauches).

Last edited by ALi-B; 06 May 2010 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06 May 2010, 03:42 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

What about the new 4 doors on the block?

Aston And Porsche
Old 06 May 2010, 04:49 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
I heard the story about improved reliability too, so I asked my friend who owns/owned various automotive companies including garage servicing and chauffeuring services (ran a fleet of Mercs quite recently) and he says they are still not reliable.
There is a recall on at the moment for the Blue Efficiency diesel injectors. It is a bit harsh to say every car made is unreliable. Many a Merc taxi putting in thousands of miles a year in across Europe. The bigger issue for MB has been the rust issues on late 90's to early 2000's cars.

5t.
Old 06 May 2010, 08:22 PM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Inccidentally the US spec M5 came with a proper manual option (albeit with throttle management to prevent the yanks doing full bore lauches).
yes and most wanted the smg
Old 08 May 2010, 10:10 AM
Big1Jim
Scooby Newbie

I would definitely go for the E63 mate..then you can assess how you feel after a year and perhaps be in a better position to haggle for a new M5 if thats the way you decide to go.

Personally, I'm still shopping for an E55. I don't think our budgets are the same

I loved the Top Gear item they did a few months back on the E63 and M5 estates. For me, the ability to press a button and the boot floor extracts far out weighs any performance figures . I would spoend my days in Tesco's car park pressing that button to my hearts content.....think how many advances from MILF you'd get!

Good luck with the hunt. If on your travels you get offered a cheap, low mileage E55 with dynamic seats and keyless go give me a shout

Jim
Old 14 May 2010, 05:15 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big1Jim
I would definitely go for the E63 mate..then you can assess how you feel after a year and perhaps be in a better position to haggle for a new M5 if thats the way you decide to go.

Personally, I'm still shopping for an E55. I don't think our budgets are the same

I loved the Top Gear item they did a few months back on the E63 and M5 estates. For me, the ability to press a button and the boot floor extracts far out weighs any performance figures . I would spoend my days in Tesco's car park pressing that button to my hearts content.....think how many advances from MILF you'd get!

Good luck with the hunt. If on your travels you get offered a cheap, low mileage E55 with dynamic seats and keyless go give me a shout

Jim

Thanks

The problem is if I go for the AMG now I won't be able to afford the M5 when it comes out. I'll have to hang on to the AMG for 3-4 years to even out the depreciation.

I think I'll try and hold out for the new M5