Daihatsu YRV

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2010, 06:49 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daihatsu YRV

Hi All

Anyone with experience of these? Lass is looking for her first car and wants a Suzuki Swift but they hold their money amazingly well so they're beyond her £3kish budget despite the oldest ones being 5 years old. Actually we think the Suzuki Splash looks a better car, but that's too new to be anywhere near budget.

Other ideas are Yaris or Jazz, but I like the YRV from the left field, and am trying to convince her to try one out. Trouble is they're a rare beast and it's a fair way to go to view the one I've found, although it is a peach on paper.

I had a look at a Daihatsu Cuore of the same sort of era and that seemed pretty cheap and nasty; the new shape Sirion was better but not of the same quality as Toyota, Honda or even Suzuki. What's the YRV like inside and in terms of build?

I know the 1.3 engine is shared with the Yaris; are other mechanicals shared with either the Yaris or Sirion? There's no NCAP rating for the YRV and she's quite concerned about safety, so if it were essentially the same car as a Yaris/Sirion (4 and 3* respectively) this would be helpful info.

Cheers
Old 20 April 2010, 08:13 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Hi All

Anyone with experience of these? Lass is looking for her first car and wants a Suzuki Swift but they hold their money amazingly well so they're beyond her £3kish budget despite the oldest ones being 5 years old. Actually we think the Suzuki Splash looks a better car, but that's too new to be anywhere near budget.

Other ideas are Yaris or Jazz, but I like the YRV from the left field, and am trying to convince her to try one out. Trouble is they're a rare beast and it's a fair way to go to view the one I've found, although it is a peach on paper.

I had a look at a Daihatsu Cuore of the same sort of era and that seemed pretty cheap and nasty; the new shape Sirion was better but not of the same quality as Toyota, Honda or even Suzuki. What's the YRV like inside and in terms of build?

I know the 1.3 engine is shared with the Yaris; are other mechanicals shared with either the Yaris or Sirion? There's no NCAP rating for the YRV and she's quite concerned about safety, so if it were essentially the same car as a Yaris/Sirion (4 and 3* respectively) this would be helpful info.

Cheers
Hi there, I currently own both a Subaru Impreza STi (53 plate blob) and a Daihatsu YRV Turbo 130.

The latter is a Turbo charged 1.3 litre DVVT (Daihatsu version of Toyotas VVT-i) DOHC 16V k3-VET engine with 130BHP! It's a group 8 insure car and cheap to run with around 40MPG and a 0-60 of around 8 seconds.

There are quite a few models of the YRV and they share the same underpinings as the Phase1 & 2 (Mark 1) Toyota Yaris. As well as sharing parts with the mark 1 Daihatsu Sirion (98 - 05) before they became the shape they sell at today.

As for build quality then your best comparing this with the Classic scooby, thin metal shell that dings easily and cheapish plastics. The YRV stands for 'Young Recreational Vehicle' and is classed more as a mini MPV.

The other models range from a 1 litre 12v manual to 1.3 16V Petrol, with the top of the range being the rare Turbo 130, but all come as far as I am aware with Air-Con as standard, air-bags, re-inforced side impact bars.

Don't get me wrong these cars are bullit proof, engine and mechanicals. But the ride height etc.. is not for everyones tastes. Have you looked at the older Sirion? These come in quick forms such as the Rally2 & 4 without trubos but putting out around 111Bhp from their tuned 1.3 Litre 16valve engines.

Pop over to www.daihatsu-drivers.co.uk for more info
Old 21 April 2010, 10:22 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply. It sounds a reasonable bet then. Just looking at the normally aspirated 1.3 as she's not interested in speed, the Turbo sounds fun to me though!

Any ideas how they stand up in a smash?

Will have a look at their owners club, thanks.
Old 22 April 2010, 06:17 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyster
Thanks for the reply. It sounds a reasonable bet then. Just looking at the normally aspirated 1.3 as she's not interested in speed, the Turbo sounds fun to me though!

Any ideas how they stand up in a smash?

Will have a look at their owners club, thanks.
For the money the turbo is a good car, you get 15" alloys as standard, but the suspension is a little harsh. It runs on a 4-speed auto box with the option for manual changes using the buttons on the steering wheel.

Yeah the normally aspirated cars run @ 85bhp using the K3-VE engine. As for how they in a smash up then I'm afraid I couldn't say. luckily I haven't had to find out.