Mazda6 or Galant?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2009, 11:09 PM
Tomos
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mazda6 or Galant?

Hello all

Im about to look at two cars in the next couple of days.

52reg Mazda6 2.0TS with 47k miles for £3000
51reg Mitsubishi Galant 2.0 Sport with 85k miles for £2500

Just wondering what your thoughts are on these two cars. And which you think would be the better option?
Basically, what I'm looking for is something comfortable for my relatively short yet traffic jammed commute to work. But I also want something that cruises well on the motorway for frequent drives between North Wales and Birmingham. I would like something reasonably good looking, and have always loved the aggressive styling of the galant, but I'm starting to think its looking a little dated now. The mazda seems like plenty of car for the money, and still looks sharp.

The Galant sounds pretty mint from what ive been told, garaged, one owner etc... but the mazda is younger and significantly fewer miles on the clock with full mazda SH. I understand the clutch on the mazda6 can be a problem, as is suspension with the galant. Anyone had any experience of either? Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by Tomos; 27 August 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 28 August 2009, 06:31 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

2.ol galant is slow, go for the 2.5, i had one for a while and would have another one. easy 35mpg even from the V6. Well equipped, handles well even in std trim feels smaller and more chuckable than its size portrays the 2.0l will not be much better on fuel unless you drive like miss daisy. 2.5 engine has loads of torque and 170BHP so no slouch.

The Galant was written off in a rear ender - Jenny and kids in the car, all walked away after being hit hard and pushed some 15 meters up the road!
Galant was repaired and back on the road

If not then the Mazda 2.0 is probably a better buy than the galant 2.0. having said that i have had two Mazdas, nothing but niggly electrical trouble with both and the dealers are rubbish. Mazda parts are expensive. Coil pack for my 323 was £ 190.00 - only Mazda make them so charge what they like. Do your research on faults on that model Mazda would be my advice

google the VR4 forum - has a non turbo section with lots of Galant sport owners there

Last edited by The Zohan; 29 August 2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 29 August 2009, 11:49 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

The mazda 6 is a no brainer in those two above, lower millage and newer and they are really nice cars to drive
Old 29 August 2009, 12:18 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

A mate of mine has the Legnum VR4 TT as his car and the Mazda 6 is his Mrs car.

Both very good to be driven in to be fair. For commuting or motorway miles, I'd go for the Mazda though.
Old 29 August 2009, 03:51 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

My wife has a 07 plate 2.0D (143bhp 6 speed version) Mazda 6 and it's been superb. Nothing has gone wrong in the 2 years we've had it, servicing has been cheap and it drives well, lots of space, and a decent turn of speed.
Old 30 August 2009, 06:34 PM
Tomos
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys
Unfortunately, the mazda had gone. The guy sounded extremely dodgy when I phoned up anyway. Thought I was phoning about a BMW at first... and when I questioned, claimed he didnt have a bmw, he just got "confused"!
Anyway, I went to see the Galant today and I was delighted with it. Its an absolute minter, as described. Agreed on a price of £2200 and put my deposit down. Im picking it up on tuesday.
Thanks again for your help
Old 31 August 2009, 09:03 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Cool

The 2.0l is slow and not great on fuel due to the size of the car and it not being a powerful or toruqey engine and if you can live with poor fuel economy from a car without performance to offset this then this is the car for you. All i would say is drive it around for an hour, attempt to overtake etc and if it still feels great then maybe this is the car for you.

2.5 sport is a much, much better car in every way.