Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Caterfield as a daily driver ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2009, 09:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Caterfield as a daily driver ?

I dont do much driving, my Saab bores me sh1tless, was reading about Caterhams in Autocar, a ten year old one, 20k new sold for 15k and will barely depreciate according to the article.

Have done 1800 miles since November in mine, I cycle to work most days so was thinking that a Westfield might be a good choice, it would need to be ok round town, reliable and as our garage is full of crap like Washing Machines it would need to live outside all year round, possibly covered but more than likely not.

Your thoughts ?
Old 27 August 2009, 10:47 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VX220 Turbo (pref Stage 2) or Elise 111r IMHO. Almost as much fun but retain just enough practicality/security/etc.

IMHO Caterfields are primarily "3rd cars"....i.e you've got a family hack, you've got a sporty little number for the wife (Boxter, Z4, Evo (if she's a goer)) and then you get a caterfield for track days and when you want to go ballistic at the weekends.
Old 27 August 2009, 10:57 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
VX220 Turbo (pref Stage 2) or Elise 111r IMHO. Almost as much fun but retain just enough practicality/security/etc.

IMHO Caterfields are primarily "3rd cars"....i.e you've got a family hack, you've got a sporty little number for the wife (Boxter, Z4, Evo (if she's a goer)) and then you get a caterfield for track days and when you want to go ballistic at the weekends.
Thats the point, I barely use my car, so it can be compromised, donre more miles on my bike this year, work is sven country road miles away.
Old 27 August 2009, 11:42 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

S2000?
Old 28 August 2009, 12:09 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but there is 'compromised' and there is 'compromised'. At least VX/elise type cars can still be called cars. Caterfields are like go-karts for the road!
Old 28 August 2009, 09:10 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

My mate had a VX as a daily driver for 18 months although doing a 60 mile round trip every day wore him down - great in the summer not so when its lashing it down and gale force winds on the M62 as being light suffer from cross winds but.... they are a superb car. whilst not the fastest (my mate had the NA version) it his probably the best car i have driven.

You literally feel connected to the road.

Plus points:

Great drive resonably performance sub 6 sec 0-60 ok up to a 100

Handling is sublime, steering composure etc just feels great, car feels alive.

Reliable as engine is a relatively mild 2.2 out of a Vectra

Returns 30mpg+

Boot space not bad - will hold a couple of holdalls.

Bad points:

Skittish when wet at high speed

They're hand made and inside it shows, loads of squeaks and rattles

Suceptable to cross winds.

If your a fat **** like me you wont be able to get into the driving seat with the roof on (i couldn't get my legs under the steering column)
It is a pain keep squeezing in and out.

Brakes were not brilliant to be honest - need uprating imo.

But i'd have one like a shot. they're brilliant cars.

Last edited by The Chief; 28 August 2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 28 August 2009, 09:27 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

In a word Jacko, no.

There are diehards that run them every day in all weathers, but leaving them outside for long periods isn't ideal - security for one.

Also when do you do your 1800 miles? If its when the weather is too bad for the bike, then jumping into a soaked caterfield won't bring you to love it, I can tell you.

They are not dry with the hood up, just less wet.
Old 28 August 2009, 09:29 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Oh and you are right about depriciation.

Bought mine for £10k, 2.5 years later sold it for £9k
Old 28 August 2009, 09:53 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't like to leave one outside - even on a drive way.

I wouldn't like to drive one on the motorway or even a duel carrigeway.

Is the roof waterproof in todays weather (pissing down in Cheshire)?

What about an MX-5?

Steve
Old 28 August 2009, 12:31 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

My mate had a VX as a daily driver for 18 months although doing a 60 mile round trip every day wore him down
That's hardly surprising, it's quite a lot of mileage. I mean, I used to do that in a classic Impreza and that wore me down despite having 4-doors, a normal interior and a boot. It was the reason I bought my 406 V6 at the time. It's also the reason that I bought the Mondeo as our main car recently. However, at the first chance I'm getting something like a VX for the fun factor
Old 28 August 2009, 01:46 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

in the "summer" months I often use my Caterham type kit car as a daily driver (45 mile round trip to work)

and have used it for a few long (150 mile) business trips

but I find it quite a brutal experience, especially with the hood down
Old 28 August 2009, 06:40 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Ok, I think you have convinced me !

I take the car when I have no choice, not usually weather related but I see your points.
Old 29 August 2009, 12:55 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Ok, I think you have convinced me !

I take the car when I have no choice, not usually weather related but I see your points.
Not sure what your budget is but honestly go and drive a VX220. A na version is fast enough for most situations but if you want to blow your socks off get the turbo with mods it is as quick as a 911 turbo.

I'll bet that if you go and test drive a turbo you'll buy one.
Old 29 August 2009, 02:28 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Chief, you are the second person that I've heard say that (quick as a 911 turbo) but I just don't see how that stacks up unless, perhaps, you went for stage 4+. Stage 2 and 3 (240 and 260bhp approx, respectively) return figures in the region of 0-100mph in 11s and 10s respectively. Very fast but not as quick as a 911 turbo.

That said, I've no direct experience. I'd certainly hope so since I'm planning a Stage 2 VX2220 turbo but it seems like wishful thinking. I've been in a stripped out Stage 3 and it was certainly fast. Not been in 911 turbo to compare though.
Old 29 August 2009, 03:02 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

You can get these up to around 300bhp if you spend a bit and this raises the power per ton to around 320 ish or so.

I think traction off the line is an issue certainly compared to a 997 Turbo but once rolling i suspecrt it would be every bit as fast at normal road speeds.
Old 29 August 2009, 04:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

300hp needs more than 'spend a bit' from what I can gather. Need VXR turbo and actuator, exhaust, chargecooler, clutch, radiator, remap and some other bits and bobs from what I recall. I think it's circa £6k which is frankly ridiculous given that you could probably do most of that to an Impreza buying parts 2nd hand where appropriate for £1000-1500.

My big gripe is that Stage 2 costs £2k. That's just plain stupid money for an exhaust and remap I'll be looking for a car that's had the work done already at someone else's expense. I'm amazed that someone hasn't hit the market to do the exhaust and remap for much less money thereby forcing a price war. Madness.
Old 30 August 2009, 04:11 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
My big gripe is that Stage 2 costs £2k. That's just plain stupid money for an exhaust and remap I'll be looking for a car that's had the work done already at someone else's expense. I'm amazed that someone hasn't hit the market to do the exhaust and remap for much less money thereby forcing a price war. Madness.
I don't think the customer base is large enough for many companies to get involved with developing maps etc.
Old 31 August 2009, 10:47 AM
RJM25R
Scooby Regular

I would buy a (cheaper) super-7 style car, like an MK indy, Tiger avon or something similar. Doable for under £7k and again, no depreciation!

Thats where I'm going next!!!