Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Need some diesel help

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2009, 08:18 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some diesel help

So, I'm still waiting for the right car to come along but TBH it would help if I could narrow down my search to at least 1 or 2 models.

Roughly £10,000 to spend.

Has anyone driven the following or give some advice about these:

Ford Mondeo ST TDCI - can get a 2007 with some manufacturers warranty still on it.
- I think this is the one to go for and it's just a case of waiting

Honda Accord CDTi Sport (Exec) - looks to be roughly 2005 model with approx 30,000 miles
- went to see this today, not impressed. Loose cabin and creaky doors. Budget tyres.

Skoda Octavia VRs TDi - 2006 possibly 2007 model
- engine not as good as the Ford

Mazda 6 143bhp TS2 Sport - 2006 available
- don't know much about them but they get a good review on Parkers, dunno really...

VW Golf GT TDi - would like the 170bhp model but it looks like 140bhp is more affordable
- overpriced for what it is, especially compared to the Ford

VW Passat TDi - new shape
- same as the Golf really

Audi A4 TDi S Line - more miles on them at this price
- over priced I think although the cabin quality is excellent, will it hold value starting with big miles though?

Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 180bhp model
- rare at this price and the shape is slightly dated

Seat Leon FR Tdi - new shape
- same as the Golf but cheaper, not sure on the looks TBH

Saab 9-3 Vecotr Sport - 150bhp model
- has lots of issues apparently, was in one the other day and it's nice inside, I'd need to budget for repairs even if it is a cheaper statring point

As you can see I've far too much choice

Please help lol!
Old 09 August 2009, 08:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Only you know what suits you. Go to Carcraft for a poke, prod, sit and general shufty, then leave. DO NOT under ANY circumstances consider buying from them, it's just handy to have all the cars under one dry, air conditioned roof

The Mondeo is a very good car with a better engine than the VAG units, but the VAG engines respond better to tuning if you were to go down that route. However, since VAG went common rail (PS engines instead of PD) they don't achieve quite as much, mainly due to the DPF (diesel particulate filter) which can be removed, at a price.

You could also consider the BMW 330D, maybe around 2004/5.
Old 09 August 2009, 08:50 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Looks like you`ve already decided on the Ford to be honest.

I`d have a look at another Accord if I were you.
Old 09 August 2009, 09:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mondeo is an excellent choice also look at the Vauxhall Astra CDTi 150, damn good car replaced at the end of the year but you can pick an 07 plate 5 door up for well within your bracket

Tony
Old 09 August 2009, 09:13 PM
the_boy
Scooby Regular

With regards to the Honda I did some reading of the customer reviews on Parkers before I went to see it and know the main faults. For £9500 I expected the car to be much better than it was. I hear what you're saying but apparently creaky doors are a common complaint. The dash had panels you pushed and they slid open, problem was they wouldn't shut afterwards and it's those kind of things that would constantly break and do your tree in.

I'm not going to modify the car TBH, I was considering a 535d in the dim and distant past with an emaps tune but I thought why? It's for going to work and back and day trips with the family. It's not a V6 monster and it's never going to be THAT good...

Have ruled out Vauxhall because I've had one before and it was very poor. I've also had a hired Vectra diesel before. Very drab inside and the suspension was wallowy. Mate's GF had the Astra and that too was dull.

I like the 330d 204bhp model but you're talking poorer MPG, more expensive parts & maintenance. Plus mileage will be bigger. It's 2004 and I could get for example a 2007 non BMW for less cash.

Last edited by the_boy; 09 August 2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 09 August 2009, 09:46 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im talking astra H here apart from it gets rave reviews and most say its nearly as good on the road as the top of the class focus (they rate it 3rd with the new golf in 2nd) well, nearly 16k miles in a year for me, runs great, handles great (and mine is only a 120 cdti ) but if you dont like em, ah well (but I would rule out anything vw also, not very reliable).
Mondeo it is then

Tony
Old 09 August 2009, 10:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Agree with the 'VW, not very reliable' But I agree with the OP about not liking Vauxhauls [shudder] I've never driven one that didn't leave me underwhelmed, disappointed or annoyed. I used to try and kill one I had for a while on loan it was so loathsome I may change my opinion if I were to drive a VX220 Turbo or Monaro/VXR8, but one was really a Lotus and the others are Australian, so not really Vauxhauls in my eyes.