Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Tell me about the BMW Mini Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2009, 03:50 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tell me about the BMW Mini Cooper S

This is now a strong contender as my wife's car and my fun car seeing as how I'll no doubt end up with another diesel Octavia for a company car.

Which is the better car, the supercharged or turbocharged version?

What are the common faults?

Will we have to become estate agents?

Thanks

Steve
Old 02 July 2009, 05:16 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

Can't comment on the Turbo, but here goes on the super charger!

The Mrs has a 1st generation, face lift (post August 2004) 54plate John Cooper Works Cooper S, 210bhp.
The super charger sounds awsome on song & it goes like stink. I have to say that the handling is dam good too. Its running on the factory sports upgrade suspension & 18'' JCW wheels & Dunlop DSST run flats. Now the run flats are good but not the best for B road blasts, but they do the job.
As standard also from day one, when warm the exhaust 'pops & bangs'

As for faults, its never spent a day in the garage.

I know that some of the 1st generation (pre August 04), & some later models have issues with water ingress in the electronic control unit. This results in major electronic faults ie; doors unlocking & windows opening on there own & then refusing to open. But there is a simple fix, which is a cover that fits over the control unit.

There have also been issues over the power steering pump & rack failing. But from the reports i've read Mini usually pays up, including when out of warranty!

Ceck out MINI2 - MINI Forum - Fuel For Your MINI Obsession - MINI Cooper - S - One - Diesel - Works - Cabrio

Last edited by IggyRB320; 02 July 2009 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02 July 2009, 05:37 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I must admit, the JCW S/c one appeals to me, but the missus likes new things so wll want the later car.

Steve
Old 07 July 2009, 01:10 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Son has a 55 plate S (Supercharged version). I really like it although he has had a few problems, (only on 18K). One clutch, two release bearings, window motor, wheel bearing, knocking exhaust, squeeeeky door stays. All covered under warranty and fixed without any hassle, dealer has been exceptional.
Old 07 July 2009, 01:22 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
This is now a strong contender as my wife's car and my fun car seeing as how I'll no doubt end up with another diesel Octavia for a company car.

Which is the better car, the supercharged or turbocharged version?

What are the common faults?

Will we have to become estate agents?

Thanks

Steve
Went out in a new turbo cooper S over the weekend with the other half. Nice little car; felt very sharp and responsive with enough poke for those of us who haven't been spoiled with higher powered turbo cars. A word of caution though: I was shocked at how firm the ride was; my UK classic with coilovers set on "medium" firm was softer LOL. I think ditching the run flat tyres would help, but it's still gonna be hard.

Hard to argue with the branding, but the dealers I dealt clearly flunked customer service 101! and if you're buying from a dealer (suggest you don't) Don't even think about a discount as you'll politely be told, "no".

Good 2nd hand private buys out there for the older supercharged version!
Old 07 July 2009, 02:56 PM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Recently sold 2003 supercharged all black one , great little car, ditched the hideous runflat tyres for Goodyear GSD3'S transformed the ride quality and handling ( slime kit in boot !) and had GTT upgrade it to 220bhp, which made it a flyer, only had the coolent header tank split in my year of ownership, the only downside for me was the fuel consumption, never got better than low 20's and you have to run them on sul.
Old 07 July 2009, 03:26 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Thanks all.

A Corsa VXR is on the cards as well now.

Steve

Trending Topics

Old 07 July 2009, 04:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Steve Sherwen
Thanks all.

A Corsa VXR is on the cards as well now.

Steve
LOL funny you mention that because guess what I also drove shortly after the Mini Cooper S!

Very nice little car as it happens. Goes better than the Mini as std: feels a bit like a std UK turbo in terms of power. Shows its front wheel drive layout fairly quickly though: steering very light to disguise torque steer, but traction good in first few gears providing you don't floor it out of tight turns. Suspect torque limited by ECU and quite intrusive traction control at play . It feels meaty rather than ballistic IYSWIM (as did the Mini). Again, suspension felt harsh, but less so than the mini- the one I drove was over wheeled IMHO 17s would be better than 18s. Heaps of space, given its small dimensions! Great front seats and ergonomics. Beats the Mini easily on std equipment and it depreciates like a stone, so excellent as a nearly new buy: 08s are going for 10-11k

Even quite liked the look of it! Must be my inner wide boy! Not a patch on the mini in terms of image though, nor build quality (though it's by no means bad). It'll also probably loose money hand over fist, but cost less to run.

Hope that helps.

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 07 July 2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07 July 2009, 07:25 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Agree with everything you have said. My sister has one.

I quite like the look of the arctic edition in white with black wheels and a loud Remus exhaust

Steve
Old 07 July 2009, 07:56 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Supercharge vs turbo; big debate on that

I'm a supercharger man (in JCW form ); instant throttle response and more linear power delivery. Makes it a better driver's car IMO; downside, overall peak rpm power is not as good, so whilst its a better drive, its slower and I've been told its pretty thirsty (never driven one enough to need filling it up ), Oh and the noise.

Although the turbo is a later updated model, so the rest of the car is better and refined (except the run flats, goodness the ride quality is bad ), emission better, fuel economy better etc.

So on emotion and feel; Supercharged, on paper and cold figures; Turbo.

Go test them both IMO

I'm still not the biggest fan of the Mini, but a supercharged JCW is damn tempting, I just can't get on with retro-wannabe-cool image (would be cool if some compnay brought out a bodykit - seeing the whole front of the car unbolts, there is huge potential to make it look radically different).
Old 07 July 2009, 09:00 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

One of my neighbours just got shot of a turbo Cooper S. Lots of reliability issues, around 2 turbos, panel fits after the dealer took the front end of for repairs, trim and electrical problems. He was a big BMW fan until then. He now has a CTR which he rates as light years better in quality terms. Less common too