Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Driven a skyline?

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2002, 01:56 PM
scoobycrazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who can give me an advice? I know i've been talking with Adam about this.Has anybody been in a skyline? or own a skyline? R33Vspec? What is like having 500bhp on that car? Would it be faster on a straight 0-400 than a 420 scoob?
Old 06 March 2002, 04:47 PM
CROYDON
Scooby Regular

Wink

See Spudguns thread in the "for Sale" forum...he'll tell u what you want to know (also sell u his beast!)
Old 06 March 2002, 06:41 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

I have been in both a 550bhp R34 and a 400bhp R33.
All i can say is that being a passenger in one of these is a experiance i wont forget

Old 06 March 2002, 09:05 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

SB, Go for the skyline... If you want an excellent example buy spudgun's. As you've probably read elsewhere I'm waiting (what feels like forever), to pick up a lovely silver 580bhp R33

I've never been in a 400bhp+ impreza, and there really aren't many in the uk, but I'm fed up of driving a car thats about as common as mondeos in this part of the world (10 in our company car park ). As for performance, if you keep the scooby get the brakes done... That should make your country roads blasts more fun (and the car quicker on track), I'd consider that before more power. Also high power scoobies don't tend to hold their value, which is a shame. As for performance, 0-60 will be quicker in the scooby, but past that I'd imagine the skyline will pull away.

-Jon
Old 06 March 2002, 09:11 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I should add that they are very different cars. The impreza is small, darty etc... The skyline is a large RWD car with an unnatural amount of grip thanks to the 4wd/4ws. Impreza is a rally car, skyline is a race car. Mail me offline if you want more info...

Jon
Old 07 March 2002, 08:27 AM
The RingMaster
Scooby Regular

Skyline , a RACE CAR ???

More like an overweight GT car with a race car engine.

No car that weighs 1700kg's is a race car in my books.

Justin
Old 07 March 2002, 10:11 AM
scoobycrazy
Scooby Regular

Guys thanks for your replies.I'm now in a much bigger dillema!.I'm thinking of getting a nice 6sp supra with a targa roof(fast and furious style and convert it to a 600bhp monster-I've heard is much cheaper to convert plus i love its looks!.Not to forget a traction control is a must from racelogic..Or a yellow r-33gtr v-spec...I'm tending more for a supra i love its interior-Proper sports driving position electric seats and monsterous twin turbo..On 19" will look awesome!
Old 07 March 2002, 10:17 AM
scoobycrazy
Scooby Regular

http://www.tdi-plc.com/toyota_supraMk4.html

awesome supras
Old 07 March 2002, 10:43 AM
CROYDON
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ring master, very true but it can get a little uncomfortable going to the shops with the kids with no interior/rear seats etc....

GT car yes. Rally car NO.
Old 07 March 2002, 12:36 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

600 BHP !

I think you may scare yourself, financialy and the more traditional route, I used to think in the same way until I drove a 911 Turbo (400 BHP) in Geneva, I decided that it was more power than I could ever need and it was 4wd. 600 BHP and RWD I suspect would be a bit of a liability. Still, would be good fun if you could get the power down and keep it reliable.
Old 07 March 2002, 01:27 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Anyone run one as a commuter car (25-30k miles per year)? Just wondering if it's possible (for example, it definitely isn't possible with a Maser Ghibli unless you've got very deep pockets -- I've done the maths )
Old 07 March 2002, 01:57 PM
scoobycrazy
Scooby Regular

I suppose japanese cars are very reliable..Specially supras and skyline..much better quality than subarus in many ways.Though as you said I'm a bit scared with RWD 600bhp though on 19" with 285 and a racelogic traction control it should be just OK.But i dont want to end up somewhere.I definately want a monster power car,thing is i want looks as well I know R-33 looks much better than a scoob but then Supras(i really love the looks).I dont want to end up with another cheap interior etc etc..Though Skyline is much better but is still not as good as an R-34 for example..I would get an R-34 if I had the money looove it.
Old 07 March 2002, 01:58 PM
scoobycrazy
Scooby Regular

Whats the gtr bbs website?
Old 07 March 2002, 02:29 PM
NLW33
Scooby Regular

guys.
the GTR site is gtr.co.uk.
You have to remember you are not comparing like cars. GTRs are the best part of 55k new and it is a solid bit of kit. 1700 kgs is a bit excessive, more like 1550kgs compared to say 1350 to the Impreza (old one). please correct me if wrong.
what you have to remember is the GTR is a purpose built, no expense track car built by nisaan, on which they lost so much money they have had to stop production, the engine alone costs well over 10k to put together and the engine code, RB26, stands for Race Bred. It is an iron block, therefore heavier than Ali but it can stand huge pressures when tuned. You can get about 600 BHP without touching the internals.
The car does not have a car it is made from ie the impreza sport or 1.6 std share the same platform at least. The GTR is based on no other menaning the ecnomoies of scale on it are just not there.
The scoob is a rally bred car with shorter gearing, smaller capacity and designed for darting around B roads at hellish speeds. The GTR not.
But fun factor is there with the GTR as it is rwd until the ECU tells otherwise and it will drag you out of the corner. But by that time you are doing silly speeds and the road is no place to get a GTR out of place. TRUST me on that one.
On a track it really is VERY capable (as is the Impreza) and was the GTR not the first production car to lap the ring in under 8 mins?? I seem to remember watching a jap video on ice and the GTR 34 kept up with the scooby and that was on ICE. In fact he was held up by the impreza. I think this is on the Evo forum under videos.
It is at the big speeds (over 100) where the GTR takes over and will leave the shorter geared cars. Plus the extra 2 cylinders help in maintaining the pace.
There seems to be a migration trend from AWD rally nut machine to the GTR and I have taken the same path. Don't know why but it seems logical. IMHO the GTR is a much more capable car on the track and easier to live with day to day. Plus I see way too many imprezas at work and on the way to work and the GTR gets all the looks.
But hey I am biased and I know you love your scoobs and why not. A very capable machine. But don't knock a skyline until you have been out in one. It is truly awesome and spudgun's would blow your mind. Especially when you hit 130 and it is still pulling like a bike.
NLW.
Old 07 March 2002, 02:39 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Been there, done that.

Skyline, if you want the next level.

Cem
Old 07 March 2002, 03:05 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

What Cem said!

Skylines are great. Mine makes me smile everytime.

Matt
Old 07 March 2002, 03:54 PM
CROYDON
Scooby Regular

Mark Jackon...The Skyline is not actually just RWD, so big BHP is fine after you've learn't to drive the car withe its 4 wheel steering and learnt to keep your foot to the floor if it goes wrong so that the torque can transfer (1/1000 sec claimed V Spec)to the front wheels and get you out of trouble!

...IS
Old 07 March 2002, 04:56 PM
scoobycrazy
Scooby Regular

Guys,

I think you are confusing me now i know skylines are the top but i really love the looks of a Supra,don't know yet i want to go and test drive both really i want to see how a supra handles the power..I've heard is pretty good with a racelogic traction control.No doubt skyline is the top car from handling point of view I absolutely agree.But if I had the cash i would go for an R-34 really like it.But I don't have the cash too much money over 22K plus i want a 550bhp car minimum..SO i would need to spend another 7-8K+ for 550 convertion.I think i'm going for a test drive asap.Has anybody else been in a 500bhp Supra? how fast is it? I know is easier and much cheaper to modify than skylines..
Old 08 March 2002, 03:09 PM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

BucketloadsOfPower

Just came across this - smack me dead with a fish... I think I´d be too scared to drive one of these
Old 09 March 2002, 09:18 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

Croydon, I was on about ScoobyCrazy thinking about getting a 600 bhp Supra, I am fully up to speed re the GTR and its drive layout, in any car 600 bhp would be apocalyptic, 300 bhp through front and back if 4wd.

911 Turbo borders on painful !
Old 13 March 2002, 08:36 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

Ringmaster....... hmmmm I wonder what "RING" you are refering to? I think you probably ARE the master of SOMEONES "RING" but I doubt, due to your ignorance of the Skylines track ability, that you have done much more on the "REAL RING" than perhaps taken a trip round the old race circuit on a bus with some Jap tourists in tow
For a start it don't weigh 1700KGs, and even if it did, it was still good enough to break the production car lap record so who says heavy is bad
You are a **** of the premier division and if you don't have something more sensible to say on here than I suggest you stick to the "Green Ham & Eggs" web site from now on.

Steve
Old 14 March 2002, 08:56 AM
MattN
Scooby Regular

a twin turbo aerotop won't exactly be cheap to buy.

year for year, probably more than a skyline.
Old 14 March 2002, 10:49 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hah

Excellently put, Steve

Cem
Old 14 March 2002, 10:58 AM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Wink

Shame a std Skylark couldn't break the lap record so they had to modify it though eh?

Just face it Cem and Steve - you've both got fat lardy rice buckets

PS Steve - I think the 1700kg is related to when you're driving it
Old 14 March 2002, 11:21 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

Nice trolling Craig.

You can't argue with numbers though. I've never seen a Scoob with 420bhp/tonne. There are plenty of Skylines that are.

Even de-restricted, a std. Skyline does ~270bhp/tonne, something most Scoobs could only dream of.

I have no recollection of an Impreza holding a lap record of the 'ring, whereas the Skyline has (and not wildly modified either)

In my experience, those who bitch about Skylines are those that can't afford them. Your mileage may vary.
Old 14 March 2002, 12:04 PM
CROYDON
Scooby Regular

Come now lads we don't want to get in to a **** fight over this do we, David a stock R33 can be bought for £15K these days so the price differential against say a STI5 is about flat. I totally agree that if that is the case £ for £ the Skyline is vastly more value and its tuning potential is massive.

This is Scoobynet home of the Subaru so coming on here and slagging the car isn't going to go down to well.

Skyline would be my preference over a Supra.

Just my views, don't want a row. Im off back to the GTR board before I'm tar and feathered!

Regards Ian Sutton GT R33 ex STI5.
Old 14 March 2002, 12:33 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

home of the Subaru so coming on here and slagging the car isn't going to go down to well
"Coming on here".. You make me sound like an interloper. I've been on this BBS for 3yrs now.

I wasn't slagging the Scooby down. I enjoyed the 2yrs I owned one. But the Skyline is simply in a different league.

Proof of the ignorance surrounding the Skyline, at practically every track day I attend, I get from supposed petrol-heads the following:

1. What about when you turn off all the traction control

2. The car drives itself doesn't it.

I was defending the Skyline, and commenting on those who criticised the Skyline.

[Edited by DavidBrown - 3/14/2002 12:35:30 PM]
Old 14 March 2002, 12:33 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

And dont come back Ian!
Old 14 March 2002, 12:59 PM
CROYDON
Scooby Regular

Wink

And David I was merely calming the thread down before you get an angy reply. I to have been on here for 3 odd years and thoroughly enjoyed my Subaru ownership! I had a password incident and lost my original user name and the 300 odd previous post!

David have you put youtr interest forward to the GTR Grasshopper meet 4th May or not your bag?

..Ian
Old 14 March 2002, 01:26 PM
scoobycrazy
Scooby Regular

Guys come on, stop fighting about cars is stupid.Everybody supports its car its the way it is.All jap cars are nice cars,depends on what you want them for,you want a cheap light runaround to have fun on twisty roads? get a scoob you want a power master? get a skyline or a supra and then again you decide what you want looks and awesome power? or handling and awesome power? for the 1st get a supra for the second get a skyline.Please dont compare subarus with skylines and supras.Compare subarus with mitsubishis.Skyline with supras.And then again its down to personal opinion.Its very obvious that somebody who owns a skyline will prefer skyline than a Supra.Best thing is drive both and see which one suit you but please don't fight.

Regards
Me

Quick Reply: Driven a skyline?