Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

The Scrappage scheme, Hyundai, and all that

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2009, 02:45 PM
spider
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question The Scrappage scheme, Hyundai, and all that

The news seems to be full of how well Hyundai is doing from the scrappage scheme.

Just wondered if anyone has actually either taken the offer up, or driven the i10 or i20 that seem to be the cars that they can't get enough of?

Must admit with the cars being dirt cheap, I'm tempted to chop in my old Pug 205 Diesel commuter car for something newer (especially as it needs 4 new tyres, possible suspension rebuild, cooling issues sorting, head gasket & leaking gearbox fix soon!).

I know all the arguments about how new cars lose so much value in depreciation - but I'm not so bothered as I tend to keep cars until they die (e.g the Pug)!

The other options would either be some supermini on 0% finance (Colt, Swift, Corsa) or spend £1000 on another old plain vanilla car to do the commute.

And no, I'm not thinking of chopping in the Scoob - even though it qualifies!!

Steve
Old 24 June 2009, 05:43 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

We are taking advantage of the scrappage scheme for the 18 year old I manage.

He has/had a K reg 205 which cost £60 18 months ago and will struggle to get through it's MOT in September so we have an Hyundai i10 ordered for September delivery.

We went around and tested all the other alternatives at the same price and the i10 was easily the best car of the bunch even when compared to things like the VW Fox.

It was also preferable IMHO compared to a two year old Corsa or Fiesta and combined with the 5 year warranty and cheap road tax it made a compelling case for itself.

We will take out GAP insurance so he doesn't end up in negative equity if something happens to the car in the first 3 years or so which should mitigate any initial depreciation worries as there will be no plans to sell it for maybe 5 years.

Last edited by RobinSherwood; 24 June 2009 at 05:45 PM.
Old 25 June 2009, 08:44 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Interesting Robin - thanks for that. Very interesting that the i10 showed up so well against all the others.

My Pug is K reg too; it owes me nothing, especially since I got £300 the other day when a guy ran into the back of it a few months back, cracking the bumper & putting a slight crease in the boot floor - his insurance effectively gave what was agreed as the current value.
Old 25 June 2009, 08:57 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The missus picks her new Fiat 500 up tomorrow via the scrapage scheme.

Just removed the stereo from "The Red Bast***" ie: 1996 corsa ****box

Last edited by StickyMicky; 25 June 2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 25 June 2009, 09:34 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobinSherwood
We are taking advantage of the scrappage scheme for the 18 year old I manage.

He has/had a K reg 205 which cost £60 18 months ago and will struggle to get through it's MOT in September so we have an Hyundai i10 ordered for September delivery.

We went around and tested all the other alternatives at the same price and the i10 was easily the best car of the bunch even when compared to things like the VW Fox.

It was also preferable IMHO compared to a two year old Corsa or Fiesta and combined with the 5 year warranty and cheap road tax it made a compelling case for itself.

We will take out GAP insurance so he doesn't end up in negative equity if something happens to the car in the first 3 years or so which should mitigate any initial depreciation worries as there will be no plans to sell it for maybe 5 years.
You do know you've just made sure your son is a laughing stock in front of his mates don't you?

While they have Corsa's, Fiesta's, Swift Sports etc, your son will be the geek in the Hyundai.

If your plan was to make sure your son remainded a Virgin, I think you may very well succeed.

Old 25 June 2009, 09:54 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spider
Interesting Robin - thanks for that. Very interesting that the i10 showed up so well against all the others.

My Pug is K reg too; it owes me nothing, especially since I got £300 the other day when a guy ran into the back of it a few months back, cracking the bumper & putting a slight crease in the boot floor - his insurance effectively gave what was agreed as the current value.
Have to say it surprised me too! I was expecting a horrid little car and was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. Also relevant is Tom (the 18 year old) holds an International Race Licence and is an ARDS Licensed Race Instructor so his opinion on what a car is like to drive is rather more relevant than that of your average 18 year old.

The other thing that surprised me was the attitude of the two Hyundai dealers we visited. Bristol Street Motors in Banbury were TOTALLY disinterested in selling us a car, they took the view they were sold out till September and were not going to take any more orders (they tried to sell us a Peugeot.....). By contrast Murleys in Stratford were welcoming and helpful and while explaining that the car/model we wanted could not be delivered until September due to the success of the scrappage scheme, they were more than happy to order a car if we didn't object to the wait. Seeing as Stratford is not that much further from us than Banbury, guess who will be getting the service business...............?
Old 25 June 2009, 10:00 AM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
You do know you've just made sure your son is a laughing stock in front of his mates don't you?

While they have Corsa's, Fiesta's, Swift Sports etc, your son will be the geek in the Hyundai.

If your plan was to make sure your son remainded a Virgin, I think you may very well succeed.

Actually he isn't my son, when I say 'I manage' I am literally his personal manager, though we are good friends as well.

He isn't a great Corsa fan and I think, as per my previous post, the fact he is a racing driver will mitigate any misplaced snobbery about the Hyundai brand amongst his friends. After all not many 18 year olds get to race state of the art GT racing cars at the weekend.
(He is racing a Ginetta G50 in the FIA European GT4 Championship this year).

HTH
Old 25 June 2009, 11:31 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Fair play to the lad - racing at 18, nice going - nice racecar too.

As you say, he should have a better understanding of what makes a good car on the road.

LOL at stilover - when me & my mates got our first cars it didn't what it was - it was the fact that you had one that gave you a buzz. Mind you, ours were a ragtag of things like Morris 1100, Beetle, Mini etc. etc. but a damn sight better than having to rely on parents to get round the wilds of Somerset!
Old 25 June 2009, 11:45 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

My sister has placed an order for the i10, her husband had a drive as well and was impressed, he is also 6'4 and still had head room, also for the price you get the aircon/leecy windows and side airbags, seems a nice little package.