Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

2nd hand prices on the bounce?

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2009, 09:17 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd hand prices on the bounce?

Or if not, the plummet seems to have stopped. Where does it go next?

What happened to the huge influx of pcp handbacks that was expected april/may that would depress the market further....?
Old 19 June 2009, 09:48 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

I think many prices listed are a joke - many dealers seem to have their heads stuck in the sand. I'd like to know what cars are REALLY selling for...
Old 19 June 2009, 11:51 AM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

I have watched a particular model for several months.
There is a price below which cars of the same age with reasonable spec, colour and mileage sell very quickly. If you go above this level cars just sit there and in dealers showrooms they have sat for months.
This price below which cars sell quickly does not seem to be increasing
Old 19 June 2009, 12:06 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

The syn - I'm keeping an eye out for 335d and 335i Tourings. About two months ago there were half a dozen low milers for low £20ks - now only poor versions are this cheap with the odd deal popping up every now and again. Most with similar low mileage to the others are £30k. A bit of a pain.

Also had a look at VW Californias (new shape) - prices for these are in cloud cuckoo land. They are £40k new (high spec) - none are under £33k even when two years old with lots of miles...
Old 19 June 2009, 01:31 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Men in sheepskin coats think the price of quality has gone up 10% this year with a shortage of cars in the market.

I know my car has appreciated by a couple of grand.
Old 19 June 2009, 04:55 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

In any none union market there will be hot spots ie prestige cars that are in demand which would probably explain the experience of the above posters.
I don't think that available finance has increased that dramatically also I am sure that many people do not feel as secure as previously in their employment so overall I cannot imagine that used car prices will rise.
Old 19 June 2009, 05:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At an auction I went to a week last Monday, clean stuff was going for CAP clean or Glass P-Ex price, diesels even a bit more. Mostly it was sheds though.
Old 24 June 2009, 11:38 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

I think it's hard to gauge the whole market without access to the trade bibles which list actual selling prices across the board. Anybody care to volunteer?

The kind of cars I watch are not really representative. When I bought my S4 in January, the Audi network was regularly showing around eight or so V8 models, and none of the new V6 cars. Now there have never been very many of these things about, but I've just checked and there are now 16 used S4 models on offer, all but one of them is the new V6, and the lone V8 at £20k I would say is pitched at least a grand higher than it would have been a few months ago.

Extremely hard to draw any conclusions from that, but it does support my general impression that prices of gas guzzlers have at least stopped plunging. I don't know where all the V8 S4 cars have gone. Have all the bargains been snapped up, are dealers just not taking them in, offering really low px? I know the official Audi dealer I bought from couldn't wait to get rid of mine - it had been on the forecourt for 18 months with a silly sticker price
Old 25 June 2009, 10:39 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

mmm wait until the price of petrol hits £1.26, which it will do at the first sniff of an economic upturn

I think that will knock the price of all but the prestigious gas guzzlers
Old 25 June 2009, 12:37 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

FWIW I purchased a Porsche 911 at the back end of last year and I got £5k off the screen price. It was priced the same as most other similar spec cars. This was at a main OPC.

I very, very much doubt I would get that discount now, maybe £1k tops.
Old 25 June 2009, 12:53 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

And, just to add, I think the used market will be in for some interesting times over the next 24 months. By the time we get to summer 2011 I expect there to be a serious shortage of larger family sized vehilces, and a lot of smaller cheaper cars. As such I expect cars like 3/5 series, C/E class to be in demand.

I also think the pickup market might struggle, Nissan, Toyota and Mitsibushi have sold boat loads in the last 2 years. Starting to see a lot of cheap navaras and L200s around. Started to see Navaras dipping under £10k in the last couple of months. We spent £26k on one, brand new... eek.