Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Focus ST - They really are awesome machines

Search this Thread

Old 23 February 2009, 11:52 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus ST - They really are awesome machines

BOB T. and I were out yesterday in the Yorkshire Dales with the Focus ST owners club, taking in a 140 mile route from Kildwick near to Keighley and up around Richmond, then back down through Hawes and the Ribblehead Viaduct.

For any of the older Scoobynet members, this is similar to the famous Dales Runs we did back then but in reverse.

We had about 20 ST, a modded Astra VXR and Corsa VXR turbo, Impreza WR1, new Audi RS4 and a new Porsche Cayman S along for the ride.

The initial leg up to Richmind was excellent, although a bit narrow through Kettlewell etc.

Both Bob and I were running the Race+ DS remap as it's a nice point & squirt map for the tight bends etc, and mine has the lowered Eibach kit on.

Contrary to what most people on here think, we had no issues putting power down and the 4WD attendees didn't seem to have any advantage over us

The route back Bob and I did the manic Ribblehead route, which I would say is both the quickest and twistiest route about - even the normal joe public drivers seemed to be going mad, although not sure about the old couple going sideways in there VW Lupo trying to keep up with me!!

It was an excellent run and made me realise how competent the Focus ST is as a car, whether it's modded or not (we had some std ones with us). I ended the drive feeling very happy with the previous 1.5 hour run back from Richmond.

The power is fantastic, the chassis is just awesome allowing endless adjustability - go into a bend too quickly, lift off and the front end just pulls in - not once did I feel like we were going over the limit. Brakes are awesome and lasted all day without issue and the general feeling you get when driving these things quickly is immense. I also had no hint of torque steer, or even understeer.

I did see Bob go swideways a few times though using the lift off oversteer to good advantage.

I would urge everyone to try one out - I know they/FWD have their haters on here, but I got home with the feeling that I'd just driven the most complete car out there at the minute.
Old 23 February 2009, 05:56 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I hope you do another run in the summer.

I'd be up for popping along with you if another Porker would be welcome
Old 23 February 2009, 06:09 PM
bugeyeandy
Scooby Regular

a new Porsche Cayman S
one of my favorite cars at the moment

Porsche Centre Tonbridge : Cayman S Sport Edition Tiptronic

ST's are nice too but not too keen on the styling, all a bit max power
Old 24 February 2009, 11:07 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

zip, we do plenty of runs throughout the year and usually have multiple marques with us as well - next one is 29th March to the Passion Ford meet at Scotch Corner.

All info can be found on focusstoc.com, decent forum as well.
Old 24 February 2009, 11:16 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
zip, we do plenty of runs throughout the year and usually have multiple marques with us as well - next one is 29th March to the Passion Ford meet at Scotch Corner.

All info can be found on focusstoc.com, decent forum as well.
Scotch Corner is just down the road to me. I'll pop along in my Golf GT Sport. Show you ST drivers a thing or 2.

Without going onto the website, what route are you taking? Brough to Middleton-in-teesdale then head north to Alston is a great route.

In fact If that is the route, I'll borrow my old mans R8 for the day.
Old 24 February 2009, 11:44 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I think this is actually a meeting rather than a drive, Fast Ford, Classic Ford and Perf Ford magazines are there etc, but I will be doing a drive from Lancs up through the Dales etc but that is the opposite direction to you so not sure if that will be viable.

You are welcome to meet us in Lancs then drive back up though.

PS I have a Civic diesel (150bhp) which can match the Golf TDI's without issue and the ST makes the Civic look like its going backwards.
Old 24 February 2009, 11:45 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

PS there should be a few RS's there as well.
Old 25 February 2009, 11:08 AM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I saw three Focus ST's driving from Colne towards Cowling, one was black and had vents on the bonnet, the other was dark blue and another black one IIRC. I thought they must be out for a run I imagine they were on there way to the meet up point as it was about 9.30 to 9.45 on the Sunday morning.