Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Tyres ?

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2009, 09:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tyres ?

The wife Galaxy needs some rear tyres and the new fronts fitted by Ford were some no name brand and are made of bakelite, so want to replace all four, Budget crap at £280 for four, no thanks but the choice above that is less cut and dried, do I go for the Fakken/Kumho end of the market at say £350 for four or do I need to spend £450 on Conti's or Michelins ?

Its a 2.0 diesel people carrier so sportiness isn't much of an issue, but safety and grip are, the current fronts will spin in third in the wet, thats not a measure of the massive power of the Ford 2.0 tdci, just **** tyres, my Fiat Coupe came on "Nankang's" (should have run alarm bells about the quality of the rest of the maintenance) and going from them to Contis transformed it, gave it some grip in the wet.

My Saab will need a couple as well so again, Kumho's/Falken's or something more expensive ?
Old 30 January 2009, 09:27 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I never skimp on tyres. Always buy the best you can afford, the additional peace of mind would be worth it.
Old 30 January 2009, 09:28 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
safety and grip are,
That's my view as well, have never bought a "budget" tyre and never will.
My favourite is the Goodyear GSD3, regular award winner and I've been using them on all cars since my coupe days. Terrific in the wet.

And tread pattern is cool too
Old 30 January 2009, 10:57 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I've had Contis a few times, the ST came with them. I don't think they're that good, wouldn't have them again. They didn't last long either.

My fave at the mo are Dunlop Sport 01
Old 30 January 2009, 11:30 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Some budget brands are cr@p, but the likes of Fulda (actually Goodyear), Hankook, Toyo, Federal, Khumo and Falken are all very good tires at any price. The fact that they are cheap is even better. I've just put some Nankang NS2 205/45/16 on for £184 for all four. Previously ran Hankooks with no issues and have used them for many years on various cars along with Fulda. The worst tires I ever had were a set of Michelins which suffered constant slow leaks/punctures even after being reseated on the rim twice and with no obvious damage or foreign objects ever found, and some Yokahama 539's which were lethal in damp conditions and wore out (thankfully) very quickly. If we were talking about a Scoob and the forces they exert on a tire then I'd have no reservation in recommending F1 GSD3 Assy, Vredestein Sessanta, Avon ZZ3, RE070's, Uniroyal Rainsport or Dunlop SP2, but on a people carrier save your money IMHO. Oh, just don't get Wanli's

Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres ::

Tyre reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres

Last edited by corradoboy; 31 January 2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 31 January 2009, 12:59 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance

Don't skimp. And don't go just by brand - all makes include good and bad rubber depending on the model.

I have run a few sets of Goodyear F1 GSD3 and they are very good indeed. My next set will be Michelin Pilot Sport which are widely regarded as perhaps slightly better. They are a popular choice as OEM tyres for top end cars.

Some tyres may be as good (just possibly) and cheaper. Other tyres may be as good, and more expensive, but unlikely. I'm pretty sure that there is nothing better as an all round road tyre than these two.

I was given a set of Uniroyal Rainsport and couldn't wait to get them off. They are sitting in the garage. Fitted Goodyear F1 to restore normal service

Richard.
Old 31 January 2009, 08:41 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Jack,

where are you based - I can get tyres at wholesale price near York. The last time I tyred the 993 it cost £450 for all four Pirelli Ns!
Old 31 January 2009, 09:09 AM
jpor
Scooby Regular

What ever you do don't get Dunlop sports, they too are lethal . Currently running Pirelli P-Zero Neros on the scoob, which are a little noisy on the road. And Uniroyal Rallye 505 Wet tyres on the Daihatsu, which are very good in the dry and good in the wet.

Last edited by jpor; 31 January 2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 31 January 2009, 09:27 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

We've run Dunlops, Avons and Michelins on our Galaxies. Without doubt the Michelins are the best all round. Don't forget that you need reinforced sidewalls or it will fail the MOT
Old 31 January 2009, 12:28 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XRS
We've run Dunlops, Avons and Michelins on our Galaxies. Without doubt the Michelins are the best all round. Don't forget that you need reinforced sidewalls or it will fail the MOT
yes, had a Sharan before and you are right, they need the reinforced tyre.

We bought the car off Ford Direct and it was 10 months old, it had doen 11 thousand, I suppose being a company car, torquey and heavy meant that the fronts were bollocksed so they said they had replaced them, I was pleased about that and we picked it up, over the time we have had it, they were ok over the summer but on cold wet roads very ponderous, its a people carrier, it doesn't get driven fast and has all the electronics but I need a basic level of grip for it all to work, pulling out of junctions even the missus spins the wheels, the roundabouts on the bypass are taken slowly as otherwise it pushes the front end wide so they need to go, they are called "Double Star" and are rubbish. Rears are Goodyears and are not illegal but I dont run them to that point.
Old 31 January 2009, 02:24 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
pulling out of junctions even the missus spins the wheels, the roundabouts on the bypass are taken slowly as otherwise it pushes the front end wide
You obviously want a Focus RS. They have magical powers which overcome the laws of physics that normally aflict all FWD cars. Apparently

More seriously, I know just what you're saying and good tryes will go a long way towards fixing that. But the real point is that you've got as much grip as possible when you have to hit the brakes hard, or swerve unexpectedly. How many accidents are caused when folks simply run out of grip in an emergency? Well, most accidents actually.

I really don't understand why people say, Oh I haven't got a good car and I only drive it to work and the supermarket, it isn't very fast so I don't need good tyres. What they're actually saying is I'm a tight git and am prepared to sacrifice safety in an emergency, just to save twenty quid.

It's utterly stupid. What's the difference in price between a set of good tyres that will keep you as safe as possible and drive nicely for many thousands of miles, and a rubbish set of dangerous ones? A tank of petrol, no more than.

It makes me angry. Sorry

Richard.
Old 31 January 2009, 03:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Yes, I agree but its more than just spending money, certain tyres will suit one car but not another, some expensive brands just arent that good, i had some Avons (CR 883 I think) on a Golf GTI Mk2 and they were dangerously crap yet I had some Fulda's on a Volvo T5 that were great. I think I need to spend £100 a corner.

It is worrying that some of these tyres are available and legal, the "Double Stars" just aren't good enough, also, the rears on my Saab are due for replacement, again still probably 3 mm of tread, so legal but I have had the back come out on it, quite a surprise at 50 mph in a FWD car, the electronics sorted it before my input in terms of steering into the skid but again, it shows how little grip some cars have, cheap, bald tyres.

Would like to see some actual comparisons, Autocar did one this week on a Golf and it bears out whats been said on here, think we will be paying the extra.
Old 31 January 2009, 04:08 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Id suggest Falken 912s
Old 31 January 2009, 06:13 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Wasn't getting at you at all Jacko. Sorry if it came across that way.

Google tyre tests - there are lots of them about.

Richard.
Old 31 January 2009, 06:16 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Or click on the link I posted above....

Tyre reviews - tyre reviews, ratings and road tests for all car, bike and trackday performance tyres

In order
Old 31 January 2009, 07:29 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hoppy
Wasn't getting at you at all Jacko. Sorry if it came across that way.

Google tyre tests - there are lots of them about.

Richard.
Not at all mate !

Was just kind of agreeing and letting you now I was aware of the requirement, sometimes people need telling stuff, I appreciate the fact that that you were concerned enough to post !
Old 01 February 2009, 01:27 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy

Sorry CB, yes. While the methodolgy of the main test here appears to be fundamentally flawed IMHO, I wouldn't doubt the findings published by Evo magazine, and Autocar which are also quoted. Here are their conclusions:

Autocar 2007
1) Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
2) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
3) Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
4) Continental Contisport Contact 3
5) Pirelli PZero Nero / Rosso

Evo 2007
1) Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric
2) Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
3) Continental Contisport Contact 3
4) Bridgestone Potenza RE050-A
5) Michelin Pilot Sport PS2
6) Pirelli PZero Nero
7) Kumho Ecsta STP KU31
8) Dunlop Sport Maxx
9) Yokohama S.Drive

And here's a quote from the Autocar 2009 budget tyre test. As they say, "The results are shocking":

"Autocar's latest tyre test reports on budget tyres - and how they perform compared to a premium Continental. Unsurprisingly, they don't compare well. The test focuses on wet weather handling and tests five of the leading budget brands: GT Radial, Linglong, Nankang, Triangle and Wanli.

"The magazine tested wet handling and braking, dry handling and braking and aquaplaning, plus a high-speed test at the Contidrom test centre in Hannover. Senior tester Jamie Corstorphine summed up with: “We expected the bargain tyres in this test to fall short of the Continental, but we were not prepared for just how poorly some performed.”

"The results are shocking. To get the full test results you'll need to buy autocar this month, but the results from the wet braking speak for themselves:
Continental: 31.7 metres
Nankang: 33.8 metres
GT Radial: 35.8 metres
Wanli, Triangle and Linglongs: 40.2 metres

The Linglong equipped VW Golf Autocar used for its tests was still doing 27.8mph at the point where it had stopped on the Continentals. Overall the Continentals easily won, scoring top marks in all but one test. A consistent performance earned the GT Radials second place, but a wet lap time 3.4sec adrift of the Continentals indicated just how far even it falls short.

"Given the average rain fall in the UK, it's well worth thinking twice before fitting super-budget tyres on your vehicle. If you save £75 fitting 4 budget tyres you only save 0.05 pence a mile over a 12,000 mile life of the tyre. With the risk of an expensive insurance excess and loaded premium for the next 5 years, not to mention what could happen in a worse case scenario, is it really worth it?

Old 01 February 2009, 02:10 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Good on-line prices here. Get them delivered to your local depot and with fitting included

BlackCircles UK Tyres Online: Discount Car Tyres | Blackcircles.com
Tyre Xpress Low Cost Tyres - Online Tyres for Cars, 4 * 4's, All Makes with local tyre fitting stations

Richard.
Old 01 February 2009, 10:33 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Good on-line prices here. Get them delivered to your local depot and with fitting included

BlackCircles UK Tyres Online: Discount Car Tyres | Blackcircles.com
Tyre Xpress Low Cost Tyres - Online Tyres for Cars, 4 * 4's, All Makes with local tyre fitting stations

Richard.
Both of these seem mega expensive for Goodyear Eagle F1's - £100 each tyre first one, £116 second place per tyre fully fitted

I just paid £86 fully fitted !!!
Old 01 February 2009, 11:16 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
Both of these seem mega expensive for Goodyear Eagle F1's - £100 each tyre first one, £116 second place per tyre fully fitted

I just paid £86 fully fitted !!!
That's an amazing price Which kind of begs the question, what exactly did you get, and where from!!!

If they've got any in my size, I have them now and keep them until I need them

Richard.

Last edited by Hoppy; 01 February 2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01 February 2009, 04:26 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

That's an amazing price Which kind of begs the question, what exactly did you get, and where from!!!

If they've got any in my size, I have them now and keep them until I need them

Richard.
I always buy my tyres from Tyres Northampton even though I now live in London I popped in there when passing and they had F1's at this price.

Was worth the 15 min detour as they pointed out that two of my existing tyres had been run when flat (prev owner)and the sidewalls were showing some damage.

tyre fitting is one of Tyres Northamptons specialities. As a tyre fitter we can also compare tyre prices and offer the following services. Tyre sales uk, tyre prices uk, alloy wheels, alloy wheels, alloy wheels company, alloy wheels supplier, alloy w
Old 01 February 2009, 05:08 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

LOL had a pair on Wanli's thought lots of tread was better than a worn Bridgestone WRONG !

Anyone want a pair 225/45/17 £10 to collect !

dunx

P.S. Like a couple of "Northampton's" comments, "a tyre with less than 1.6 mm will take longer to stop".... It's already illegal !

"And full geometry check is essential ever 3 months !"

Last edited by dunx; 01 February 2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01 February 2009, 05:45 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You only need visible tread over part of the tyre. That aside, it is a bit of a 'no sh*t Sherlock!' sort of remark...
Old 01 February 2009, 06:30 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Wanli's after 9 laps (10 miles).....

Legal requirement is 1.6mm in the centre 3/4 of the tread, and visible tread to the remaining outer edge and around the entire circumference.
Old 01 February 2009, 06:38 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

Falken are good, look on Camskills website for super deals
Old 01 February 2009, 07:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think whatever quoted you on Continentals was overpriced:

They should be quite a chunk cheaper than Michelins (my choice BTW ) in any form. Usually they are cheaper than the comparable Good-Years, unless its a weird size

Continentals would be my second choice, but IMO its pretty even between Contis and Good Years, with Dunlop and Bridgestone not far behind. With Pirelli and Yokohama dragging (or sliding ) round at the back, then followed by the no-name brands.

(btw, this my opinion based on wet/cold performance, where it matters IMO).

I really will have to try some Vredesteins one day though when I find some stocked at a fair price.
Old 01 February 2009, 07:52 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I really will have to try some Vredesteins one day though when I find some stocked at a fair price.
I had a pair of Vredesteins on the front of my legacy and they where very good in both wet and dry. You could actually "feel" them gripping the road.

Mind you I had hankook's on prior and they weren't very good.

Last edited by what would scooby do; 01 February 2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01 February 2009, 10:45 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
I always buy my tyres from Tyres Northampton...
Me too! 0800 294 6558. Got my last few sets from them. And they know Scoobs v well from their track day support

With Goodyear F1 at that price, I'll give Mark a call and see what he can do for me.

Richard.

PS Excellent service and great coffee. Halfords next door if you get bored.
Old 03 February 2009, 07:00 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Jacko, post up your tyre size/ load rating - I'd wager you can get a decent branded tyre for £280. As others have said, Camskill is the place to go, the wife's car is running GSD3's - £260 for 4

Quick Reply: Tyres ?