Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Corsa Power Steering query

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2008, 09:44 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Corsa Power Steering query

My wife has a T-reg (1998) corsa and steering is occaisionally heavy. I suspect this might be the power steering can't see a power steering fluid reservoir under the bonnet to check the ps fluid level. Does it have normal power steering or electric power steering?

Last edited by Jonnys3; 19 December 2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 19 December 2008, 10:13 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speed sensitive steering? Does the heaviness only happen at certain speeds?

Also, do you have a sports button on the dash, as I think that firms up the steering.
Old 19 December 2008, 10:30 PM
loppy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jonnys3
My wife has a T-reg (1998) corsa and steering is occaisionally heavy. I suspect this might be the power steering can't see a power steering fluid reservoir under the bonnet to check the ps fluid level. Does it have normal power steering or electric power steering?
hi mate
think you will find the reservoir on the bulk head under the steering rack on the right hand side although if the pump isnt noisy then doubt it will be low, have you check the drive belt??
Old 19 December 2008, 10:52 PM
All Torque
Scooby Regular

Electric power steering on these and the rack is prone to failure and its a PITA of a job to do even for an experienced mechanic.
Old 20 December 2008, 09:29 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
do you have a sports button on the dash
She wishes, but then she wants a scooby too .

It's a basic 1.7 diesel. The car isn't making any noise or juddering on steering. and it's not at any specific speed, it's just overall. The steering has only started to feel slightly heavier after a new alternator was fitted at the local garage the other day (the battery died twice before it went to the garage and apparently the alternator wasn't recharging the battery, just draining it). Could fitting the new alternator have affected the response at all? I took it out last night and it drives fine and steers fine but it does seem slightly heavier than before it went in.

It might be the case that we're just being paranoid cos if you were to drive the car now without knowing what it felt like beforehand it probably wouldn't be considered a problem but you known how it is when you learn how a car feels and then suddenly it feels slightly different.

Last edited by Jonnys3; 20 December 2008 at 09:36 AM.
Old 21 December 2008, 11:13 AM
Nido
Scooby Regular

Probably a stupid question, but have you checked the tyre pressures are correct?
Old 22 December 2008, 09:10 AM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nido
Probably a stupid question, but have you checked the tyre pressures are correct?
At the time of posting, no, as the car drove perfect before the alternator incident (which has now proved to be purely coincidental), but you've got it - it would appear the front nearside tyre has a slow puncture. I came to the car yesterday morning after it had been sat on the drive for 36hrs after posting and hey presto, the tyre was considerably deflated. Inflated it yesterday and it drove like normal. Just need to get it repaired/replaced.

Thanks to all for your help. Much appreciated!

Last edited by Jonnys3; 22 December 2008 at 09:12 AM.