Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Daihatsu Charade GTti

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2002, 04:46 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've decided to get one of these as a run about after being out in a couple. What a wonderful engine note, nearly as good as a Scooby.

Has anyone had one of these and can point me in the direction of a good garage that knows anything about these.

Also now looking for a car to buy so if anyone knows of one being sold let me know please.

Thanks

AllanB
Old 10 February 2002, 11:01 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had one for 3 years - all that went wrong was a worn rear shock and had to replace clutch.

only things to look for are service history, smokey engine when booting it.

cracking performance car for the money.

(for those not in the know: 0-60 7.7, 993cc 100BHP, twin cam 12 valve (3 cyls), turbo)

optional extras were electric windows and central locking, most come with electric mirrors/roof and alloys.

oh and all have a seam about 2/3rd's of the way along sill - been accused of my old one being a cut and shut when i sold it!

Old 11 February 2002, 08:45 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I had one of these years ago - absolutely fantastic. Engine note sounded like a 911 and almost went like one. Worn turbos are the main problem to look for, but they are rare cars so not easy to find a good one.
Old 11 February 2002, 02:11 PM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

AllanB

Tim Stiles (TSR - VW tuner) will know them; he had the ex. Andy Dawson (I believe) monster some time ago.

Cheers
Old 11 February 2002, 03:09 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Thumbs up

I had one of these for 18 months before I got the scoob. Never let me down once, I loved that quirky little car!

Mine had a BBR chip in which gave it 125 bhp or therabouts - 150+ bhp/ton!

handling was nothing short of useless though - too much body roll, understeer city then alarmingly snappy lift off oversteer, all in the same corner! Scary stuff I can tell you! took the car to TDI in Essex and had springs and dampers uprated, did the trick but they are expensive....

The car is utterly reliable as long as its serviced properly, mine was done at Kinghams in Croydon.

Things I didn't like? those seats, they are a joke! no lateral support at all. Also the body panels are thinner than the imprezas a feat of engineering I'd say. Interior was very 80s Japanese Oh and the handling....

3 cylinder, 12 valve, turbocharged, all ally engine giving 100bhp/litre in 1988! Fantastic car with bags of character. very rare nowadays.

Justin
Old 11 February 2002, 07:49 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the feedback guys. Any of you other owners have problem with the handling ?

I was not too impressed with the steering that felt a bit vague. Maybe it needs new track rod ends and bushes.

AllanB
Old 12 February 2002, 11:36 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton
Allan

when the first GTti's came over the supsension was very harsh, it skipped and jumped over the mearest of bumps in the road and was very nervous when pushing it, not very confidence inspiring at all. In 1990/91 (I can't remember exactly when) the suspension was revised for British roads - read softer all round. Now the car rolled and pitched into bends but felt more stable. Mine came with yokohama tyres that were very soft and grippy in the dry (useless in the wet) but the sidewalls were not very stiff and added to the roll into the bends. My advice is to get as stiffer tyres as pos for the latter cars, not so stiff for the former - all IMO

There is a small following for this car on the net but the URLs escape me, its worth a go on a search engine...

Good luck

Justin

Old 13 February 2002, 07:31 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Thats good info. Thanks guys. Did anyone find a good garage to service these apart from TSR ?

AllanB
Old 13 February 2002, 10:55 PM
nigel s
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had one of these years ago, no one new what it was or it's performance. I had a reputation in it for upsetting much more powerfull cars inc Porc 944 & Supra 3ltr. Managed to out accelerate a R5 GT Turbo/RS Turbo from the lights, the odd flame out evan when standard. A Friend also bought one and added a SS zorst which made 120bhp at a RR. Car pulled 130 3 up (private track). The most fun car I ever bought. I think it was the most powerful1 1ltr production car in the world. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edited by nigel s - 2/14/2002 8:35:18 AM]
Old 14 February 2002, 09:12 AM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

I agree with what has been said about 125 bhp being possible. I also remember Car & Car conversions doing at least two articles on modified Gttis. Suspension & brakes came in for particular attention.

Several were used for rallying, and quite successfully I think, so there ought to be a reasonable degree of knowledge out there if you can find the right people.