Focus ST owners

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2008, 01:23 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus ST owners

What are your real world mpg figures?

After recieving some bad news yesterday regarding my new Scirocco order. I was meant to collect it late Sept/early October, but was informed it hasn't even begun to be built yet

Currently hiring a car since selling my Scoob, but if the Scirocco isn't going to materialise for another couple months, I'm going to pull out of the deal.

Been raking my brains as to what to buy. Will have to be second hand now, as I can't wait for a new car to be ordered, but no nore than a year old. The only car that springs to mind is the Focus ST.

Bit worried about the mpg figures though. Aren't they a bit thirsty? Was getting 23mpg out of my Scoob, but don't want to go that low again. Not for a while anyway.

The obvious choice for me for fuel economy was either a Golf 170 TDI GT Sport or a A3 170 TDI S-Line. However this being the second VW dealer that has let me down regarding delivery dates, the VAG range of cars has left a sour taste in my mouth.

Local dealer has about 10 ST3's in, so a deal could be done. Looking at not a penny more than £14k.

After all this, I wish I'd just kept the Scoob now.
Old 17 September 2008, 01:38 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

We have a '57 reg ST2 and on our recent trip to Germany we averaged around 25 - 26 mpg which was a combination of motorway, back roads and autobahn blasting. On on average round trip of 400 miles (mostly A1 and back) cruising between 80 and 90 mph I average between 28 to 29 mpg. Around town the figure is lower.

The ST has been remapped and is only ever filled up with Super. It's running at approx 270bhp tops and we both drive it hard.

Interestingly in Germany we were with friends in an STi 08 and there was nothing in it for speed between the two. I drive both an STi 08 and the ST and much prefer the ST, the chassis on it is fantastic and the handling is awesome. It's a great car, my favourite ever

Every time either oner of us drives it we both end up saying how much we love it If you want to go for a drive I'd be happy to meet you half way or something, we're near Skipton

Oh and make sure you add an exhaust, ours pops, bangs and burbles but isn't stupidly loud

Sal
Old 17 September 2008, 01:41 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

When I give it some beans on local drives, i.e. when I nip out in it down to the bank, town or whatever and end up coming back the long way home, I realistically get 19-22mpg, approx 180-220 miles per tank (£50) but that's using the full rev range a 1.2 bar boost when accelerating.

But, we took it out with the inlaws at the weekend round Manc and Macclesfield, mixed driving some motorway, some A/B roads and quite a few full throttle blasts and it was changing between 26-28mpg.

If you drive sensibly they can be OK, but I tend to hammer the thing whenever I use it in terms of acceleration - you just cant help it once you have a remap done, its like a drug!!
Old 17 September 2008, 01:44 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
If you drive sensibly they can be OK, but I tend to hammer the thing whenever I use it in terms of acceleration - you just cant help it once you have a remap done, its like a drug!!
So so true
Old 17 September 2008, 02:26 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Not exactly the same car, but i have had x3 Volvo 850 T5's and 1 P1 V70R - most of them were chip tuned and it is near impossible to avoid opening the taps and enjoying that glorious 5 pot..........

I managed 18-23 under 'normal' driving conditions, and on super UL. 30+ is possible with a light foot on a run
Old 17 September 2008, 02:53 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Scoobychick & Dreamweaver.

What were you getting mpg before remap?
Not bothered about remapping a FWD car. If I wanted more power from a Focus, I'd order the new RS.

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
If you want to go for a drive I'd be happy to meet you half way or something, we're near Skipton

Sal
I'll meet up to go for a ride on.............. with you I mean.
Old 17 September 2008, 03:39 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

We said the same thing about the remapping. Then it kind of just happened and my god, has it made a difference

Trust me when I say this drives like no other front wheel drive car that I've driven. There is no torque steer and it handles beautifully

We're going to be up near Pickering for the Trackrod rally so could do something then? I'll let Bob take you out, I'd just frighten you
Old 17 September 2008, 03:40 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

MPG was similar in answer to your question

I think
Old 17 September 2008, 04:26 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
MPG was similar in answer to your question

I think
OK, thanks.

Just been filling in the interest form for the new RS. Might not hurt to hand it in.

Always been a Fast Ford fan. Wanted the new RS soo much. FWD & 300bhp put me right off though. But if this Scirocco goes t1ts up I can't think of anything I genuinely want apart from the RS. A Second hand ST will be a compromise. Think if I got the ST, I'd start wishing I'd just got the RS instead.

RS might be £25-27k though There is a Credit Crunch on at the moment.

Decisions decisions.
Old 17 September 2008, 05:09 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I get around 21 mpg on my DSCi map from Dreamscience - around 270bhp and 330lb/ft (similar to the Race+ I believe). Before I had the remap it was about 23. A run sees about 27ish mpg.

Main driving for me is commute mix of A roads, B roads and Dual Carriageway......
Old 17 September 2008, 08:38 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
I get around 21 mpg on my DSCi map from Dreamscience - around 270bhp and 330lb/ft (similar to the Race+ I believe). Before I had the remap it was about 23. A run sees about 27ish mpg.

Main driving for me is commute mix of A roads, B roads and Dual Carriageway......
Thanks. 23mpg before remap? Sound just a thirsty as my 300BHP Scoob.

Called in at dealer tonight. No second hand ST3's in. Ford website said they did.

Anyway, they do have a brand new Blue ST2 in the showroom. Priced at £19,545.

Might offer £17k, see what they say. Does that sound about right, or have people got better deals? What can I hope to get?

Obviously i hope the Scirocco deal goes through. Dealer has till this Friday to tell me what is happening. Will buy the ST on Saturday if no go with VW.

Also. ST2's only have 1 cd slot. Can a 6 stack easily be added?
Old 17 September 2008, 09:31 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Saab is 250 bhp and does about 23, my old T5 did about the same, My FIat Coupe was a bit better at 25 but all 2.0 turbos are going to be similar, 18 if being stupid, average 20 - 25 and 30 is being careful, possibly better if doing 56 with a wind behind you.
Old 17 September 2008, 10:52 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

My mate had an ST and let me have a drive for 2 hours when we went camping. On a 4 hour drive doing 80mph on the speedo we averaged 23mpg which I thought was poor. He's just swapped it for a VXR astra and he reckons on the same sort of run he get 30mpg. Had a drive of the vxr and I must admit it's alot more fun to drive the turbo gives a much bigger kick.
Old 18 September 2008, 11:49 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Yeah 23-25 tops before the remap, you do find yourself hoofing it everywhere though to listen to the 5pot! Might do a little better if you go easy....

Seen an ST3 brand new for 18850 so you might get interest in an ST2 at around £17k.

As for the Astra - have you seen the interior? lol Not to mention the glowing review on Fifth Gear (not!) where the bog standard 5 door Focus (heavier than the 3 door) beat the Nurburgring VXR with 30bhp more round the track (can of worms opened lmao).
Old 18 September 2008, 11:58 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Ford unit tends to have one slot but take 6 CD's unless you checked it was only a single CD player.

Parents TDCi Mondeo is the same. you just keep feeding it CDs

5t.
Old 18 September 2008, 01:25 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

IIRC the 6 CD unit is only stock in the ST3, might be an option on an ST2 tho.....
Old 18 September 2008, 01:47 PM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyJawa
Yeah 23-25 tops before the remap, you do find yourself hoofing it everywhere though to listen to the 5pot! Might do a little better if you go easy....

Seen an ST3 brand new for 18850 so you might get interest in an ST2 at around £17k.

As for the Astra - have you seen the interior? lol Not to mention the glowing review on Fifth Gear (not!) where the bog standard 5 door Focus (heavier than the 3 door) beat the Nurburgring VXR with 30bhp more round the track (can of worms opened lmao).

I thought the interior was ok but I drive an impreza wrx to I can't say anything. If you wanna listen to 5th gear when making a decision on what car to get that's upto you.
Old 18 September 2008, 02:34 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Astra VXR is crap compared to the ST, although I understand why people wouldn't be that impressed with a std ST, I know I wasn't at first as it does take a while for the turbo to kick in. Not just 5th Gear that slate the Astra over the ST either, check any review out.

But get the absolutely mandatory remap and its like a different car with a whack of power from 2000rpm, it feels every way as quick and grippy as any Evo, P1 etc that I have driven, and I've driven lots!!

Ignore the worry about FWD, it really is a new animal these days.
Old 18 September 2008, 04:05 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

You might want to try here.

Focus - 2008, ST 500 (57 Reg), 2.5, 3 Door. at Motors Coalville Ford Car Sales
Old 18 September 2008, 04:12 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

If you decide to go for the ST3 be aware that it only has four seats due to having leather Recaros front and rear and as such you will only be allowed to carry four persons in it legally.
Old 18 September 2008, 09:23 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
Hmmm, that looks quite a good deal. Saw an ST500 just the other week. They do look quite good, and at that price........ If I can get it starting with £14,***

Might have to take the strips off though
Old 18 September 2008, 09:28 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

I would have thought another £500 off that price wouldn't be hard.
I picked up a local free Autotrader type mag the other day and this company had about 15 ST's of varying spec listed. Mostly delivery mileage, at that sort of price.
Old 18 September 2008, 09:35 PM
beal
Scooby Regular

I was looking at the ST's a few months ago and saw one private, a 57 plate st-2 with 6k for £12000!! now thats cheap.
Old 18 September 2008, 09:41 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Also bear in mind that the 57 plate onwards cars have cool red dash and dial lights not the green of the previous models. Plus they have the black headlamp surrounds

Also down in the footwell you will find the light fittings but no bulbs for footwell lights. Just pop some bulbs in and away you go

On and check out the red submarine lights up by the front roof interior lights, woooo...
Old 18 September 2008, 09:45 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

I drove one and hated it. Little power and torque steered far too much. I then drove a 265bhp MK5 GTI and that had no such problems. There are a lot of MK5 30th eds around so go try one of those first. The ST will disappoint.
Old 18 September 2008, 11:21 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

You must've driven a wrong un then because mine has never torque steered at all!!

I do agree they feel underpowered in std trim though.

As for Golf's, if you like the boy band image and higher price then go for it. I prefer the Kev image of the ST myself not to mention the much better chassis and higher power when remapped

Oh, and you just cannot beat the engine note!! I will have my ST for many many years.
Old 19 September 2008, 09:22 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
As for Golf's, if you like the boy band image and higher price then go for it. I prefer the Kev image of the ST myself not to mention the marginally better chassis and higher power when remapped
Edited for accuracy
Old 19 September 2008, 09:35 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ford Focus 2.5 ST Bridgend, Blue
Old 21 September 2008, 08:46 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blue Dragoon
Thats expensive for an ST2! (cloth seats) My blue ST3 was 11,990 back in June
Old 21 September 2008, 09:02 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Had a blast back from deepest Cornwall this afternoon in my "boy band Golf" - speeds of, oh at least 65 and still got just under 30mpg. The volvo would no doubt have had to stop for more fuel and a decent interior if it was one of those 500 things

Quick Reply: Focus ST owners