Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Time for something a bit more sensible...

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2008, 07:31 PM
W R X
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for something a bit more sensible...

Alright folks.

My wife and I have just bought a Newfoundland pup and are looking to sell part\ex the Scoob for something a bit more practical (i.e something that will accomodate a 14stone slobbering hairy monster - and thats just the mrs boom boom ) . Ive already tried to have the argument of getting a wagon but when I told the mrs that the insurance and running costs will still be sky high it didnt go down too well.

Ive currently got an 02 Prodrive Style STI on 30k miles in mint condition so would be looking at approx 7-9k to spend on the next motor. Cars ive been looking at on Auto trader have been Audi A4 Avant, BMW 3 series estate and land rover discoveries. Thats about it!

Been on SN on and off for 10 years and never thought I would be posting asking for info on an estate

Any ideas or thoughts on what to go for?

Cheers in advance.
Old 07 September 2008, 08:15 PM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by W R X
Alright folks.

My wife and I have just bought a Newfoundland pup and are looking to sell part\ex the Scoob for something a bit more practical (i.e something that will accomodate a 14stone slobbering hairy monster - and thats just the mrs boom boom ) . Ive already tried to have the argument of getting a wagon but when I told the mrs that the insurance and running costs will still be sky high it didnt go down too well.

Ive currently got an 02 Prodrive Style STI on 30k miles in mint condition so would be looking at approx 7-9k to spend on the next motor. Cars ive been looking at on Auto trader have been Audi A4 Avant, BMW 3 series estate and land rover discoveries. Thats about it!

Been on SN on and off for 10 years and never thought I would be posting asking for info on an estate

Any ideas or thoughts on what to go for?

Cheers in advance.
I cant believe your selling your car because of a dog!!! each to there own but I think your mad. We have a medium to large size dog and if it goes in the car it sits in the passenger footwell and never goes on the seats, but to be honest he doesn't go in the car that much anyway.Dont sell it you will regret it bigtime .

Dougie
Old 07 September 2008, 08:32 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

4,902 estates on autotrader that are less than 5 years old, less than 40000 miles and between 7k and 9k

What about a volvo V70 D5?

Auto Trader UK - VOLVO V70 2.4 D5 S 5dr Auto (29000 miles)
Old 07 September 2008, 09:24 PM
W R X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dougwrx
I cant believe your selling your car because of a dog!!! each to there own but I think your mad. We have a medium to large size dog and if it goes in the car it sits in the passenger footwell and never goes on the seats, but to be honest he doesn't go in the car that much anyway.Dont sell it you will regret it bigtime .

Dougie
Newfoundland in the passenger footwell!?! It's not medium or large...its GIANT!

Pop this in your footwell

In fairness the dogs not the only reason just a factor. I use the scoob once every couple of weeks and like I say, time to go for something more sensible. Been driving Scoobs for many many years now. My STI's last service a few months back with new tyres all round was 1300 quid. Just cant really justify it.

(The non sensible option is to sell the scoob, get a cheaper run around estate and a Gixxer 750. Now thats mad )
Old 07 September 2008, 09:25 PM
W R X
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HankScorpio
4,902 estates on autotrader that are less than 5 years old, less than 40000 miles and between 7k and 9k

What about a volvo V70 D5?

Auto Trader UK - VOLVO V70 2.4 D5 S 5dr Auto (29000 miles)
Cheers hank. Plenty out there isnt there. Just wondered if anyone on here had made the switch.
Old 08 September 2008, 06:13 AM
dougwrx
Scooby Regular

Newfoundland in the passenger footwell!?! It's not medium or large...its GIANT!

Pop this in your footwell

In fairness the dogs not the only reason just a factor. I use the scoob once every couple of weeks and like I say, time to go for something more sensible. Been driving Scoobs for many many years now. My STI's last service a few months back with new tyres all round was 1300 quid. Just cant really justify it.

(The non sensible option is to sell the scoob, get a cheaper run around estate and a Gixxer 750. Now thats mad )
Lol I see what you mean

Dougie
Old 08 September 2008, 01:41 PM
Luther
Scooby Regular

Volvo V70R.....
Old 08 September 2008, 03:51 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Cheers hank. Plenty out there isnt there. Just wondered if anyone on here had made the switch.
I've been driving an XC70 D5 for the last 4 years - gave up PTMW! for it 165,000 miles and still going strong. Fully expect to keep it for a few years yet. Condition & paint-work is pretty much like new.

It is practical with a capital P. Vast interior space, 40+MPG, mega-comfortable, perfectly capable 4x4 without looking like a hummer wannabe (snow, fields like most 4x4s get used for), tows my RA fine & reliable as anything.

Last few weeks it has commuted, cruised to Ireland & back with all the family, been loaded up with logs, towed a sailing boat, dumped a washing machine in the back & basically abused on & off road.

Bonus (from your POV) is that it comes with an in-built steel dog-guard & self-leveling suspension

Auto Trader UK - VOLVO XC70 2.4 D5 SE Lux 5dr Diesel Estate=

That's a good example winter pack, sat-nav, comms pac (phone), tv etc

My father-in-law has one as well which he uses to drive round his farm instead of the pickup.

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 08 September 2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08 September 2008, 03:58 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Sis has got a Newfoundland and is looking for a defender.

Partly though on the basis they want to do some water trials with the dog.

Deffo think a car with no carpet would be best!!(lovely dog but big is an understatement!)
Old 08 September 2008, 05:43 PM
W R X
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice and comments chaps. Ive got a little while before I take the plunge so can bide my time.

Why do I keep coming back to one of these

Last edited by W R X; 08 September 2008 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08 September 2008, 06:21 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

My wife's aunt and uncle have a newfie and they have an E-class estate for it because the tailgate access is lower and supposedly safer for the dog to get in and out of.
I'd be reluctant to get anything higher than an estate for such a big dog.

Gratuitous pic...

Old 08 September 2008, 06:22 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you got kids ?
Old 08 September 2008, 07:35 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Legacy Spec B - 05 plates for £9k now
or Forester 2.5 XT

Sounds like you could still do with a Subaru. Always choose a car with your heart (as long as it does what you need it to). I once bought a 330d touring with my head not my heart. Sold it a year later.
Old 09 September 2008, 11:30 AM
W R X
Scooby Regular

Thats a cracking looking dog Hank. Cant wait to pick ours up. Not got kids yet so thats not a factor atm.

I know what you mean re head over heart Dave. I Washed the STI yesterday and if I do decide to let it it go its going to be hard to part with it. Especially the market being what it is. Its without doubt the best car ive ever owned. Last thing I want to do is sell it and regret it a couple of months later. Good thing is that there is no mad rush so can take my time.

The other factor is that I love bikes and ever since I sold mine last year have been hankering after another one. A bit of me is thinking that a cheaper practical run around and a tasty sports bike could be the answer. (coming from the man who started the "time for something a bit more sensible" thread )

(Actually, a new RS6, 22B and a Ducati 1096 is the answer..... . )
Old 09 September 2008, 11:45 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

If kids isn't an issue what about something like a Ford Fusion to run about in? Fiesta running gear but basically a van with windows. That way you can have a car that you don't worry about too much and keep a dog free motor for going out with friends etc.

5t.