Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

How do you rate AUDI TT

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2002, 10:59 AM
GAZZ SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Im looking at getting a second hand AUDI TT possibly the roadster !
It will be a left hand drive model they are rather cheap at the minute.
I'm now driving a clio 172 but did have a MY'00 scooby turbo for 18 months.How does it compare if anybody has drove both..

Thanks
Gazza
Old 07 February 2002, 12:57 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

To be honest I really didn't enjoy driving the TT. I'm quite short and found it odd having the dash so high. Steering felt inert and brakes were wooden with no feeling apart from the normal VW spongy action that is like a switch either no effect or fully on. Certainly quite but not that much fun. Was nicer to drive than the S3 though.

Cabin was lovely though and very well put together and makes the Scoob look like something out of the 80s in compartison. Depends what you like, image or a drivers tool.

AllanB
Old 07 February 2002, 01:48 PM
devils_ad69
Scooby Regular

Wink

I believe you get a voucher for a free cut-n-blow dry!
Old 07 February 2002, 02:21 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
havent been in one or driven one myself but I have told that they are not that quick. one of my friends knows someone who has one chipped to 270 bhp and even thats not fast apparently shame because I did like them. were you thinking of the 185 bhp or the 225bhp model?
Old 07 February 2002, 03:20 PM
Paul78
Scooby Regular

You can't get a LHD sports / performance car - or one that you intend to drive hard!!

They are not designed for this - I know, because I looked down the same avenue at a M3 - but tying to overtake etc - Not worth it even if they are 25% less or more !!
Old 07 February 2002, 03:24 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

I have an integrale (in bits at the moment ) and left hand drive is great, especially if you have loads of power because overtaking isn't a problem then. It took me about 5 miles to get used to mine and I love driving it. I would have left hand drive over right hand drive anyday now but I drive a company car so its not an option. You do have to put up with more expensive insurance for a year but its worth it
Old 07 February 2002, 03:46 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Smile

just had the pleasure of reaquainting myself with a quattro/225/LHD...and found all the things i liked and disliked are still there. Visibility was worse than I remebered tho - pushing thru traffic requires some serious head checking of what's around you (something that taller people probably don't have to worry about I guess).

The middle pedal and steering pedal feel is poor, the stability from high speed braking is only just OK IMHO (even with the stability control going ape5hit in the wet). The throws on the box seem a tad longer than I remembered too.

Now, these are all MHO, and I would anticipate growing accustomed to the traits would permit some fairly spirited driving to be enjoyed. The car certainly looks the part.

There is one thing I am pretty convinced of - it ain't near a Scoob in driver involvement. There is something too aloof about the controls - but this again is soemthing one would get used to I guess. The poise of a scoob near the limit is missing too (that natural balance of the low CG and suby awd is not there), but it is not a bad car by any means.

Hope you enjoy whatever you buy. Cheers
Old 07 February 2002, 04:00 PM
golfturbo
Scooby Regular

TT FORUM
http://www.tt-forum.co.uk

Also lots of info about tuning etc....real life experiances of what the 270 bhp and 300 lbs torque re-chip is like as opposed to the "even with 270 bhp its not fast according to a friend of a friend of a friend" type stuff
Old 07 February 2002, 04:19 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Dont get the TT stick with the Clio, get it sorted and you can get near on 200hp out of it with some gas flowing/porting, good induction kit, exhaust and a Unichip.

Now that will be a fugging quick motor.
Old 07 February 2002, 06:20 PM
scooby nutter
Scooby Regular

I think the main thing about owning a Audi TT is Drive like a complete Tw@t,as i found out the other day when one nearly rammed me off the road!
Guess he didnt think my Evo could turn round and catch him up so quick
Old 08 February 2002, 08:38 AM
The RingMaster
Scooby Regular

Audi TT....."nice" car.

But who wants a "nice" car when there are fantastic cars
out there...ROFL !

If you consider yourself a "driver" steer well clear of the TT.

Old 08 February 2002, 09:46 AM
GAZZ SCOOBY
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Thanks for the input guys ..i think im going to put off buying a TT now anyway ..Gunna stick with the clio for a while longer then maybe get something different.......A V6 Clio Maybe ??

Cheers
Gazza
Old 08 February 2002, 12:18 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hmmm.... some rather blinkered views I think!

I am lucky enough to own a 180 TT (company car) and a 94 WRX with a few mods. Firstly, they are totally different cars and I have said this a number of times before! The TT is NO way as quick as the Scoob and it is not as fun to drive/doesn't give the same kind of feedback.

However.... the TT is a joy to drive because it is so smooth, easy to put in 6th on the motorway and cruise in absolute comfort and style! I look forward to the 25 min drive to work every day in the TT cos' I love good design and the TT has it in every detail. The cabin quality is awesome and I actually think the driving position and steering feel is pretty good.

Conclusion : I love them both!

Mossman
Old 10 February 2002, 04:19 PM
CHOPS
Scooby Newbie

THE TT 225 HAS BEEN DYNO TESTED AND ROAD TESTED BOTH TESTS SHOWED THE TT HAS MORE TORQUE AND IN GEAR ACCELERATION AT 70-90 MPH THE TT SHOWED A CLEAN PAIR OF HEELS TO THE SCOOBY.THE TTS ARE WELL BOLTED TOGETHER AND THE SOLIDITY OF THE SHELL IS SOMETHING TO BE RIVALLED.PERFECT ROOM IN THE BACK FOR TWO NYMPHO FEMALE HAIRDRESSERS I THINK.
Old 10 February 2002, 04:38 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

Gazz drive one for yourself and you decide. Its still a nice car , just depends on what you are looking for.

AllanB
Old 10 February 2002, 09:49 PM
FreeT
Scooby Regular

Maybe you should wait and ge tthe new TT with 240-250bhp standard, not to mention the V6 engine, V for very smooth. Still should get an STi7.
Old 11 February 2002, 08:57 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I am surprised the TT community havent attacked in force yet - they usually do. Most of the criticism of the TT is from people who have not driven one and can hardly be called objective. To be honest the 225 bhp did feel reasonably quick, but then it is so much quieter and refined than my Sti, it doesnt give the same impression of speed anyway. The inside was beautifully put together though.
I personally didnt like the letterbox style windscreeen, and found it very claustrophobic driving it. It understeered fairly badly but then I am sure that can be cured easily.

I found I was happier with the raw style of the impreza and the better and faster unmodified performance.
Old 11 February 2002, 10:38 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

How do I rate the TT? Well, its one of mine in a party frock, built for people without the self-confidence to drive a Skoda! Oh and at least 10k more (new)!