Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Honda Civic Type R GT Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2008, 07:38 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda Civic Type R GT Test Drive

Just got back from test driving a Honda Civic Type R GT at Lookers Honda in Nottingham.

They have a choice of three Type R's in stock, all the higher GT spec, two in red and one in black. I took out the Red 57 plate with 800 miles on the clock.

People seem to fall into two camps when it comes to the look of the Civic. Personally, I love it. It may have lots of angles to it but I do think it's an attractive car, it somehow reminds me of a spacecraft inspired vehicle. Obviously as a Type R, it features the red Honda badge on the fromt grille, which is black honeycomb, rather than the enclosed nose of the other Civics.

After seeing plenty of photos on the internet of the cabin and thinking it looked futuristic in a funky way it was time to climb aboard. First impression of the seats were that they are more comfortable than that of what I've been used to when driving an Evo VI. There was enough support and held me in a really comfortable position. The seat adjustments were easy to reach and operate, backwards/forwards movement is controlled by the bar under the seat, the recline is easily accessible to the outside of the seat.

Once having positioned the seat where I was comfortable, it was time to check out the dash. Firstly the dash has a deep, wrap-around feel to it. All controls were easily accessible, the red "Start" button sits on the dash just willing you to fire up the V-TEC that's sitting under the bonnet. I own't bore you with a list of what is included in the GT & non GT versions of the Type R, but just say that everything felt like it was well positioned and easily accessible.

Once having held down the start button to fire her up, the LCD dash illuminates showing all the information you need. Immediately ahead of you is the speedo which glows red on the black background, this dominates the view. Secondary information is displayed in other areas which can be read at ease when necessarry.

On departing the forecourt, I gave the brakes a tap so I knew what to expect from them. I thought I was used to sharp brakes from driving the Evo but these were SHARP!

Pulling onto the road, it was a incredibly short entrance into the traffic of the dual carraigeway. Visibility all around the car was excellent even though I was expecting the view from the rear to be slightly blocked by the in-built rear-wing/window combination. There was no trouble pulling into the traffic which was moving at 50mph and getting up to speed was smooth and efficient.

The six speed box was smooth and easy to change, responding well to up and down shifts no matter what speed I was travelling at, the revs stayed well below the VTEC range but the power and delivery, even in the wet, gave me great confidence in the car.

Once I made my way into Ruddington I had access to the windy roads with little traffic and speed restrictions. I was to do two laps around Ruddington, the first I took steadily, reaching the speed limit, and taking that speed through the bends.

Even though the Civic is only FWD, it handled magnificently around these wet country roads, into the corners, it felt as stable as the Evo. On the second lap of these roads, I gave it a bit more, really pointing the car into the bends and acellerating out to see if I could upset the car. I couldn't. It stayed perfectly poised and didn't even feel as it may wander.

Getting back onto the dual carraigeway gave me the opportunity to really see what the VTEC engine could do from a standing start. I turned left onto the carrageway, straightened up and boot my foot down. The car responded in a smooth manner, I was pleasently surprised by the delivery, and the pace at which the speed picked up without the need for a turbocharger.

It was at this point that I hit the VTECs delivery range. The revs climbed and climbed, I changed gear as quickly as I could and watched the revs continue to climb. The speedo on the dash soon reached 70 . I was completely in awe of the smooth delivery and the way the engine wanted to carry on pulling all the way through the rev range. Due to the speed limit and other traffic I was unable to really see what this lump could really deliver.

On the second lap, I floored the pedal, maybe not a great idea on a wet road, but the car responded well, the wheels span at first, but then the Potenza's grabbed the tarmac and I was off. The seats still felt firm, I wasn't sliding around and I wasn't slung backwards by turbo lag as I would have expected to have done in the 310bhp Evo.

During both laps the ride felt firm on both the carraigeway and the country roads, but not too firm. I was expecting a lumpy ride from potholes etc but this wasn't the case. The suspension absorbed the bumps without affecting the steering, giving me the impression that the Civic could be used and lived with in everyday life.

I loved this car, the ride was excellent, the engine was smooth and easily accessed the power when needed, it felt positive to drive and as if it wouldn't put a foot wrong. Throughout the whole drive I had the biggest smile on my face, I enjoyed this so much more than driving the Evo. If anyone is thinking of looking elsewhere for a performance car now Subaru have introduced that ugly Impreza then I would recommend taking a drive in the Civic.

As for the deal put on the table, I felt that the car was overpriced, and the part ex value they gave me for my car was too low. They were obviously keen to deal as they tried every trick in the book, even upping the offer on my existing vehicle up by an extra £1500, only £500 less than what I would expect to find it retailing at on a forecourt.

Did I deal? No. But I would've taken the car there and then had I not got something else to consider.
Old 22 June 2008, 10:34 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

That's a great review especially coming from an Evo owner.

Must admit I have just bought a 'bread van' CTR as a replacement for my 03 STI and so far I have been amazed at how capable it is. Not as fast as the STI but not that much slower in the real world.

Miss being in Scoob world though hence on the lookout for a good late classic LOL!
Old 22 June 2008, 11:17 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I've owned the previous shape CTR (breadvan model) and absolutely loved it as I mainly kept it as a weekend toy. For me the new shape has lost its appeal in an attempt by Honda to to broaden its market appeal. Still a nice car never the less, but I was more impressed by the Type S GT diesel to be honest as a more sensible everday quick enough / economical car.
Richard
Old 23 June 2008, 01:52 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Scoobywont - What else are you considering ?
Old 23 June 2008, 03:24 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Nothing expensive at the moment. I may just get a cheap diesel dog to run about in as I'm currently only doing about 50 miles per week at the most. Although I'm happy with the petrol Cooper that's on the drive.
Old 23 June 2008, 06:44 PM
firesorter
Scooby Regular

I test drove one recently too, and having had a breadvan as you guys call them i was as impressed, the deal i was offered was great, but deflated scooby prices made me think long and hard.

would i buy? no why? seats are too small, seating postion too high and the breadvan is better, sharper, and purer to the `type r` ethos.
Old 23 June 2008, 06:53 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I test drove one a couple of months ago and was very impressed. I think the other Civics look horrible. But with the type r bits on it looks awesome - especially in red.

The GT is extremely well specced for the price and you would be a fool not to go for it over the standard.

Only thing stopping me getting one is funds at present.

Simon

Trending Topics

Old 23 June 2008, 09:30 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

I had an EPC CTR for a couple of years and they ware fantastic cars. I drove the new one last weekend and it was pretty nice as you say. Very nice to drive and lovely seats. However I did find it a little lacking is umph and I do miss the VTEC cut-over like my old one. That was part of the fun!

I think i'd rather have a Golf GTI but for now I'm keeping the STI and just driving a little easier when I'm on the motorways.

Good review BTW!
Old 24 June 2008, 12:58 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Thanks.

The salesman has been onto me today to try and get a sale, but I've found that I can order a brand new Civic for less than he's trying to get me to pay for the one I drove which has almost a thousand miles on the clock and is on a 57 plate.
Old 24 June 2008, 10:59 PM
Ringpeas
Scooby Regular

Plus that one has been thrashed around a track
Old 25 June 2008, 04:17 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't buy a car that I've thrashed from 1000 revs towards 9000 in first gear

I've given the salesman the price I've seen for a brand new R-GT of £17499 on the road.

He called me back ten minutes later saying he might be able to do me a new one for £17399.
Old 25 June 2008, 05:34 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I wouldn't buy a car that I've thrashed from 1000 revs towards 9000 in first gear

I've given the salesman the price I've seen for a brand new R-GT of £17499 on the road.

He called me back ten minutes later saying he might be able to do me a new one for £17399.
Cool. Hope your going for Red

Simon
Old 25 June 2008, 10:21 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

You can lease them for £235 a month. Thats the way forward
Old 25 June 2008, 11:17 PM
Ved
Scooby Regular

I'd look at getting some sheet protection for the front as the paint is very thin and will be peppered after the first few weeks. Get onto the Civic Type-R Owners Club mate, very good resource.
Old 26 June 2008, 12:29 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I've been on that site for the last year. However I'm not buying one anyway. I just fancied taking it out for a spin.
Old 26 June 2008, 12:00 PM
Anderooo
Scooby Regular

That was an excellent review,

I have to admit I have just traded in my 03 STI for a Golf GTI, and found the same as you. Car perhaps a little over priced and they are offering very low for things like Evo's and Impreza's. Perhaps it is the current fuel situation we are in they feel they can get away with it. Knowing people are struggling to sell such fuel thirsty beasts.

Can't disappointed I didn't go and test drive one now. Sounds very much like my old EP3 one. Which I loved so much, great fun to be out in all the time.
Old 28 June 2008, 02:15 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

The salesman called me again on Friday, obviously more desperate for the sale.

I'm thinking of waiting until they come out on the 59/10 plate or whichever it is that has the facelift. The Top Gear review was on Friday night and Clarkson slated it, but I still think it's great. If they improved the suspension to make it as good as the previous version, I'd drive it again and probably buy it, outright on the spot, cash.
Old 28 June 2008, 02:27 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Nice for you that you liked it. Just about, well let me rephrase that every motoring press review ive read has slated it especially when comparing it to its rivals.

I think the same power output (although with vtec cut over slightly lower in the rpm) is the same as the previous model except they have added 200kg to the weight?

the euro CTR is a joke when compared to the JDM version that you can purchase through litchfield : Litchfield Imports | New & Used Cars from Europe and Japan

The Type R experience gets more and more diluted, I think anyone buying one expecting it to be a great hot hatch are deluded. Although if you want one to go to tescos and back then the leasing deals are very good vaule for money.
Old 29 June 2008, 09:51 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Test drove on yesterday my thoughts......

Superb car,simple as that

The issue with being tall,and a slight issue with line of sight regarding the clock readout was apparent,also took me a while to find a good seating position.....But set off on the test drive through a nice little village with rough slow roads,car was firm,but not a rough ride,out of the village into some nice flowing a-roads,the type r came alive,eating away at the bends in front,no problems with understeer,and very good feedback through the steering

Onto a dual carrageway,a little test of the 0-????? very surprised how the civic got upto high speeds,and the little kick at 5400rpm was super

build quality wise,very good solid well finished,no interior rattles,no cheaper plastics

The seats were very "hugging" no recommended for our larger members

to sum it up,great car......poor exhaust tone....handles very well.......well equiped.....decent price

would i buy one????????

Was going too,but they then turned the whole day on its head by offering me,basically insulting me with the trade in value of my car so lost a customer,a carsupermarket's trade-in figure was £2500 more then a honda main dealer offered so out i walked

yep,superb car,and personally i thought it was leaps and bound's better the the last civic type r

marcus
Old 29 June 2008, 04:51 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob

Was going too,but they then turned the whole day on its head by offering me,basically insulting me with the trade in value of my car so lost a customer,a carsupermarket's trade-in figure was £2500 more then a honda main dealer offered so out i walked
Exactly what they did to me. I turned it down and they immediately offered and extra £1500. Glad you liked it. I'm still tempted but I think I'm going to wait to see what happens when it comes round to facelift time.
Old 30 June 2008, 04:31 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

What trade in values have they been placing on your cars?
Old 30 June 2008, 04:46 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster

you do not want to know buddy,it was an insult

marcus
Old 30 June 2008, 10:38 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
I know mine would have been on their forecourt for 2 grand more than they initiallt offered me. It always helps if you look in Glasses Guide before getting the salesman valuation
Old 01 July 2008, 01:46 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

there trade in offer was an insult to be perfectly honest.......

They offered me £13000 for my 07sti against a 57 type r GT with satnav pack at £16495

but they have been on the phone since to tell me that they have had another "underwriter" offer of £14500 and are willing to take £15795 for the civic

my reply was fair enough give me £14500 for the sti,and i will give you £8000 for the civic

cheers marcus
Old 01 July 2008, 07:13 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

I know mine would have been on their forecourt for 2 grand more than they initiallt offered me. It always helps if you look in Glasses Guide before getting the salesman valuation

The guides (even CAP & Glasses) are just guides. Just because they say a car is worth X it doesn`t mean buyers will pay X for it. Unfortunately, CAP & Glasses don`t actually buy cars!

It`s worth what somebody is willing to pay.

Of course the dealer will want to make a profit, do you think they`re in business for the fun of it?
Old 02 July 2008, 02:59 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Volks
The guides (even CAP & Glasses) are just guides. Just because they say a car is worth X it doesn`t mean buyers will pay X for it. Unfortunately, CAP & Glasses don`t actually buy cars!

It`s worth what somebody is willing to pay.

Of course the dealer will want to make a profit, do you think they`re in business for the fun of it?
I know it's a guide But when they know it's worth a lot more than they are offering, and you know it'w worth more, you are hardly going to accept the first offer they make you. If they want a deal, then they should make a decent offer. It's funny how they suddenly up the offer by a significant amount though, showing what they are willing to pay - and still having profit in it Anyway, this thread is about the Type R not how much the steallers try to rob us for
Old 02 July 2008, 03:16 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

TBH still very interested in a type-r,my car is up for sale private,but after doing some serious searching on't web.the type r with sat nav/HFT/19" wheels can be had for around £14000 on an 07/57,so probably look at getting one private

marcus
Old 02 July 2008, 07:03 PM
Volks
Scooby Regular

Anyway, this thread is about the Type R not how much the steallers try to rob us for
It wasn`t me that started bleeting about px valuations..............