Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Saab 9:3 Vector 1.9 150bhp

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2008, 11:09 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saab 9:3 Vector 1.9 150bhp

Does anyone drive one of these ? i'm thinking of chopping the scoob in for one in the future, just wondered what there like.
Old 13 June 2008, 11:18 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

test drive it and then you'll realise what they are about

I've owned a few SAAB's and they are wobbly
Old 13 June 2008, 11:36 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

*awaits JACKO*
Old 14 June 2008, 01:58 AM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Just a Vectra in a slightly different suit aren't they........ if the 150BHP derv engine is the same as the Vauxhall CDTi 150 that comes in the Astra/Vectra then its a great engine IMO, punchy, economical but not clattery like VAG 1.9 engines tend to be.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 14 June 2008, 01:17 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
*awaits JACKO*
LOL !

They are ok, guy at work has just got that very model, he likes it, getting 44 mpg. I get 22 if booting it and doing short journeys, up to 35 if careful on a long run.

The new model isnt Wobbly, the old one was, very. The handling is good, but mine is pretty stiff being an Aero, its not very well done, just hard, not a combination of well judged springing and perfect damping, subtle it isnt, that said it will corner faster than I will. Not the most engaging drive though. Remember it sits on a shortened Vectra platform, its better than a Vectra but its no BMW.

Torque Steer, not an issue, even in mine, my old one could spin up (with 150 bhp) in third in the wet to 80 mph, this one wont unless you are being ham fisted or trying to do it, even then its short lived, thats with the Traction control off, in the dry it just grips which amazes me for a fwd car, I remember some 110 bhp fwd cars that couldnt put the power down, never mind 288 lbs ft in second on a wet road.

Interior looks nice, but quality wise is below par for the class it is supposed to be in, an Audi interior murders it on quality, seats are comfy, plenty of gadgets.

No hatchback, makes it stiffer but less practical.

150 Diesel grunty and reasonable quick, mine is 250 bhp (288 lbs/ft at 2500 rpm) being remapped and it goes quite well, 30 - 70 in just over 5 seconds. The can suffer with blocked breathers which causes poor running.

Build quality, apart from the interior lapses, seems very solid.

Safety, 5 stars, most have ESP, very strong shell as no hatchback opening.

Brakes, mine has the 314mm disks on the front, the brakes are staggering and dont fade.

Looks, ok, its a taste thing but I love the way mine looks, the lower end ones tend to look a bit unfinished,

Prices, Diesel ones are still pricey but cheaper than BMW's and Audis, I think they are more upmarket Vectra than a genuine Premium brand these days.

Reliability, can be a bit iffy, mines been ok, but the key fob sometimes goes mental and wont let me in, swapped it and its been ok, cd plays up when its cold, some have had nightmares but later models (mine is a 2003) say after 2005 are much better, generally they are no worse than anything else.

Mine is better in many ways than my last 150 LPT old shape 9-3 but they have lost something and have become more Vauxhall, very little Saabness left now, it gets diluted out.

Still they arent much dearer than Vectras and look much nicer, I would consider a Mondeo as well if going down the scale or perhaps a 3 series,A4 if you are goign the other way, Saab and Volvo occupy a no mans land between the meat and two veg stuff and the Marks and Spencers ready meal world of premium Audis and stuff.

Last edited by J4CKO; 14 June 2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 14 June 2008, 03:29 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

That's a poor write up J4CKO. I expected better!
Old 14 June 2008, 10:20 PM
BooSH
Scooby Regular

Cheers J4CKO i'm looking at getting an 06/07 model would love the new shape with the strange headlights but carn't stretch the bank balance that far, i'm gonna go up the local Saab dealership in a couple of months and see what i can get p/x for the scoob