Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

iam bored of my boxster 3.2s reccomend me a car

Search this Thread

Old 28 May 2008, 11:56 AM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iam bored of my boxster 3.2s reccomend me a car

hi ppl i bought my boxster 3.2s 53 plate in Jan after owning a 91 plate mx5 1.6i and can honestly say hand on heart i enjoyed driving the mx-5!!!it just handled so well and drove like a go kart!!dont get me wrong the boxster definetley looks the part but it looks better than it drives!!!!! a bit disappointing in terms of performance and driver enjoyment and satisfaction......... feels numb compared to the mx-5.

what else is out there for nearly the same price prob a bit cheaper that will deliver in enjoyment.

iam thinking it doesnt matter how much power its got its how its delivered that makes it fun to drive.iam remembering driving my renault 5gtturbo back in the day lol.
at the moment iam thinking e46 m3, mr2 turbo, 350z not sure as its 287 bhp in a heavy car for that age iam looking at.

its got to look good and pin you to the seat when floored any thoughts?

cheers in advance for your replies
Old 28 May 2008, 12:15 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

If you want go-kart handling etc then the mx-5 was/is great....... I am afraid the few cars you mentioned will fall into the same tar-pit as your Porsche..... none of them have go-kart handling......
Old 28 May 2008, 12:30 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Boxster numb? Yup; That's your typical modern Porsche

Get youself into the drivers seat of a well sorted 70's to 80's vintage non-turbo 911. And feel what Porsches should be like

Feel the road again, shake your teeth out, knacker your arms fighting the potholes and ruts, knacker your clutch foot, get CO poisoning from the leaky heater matrix....and love every minute of it!! (except traffic jams LOL ).

Last edited by Shark Man; 28 May 2008 at 12:33 PM.
Old 28 May 2008, 12:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps buy another MX5 ?

I have seen this before, bigger, faster, more expensive etc doesnt actually guarantee a more rewarding driving experience, witness droves of people driving honking great ugly 4*4's that arent actually that much fun and cost a fortune, they I suppose are different as they arent generally drivers, more people after status as they operate a car.

I am surprised that the Boxster doesnt do it for you, they get a good rep for being a drivers tool, shows how good the MX5 is, sell the Boster privately and buy a brand new MX5.
Old 28 May 2008, 12:50 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.

An Elise or VX220 Turbo if you can live with them. Personally I don't fit being 6 foot 3 or I'd have had an Opel Speedster Turbo long ago.
Old 28 May 2008, 12:56 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Elise/Exige.
Old 28 May 2008, 01:52 PM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

yea its an honest opinion i found the mx-5 very rewarding to drive it went round corners so well shame it didint have the grunt behind it.the porsche just looks good it has the factory optional extra aerokit II and 18"" carrera's.
ive had a shot of the infamous integra type r and the handling in that was in another league but it didint "feel" fast damn!
thinking turbo is where its at for that kick in the back!!!
Old 28 May 2008, 04:21 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

What about a supercharged or turbo mk2 / mk2.5 MX-5 ? New one is not supposed to be as good – too grown up according to the reviews. But most cars will be a disappointment compared to your memory of a mk1 MX5.

Richard
Old 28 May 2008, 04:33 PM
wilffive
Scooby Regular

Agree completely with your comments. Boxster S is an accomplished car but just doesnt feel that special to drive. I didnt buy one for that very reason.

Suggest you try an e46 M3 or a Z4M.

Elise etc only if you're committed (been there done that as well).
Old 28 May 2008, 04:53 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Elise if you want real go-kart handling.

Or how's about a Honda S2000 - like an MX-5 only better - 9000rpm is mental.
Old 28 May 2008, 05:02 PM
markGT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by delcbr
yea its an honest opinion i found the mx-5 very rewarding to drive it went round corners so well shame it didint have the grunt behind it.the porsche just looks good it has the factory optional extra aerokit II and 18"" carrera's.
ive had a shot of the infamous integra type r and the handling in that was in another league but it didint "feel" fast damn!
thinking turbo is where its at for that kick in the back!!!
Shame you didn't think the Teg was quick enough. I have a MY05 STI PPP, EVO VI TME and an Integra. Ok they are a lot quicker in a straight but the Teg is so rewarding to drive and it can corner at stupid speeds.
Old 28 May 2008, 05:18 PM
Janspeed
Scooby Regular

Buy a plane, C-152 much more fun!
Old 28 May 2008, 05:24 PM
n one
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SPEN555
Elise/Exige.

Yep I`m with Spen here, go test drive an Exige
Old 28 May 2008, 07:00 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

early Porsche 911 996 can be had for little over £20k. Should put the smile back on your face (as hopefully it will with me too)
Old 28 May 2008, 09:25 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

hi ppl i bought my boxster 3.2s 53 plate in Jan after owning a 91 plate mx5 1.6i and can honestly say hand on heart i enjoyed driving the mx-5!!!it just handled so well and drove like a go kart!!dont get me wrong the boxster definetley looks the part but it looks better than it drives!!!!! a bit disappointing in terms of performance and driver enjoyment and satisfaction......... feels numb compared to the mx-5.

what else is out there for nearly the same price prob a bit cheaper that will deliver in enjoyment.

iam thinking it doesnt matter how much power its got its how its delivered that makes it fun to drive.iam remembering driving my renault 5gtturbo back in the day lol.
at the moment iam thinking e46 m3, mr2 turbo, 350z not sure as its 287 bhp in a heavy car for that age iam looking at.

its got to look good and pin you to the seat when floored any thoughts?

cheers in advance for your replies
I think the MR2 is a decent drivers car and not far of the same layout as a MX5 with a lot more power, mate of mine owned one for a short while, not a bad car and was quick. Have a go in one see what you think.
Old 28 May 2008, 09:25 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

If a boxster S doesn't do it for you, and it's handing where you get your kicks, then I doubt either a regular 996 or E46 M3 will either. I've owned/driven all three, and IMO the facelift boxster you're driving is the best of the bunch.

An elise or exige sounds like it could be the only way to go.

Gary.
Old 28 May 2008, 10:08 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Was you not impressed with the 996 then Gary ??
Old 28 May 2008, 10:23 PM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Elise if you want real go-kart handling.

Or how's about a Honda S2000 - like an MX-5 only better - 9000rpm is mental.
I'll second the S2000 idea. Go and test drive one!
Old 28 May 2008, 10:23 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Don't worry, I'm here now!

Now, let me suggest something different. Don't spend so much money on a car. I am not suggesting this is you, but so many people buy a car because it is a status symbol. Spend half the cash on another MX5 if you like (although it is always dangerous to go back to an old friend) or how about a hot hatch? Something like a Suzuki Swift. Great to drive, practical and cheap. A lotus will drive you nuts day-to-day and the z350/911/M3 etc will be just as boring as the Boxster (I have driven all of them).

Just because you have the cash does not mean you have to, or need to spend it.
Old 28 May 2008, 10:34 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Supercharged S2000 could be the one, or ExigeS if you can live with one
Old 28 May 2008, 11:15 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lotus will drive you nuts day-to-day
I'm yet to go nuts and have had a Lotus as my only mode of transport since November
Old 28 May 2008, 11:37 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

I really liked the driving experience of the Boxster, the sound, the hadling etc. but my buddy recently bought a VX220, even though not as fast above 100 for a driving experience it is far better than a Boxster. You feel more connected to the road and you feel everything through the steering.

I've only driven the NA version but i believe the Turbo will blow your socks off.

It is however a ****** to get into (especially being 20 stone) and is a rattley old thing but if you can live with it and is a second car then you wont be dissapointed
Old 29 May 2008, 12:11 AM
Hanky
Scooby Newbie

Driven a Boxster S and owned 2 Elises, Series 1 and 2, and an Exige.

Given your requirements, the Exige gets my vote, yet to drive anything that's as affordable and as much fun.

Pretty much any version of an Elise is a very close second though.
Old 29 May 2008, 01:46 AM
delcbr
Scooby Regular

tell me more about exige and elise whats the best model for under 20k?
any problems with reliabilty?
ive sat in an s2000 and i didint like the cramped cabin space or no power until your screaming it.
btw the boxster is a boring car to drive could be driving a mondeo lol

what about hot hatches you think il get my kicks from them they say the megane rb26 is the pick of the crop....hold on a minute renault no iam not going back down that road again!!
Old 29 May 2008, 02:17 AM
Hanky
Scooby Newbie

Tremendous range of Elise variants available for under 20k.

If I was to do it all again and I wanted a factory car I would be looking at a 2005 Elise 111r with the 190 bhp Toyota vvti engine and 6 speed gearbox, cam change at about 6200rpm completely addictive... or if you're into modifyng your cars...

An unmolested Elise Series 1 for about 9k and add a Honda Type R engine to it (a common conversion) with upgraded brakes and nitrons etc. - awesome on track.

Only way to tell is to test drive an Elise, it's a marmite car and you either get the Lotus ethos or find the ownership prospect a PIA, I absolutely loved it and will have another in due course, really hanker after a 340r...

BTW with one of my Lotus purchases, I actually went to the dealer specifically to test drive a Boxster S, but they also had the Exige which I drove immediately after the Porsche, it wasn't a difficult choice! The Boxster was brilliant car but almost too competent and not enough of an event.
Old 29 May 2008, 08:13 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

tell me more about exige and elise whats the best model for under 20k?
any problems with reliabilty?
ive sat in an s2000 and i didint like the cramped cabin space or no power until your screaming it.
If your dont liked cramped cars then you might not like an Elise or VX, comfy when in but a bugger to climb in and out

what about hot hatches you think il get my kicks from them they say the megane rb26 is the pick of the crop....hold on a minute renault no iam not going back down that road again!!
I'll stick my neck out here and say what about an Astra VXR - i recently drove one of these at a recent VXR trackday at Oulton park, it was a genuinely quick car and i was seriously impressed with it although it did understeer a bit. It might be a totally different car on the road though and i cant comment on how it handled the open road. Thing with the hot hatch brigade i cant see them offering any more kicks than your Boxster tbh.

If your not bothered about going super quick point to point and are willing to take a risk what about a something from the TVR range, i.e. Tuscan, Tamora all can be had for less than 20k and certainly will give you the thrills that you require.
Old 29 May 2008, 08:35 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

So far the least powerful car that has been recommended (apart from your original MX5) has 200bhp. The Elise is an oddball - try getting in and out of one at a busy supermarket in the rain - so we'll ignore that for a mo. I bet you bought the S version of the Boxster at least in part because you thought the extra power would make it more fun. In reality it's the exact opposite most of the time.

Before you hand over your hard earned cash perhaps you could ask your question on a forum where most people aren't obsessed with maximum power. Go to the Suzuki Swift forum or the Panda 100hp forum and listen to owners raving about their cars. If you only listen to people on this site you're going to end up in a car with exactly the same problem.
Old 29 May 2008, 09:43 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by B0DSKI
Was you not impressed with the 996 then Gary ??
On the contrary, owned a C2 from new for a couple of years and loved it.

But after living with a friend's facelift boxster S (same as the OP) for a couple of months earlier this year, it was clear that this is the better handling car, and it seems that handling kicks are the focus of this thread.

Gary.
Old 29 May 2008, 10:50 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster

Before you hand over your hard earned cash perhaps you could ask your question on a forum where most people aren't obsessed with maximum power. Go to the Suzuki Swift forum or the Panda 100hp forum and listen to owners raving about their cars. If you only listen to people on this site you're going to end up in a car with exactly the same problem.

Bit harsh. On that premise I suggest he tries a Daihatsu Cuore (don't knock it - its like driving a roller skate, silly but amusing without breaking speed limits).

Can't see anything wrong with my suggestion of a 70's-80's 911. You cannot get rawer than that. Forget the cushy 993s and soggy/lardy 996s. And if one is paranoid about going off the road backwards, try a 1985 911 supersports. Just make sure you test one with fresh suspension.

As an aisde, I know I'm going into classic terriorty a bit too much here but a Elan S3/S4 FHC (or a +2 130 if you want more leg room) has a great grin factor. Moreso than modern Elises IMO. So it should be...its a tad lighter than a Elise with a -front engine RWD layout like an MX5 but its 300kg lighter the Mazda and no PAS!

You could try an NSX, but its in 993 terriorty interms of rawness; i.e a maybe a bit too refined. Refined = numb= boring.

I think anyone is going to struggle finding a "thrilling" modern sports car; Mainstream manufacturers have listened/catered for too many numpties who want a car thats both fast, easy, comfortable and refined. Resulting in power-assisted everything, "safe" handling dynamics, and insulation/dampening that blocks out every sense of feedback that one is driving fast or driving near the car's limits.

I agree that there is no fun nor challenge in driving a car where 100mph feels like 30mph. But you can't say people on a another fourm will realise that any better than this one. Afterall, the market demand for "refined" city cars is as big as any. For example, the Panda's electric power steering; The eqivelent of having a local anaesthetic injected into your arms. All on a car that doesn't need PAS in the first place - its not heavy enough (MX5 is guilty of that as well).
Old 29 May 2008, 10:53 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Must admit to being in a similar position. My day-to-day runabout is a lovely little Alfa 147 picked up for a few grand - it does a great job and is proving to be both relaible and fun to drive. My weekend toy is a Clio V6 MkII - hilarious car to own and I've loved it, but I must admit that the weight of the car is its biggest detractor and I'm now looking at something a bit more fun. Handling again, is the key, rather than BHP. My conclusion was the same as many on here - Elise or Exige. I really fancy a soft top, so the Elise is winning out at the moment. Love the cars and driven them on many occassions.

If it is the purity of driving that you are after, then you could do a lot worse than the Elise. The alternative might be to do what I've done and get yourself a little runabout for work and pick up a nice Caterham

Quick Reply: iam bored of my boxster 3.2s reccomend me a car