Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

SMART BRABUS ROADSTER

Search this Thread

Old 27 May 2008, 10:39 AM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SMART BRABUS ROADSTER

Got my Golf mk2 16v for sunny days and weekends, thinking a Smart Brabus roadster, 50mpg, low tax and insurance, plenty of remaps out there to improve performance and the slow gearbox. anybody got or had one?
Old 27 May 2008, 11:54 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

I had a roadster 80 YouTube - Smart Roadster 80 @ Cadwell Park.

It was a pretty good car - they are light on fuel, but not 50mpg, more like 38-45. Lot's of fun but you have to get used to the excessively light steering, and slow gearbox and the fact the performance will always be limited.

They look great though, especially in Brabus guise, and sound nice to with the waste gate chirping away etc.

7k service intervals and lots of niggles are the one’s to watch out for parts both standard and modified are Merc money! I changed my wheels twice to get the most comfort relative to looks and performance and settled on a 205 tyre on a 15” rim but it was costly to find the right compromise.
Old 27 May 2008, 12:37 PM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
I had a roadster 80 YouTube - Smart Roadster 80 @ Cadwell Park.

It was a pretty good car - they are light on fuel, but not 50mpg, more like 38-45. Lot's of fun but you have to get used to the excessively light steering, and slow gearbox and the fact the performance will always be limited.

They look great though, especially in Brabus guise, and sound nice to with the waste gate chirping away etc.

7k service intervals and lots of niggles are the one’s to watch out for parts both standard and modified are Merc money! I changed my wheels twice to get the most comfort relative to looks and performance and settled on a 205 tyre on a 15” rim but it was costly to find the right compromise.

Thanks, great video
Old 27 May 2008, 12:47 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I had a Brabus Roadster Coupe. Drove to Munich and back in it. I absolutely loved it to bits but my word there was something always going wrong with it!
It got stuck in gear, the passenger door would open onto the safety catch if you hit a bump, the rear quarter window always creaked etc etc.
Oh and my roadtrip to Munich ended up with both fog lamps cracked and needed replacing (you can't just replace the glass either).
However, by the time the Munich trip came about I think it was pretty well sorted and it performed admirably (I had hoped to visit the Ring on the way home but we were in a rush to catch the ferry). Hours and hours at 90mph+ it never missed a beat!
As a weekend car, I reckon you'll have massive amounts of fun. I wish I could afford one for that purpose.
Old 27 May 2008, 12:58 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
I had a Brabus Roadster Coupe. Drove to Munich and back in it. I absolutely loved it to bits but my word there was something always going wrong with it!
It got stuck in gear, the passenger door would open onto the safety catch if you hit a bump, the rear quarter window always creaked etc etc.
Oh and my roadtrip to Munich ended up with both fog lamps cracked and needed replacing (you can't just replace the glass either).
However, by the time the Munich trip came about I think it was pretty well sorted and it performed admirably (I had hoped to visit the Ring on the way home but we were in a rush to catch the ferry). Hours and hours at 90mph+ it never missed a beat!
As a weekend car, I reckon you'll have massive amounts of fun. I wish I could afford one for that purpose.
So you drove yours to Munich?
Old 28 May 2008, 11:49 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tobisausage
So you drove yours to Munich?
I certainly did
No hint of being uncomfortable either!
Old 03 June 2008, 09:17 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Business partner has one, door opening is common apparently, we've had it happen numerous times.
Not my cup of tea but he really loves it...
Old 06 June 2008, 08:20 PM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

brabus versions are great with all the toys, leather heated seats, air con, electric soft top, paddle shift gearboxes, the later ones had push button starts too.

loads of fun, but the biggest draw back is the leaking roof, not all of them but quite common and the seals are a £1500 job if not in warranty.

fewer and fewer about too, still demanding good money, we have sold our last 3 for about 12k (main dealer) but they were around 17k new.

fun fun fun!!