Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

If you had a budget of 13k what would you get?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2008, 11:13 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you had a budget of 13k what would you get?

I'm on the verge of getting another Scoob (04 STI) with some mods making well over 300Bhp, however I keep having doubts creeping into my head about whether I should get one due to current fuel prices and tax etc.

I only do about 15 miles a day so not high mileage compared to a lot of people.

So I have been thinking, "ok what else would/could I get if I don't get a scoob???". I'm having a real hard time coming up with anything, I like my cars (Had a Type R Scoob about 5 years ago and between then and now had a Civic Type R) so I can't see myself getting a nice little ford focus or something similar.

I have a budget of 13k max, what would you consider instead of a Scoob? I will be using whatever I get as a daily drive/only car so it can't be a Lotus or something along those lines.

Looking for some good ideas/suggestions
Old 03 June 2008, 11:17 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy nice tidy classic for around 5 or 6 grand and a wad of cash to take it to the moon
Old 03 June 2008, 11:36 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

03 plate wr1!!!!!!!!! thats what id buy
Old 03 June 2008, 11:37 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

theres one for sale on ebay now, in ireland but he only wants around 12grand for it, standard. and no1 even viewing the auction hardly...have a ganders:>>>>>>>>>>

WR1 SUBARU IMPREZA NO 161 NO RESERVE on eBay, also, Subaru, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 04-Jun-08 14:17:58 BST)
Old 03 June 2008, 11:38 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash002004
03 plate wr1!!!!!!!!! thats what id buy
Don't think you would get one for 13k.........would you?
Old 03 June 2008, 11:39 PM
ash002004
Scooby Regular

only fourteen hours left! lol. i could afford it but thats about it, couldnt afford insurance on top plus petrol! lol so many other things i need, ha.....life ey
Old 03 June 2008, 11:43 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ash002004
only fourteen hours left! lol. i could afford it but thats about it, couldnt afford insurance on top plus petrol! lol so many other things i need, ha.....life ey
Ah, just replied then noticed your later post...... nice looking car, I'm in the south east of england so would be bit of a trip plus I would never buy a car from ebay.
Old 04 June 2008, 12:01 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You know what I'm going to say but..........

...an S2000. I used one as my daily driver for 1.5y/30k and as my only car and it was seldom if ever a problem and considerably more practical than an elise/exige/vx. £13k still gets you a nice one.
Old 04 June 2008, 06:37 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

If you're going to get an STI then make sure you get a deal that blows your socks off. There is a fair chance that oil is massively overpriced and the increases we are seeing are only temporary. But if that isn't the case and the price reaches levels predicted earlier this year you will find yourself with a car you cannot sell for even vaguely sensible money. I would suggest you should factor this into your maximum price when working out what you can afford.

The trouble with suggesting something other than the Scoob at your price point is that you will probably get a good quality car and excellent value for money (excluding running costs). This makes any normal alternative look a bit limp in comparison. Personally, if you only do that many miles per day then you won't have time for the oil to warm up before you reach your destination. The majority of your trips will therefore be spent pootling. I think you'd be better off with something like a Suzuki Swift/Panda 100hp with a great stereo upgrade. You'll have more fun more of the time. The real question is, can you cope with telling people you drive that kind of car or do you feel the need for a ***** extension? That's probably a bit harsh, but you get my point?
Old 04 June 2008, 09:40 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

If I had that kind of budget, I'd buy two cars

I'd buy one cheap as chips small engined runaround (diesel or petrol) from an auction (e.g. something that's a cat c / cat d because it's got a scratch down the side), MOT it and then drive it

Then I'd buy a classic sports car for early saturday and sunday mornings. Something like a porsche 944 turbo, or even a classic impreza. If it's a second car purely for "hooning" about it, I don't think the petrol prices matter that much. What kills me at the moment is the road tax and insurance, but with a classic, at least the tax would be lower, and it could be insured TPFT with limited mileage as well, saving some money.
Old 04 June 2008, 10:27 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I had a similar budget to you a month or so ago and narrowed it down to either a Focus ST or a 06 plate STI.

In the end, the new tax rules and general running costs sidelined the STI and I now have a 07 plate Focus ST which is great - build quality is naff but the running costs won it:

Insurance: £478 (ST) vs approx £800 (STI)
Servicing £150-200 (ST) vs £500-900 (STI)
Tax: £310 vs £455

Plus the STI needed a tracker fitting, and the Focus is a much nicer looking car.

I'm having a Dreamscience remap added in a few weeks to take it to 270bhp/330ft/lbs and the FWD copes just fine even up to 330bhp.

Good cars, although fuel is rubbish at average 21-24mpg, but then so is the STI.
Old 04 June 2008, 01:55 PM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

An M3 Evo Convertible for the summer with less than 60k miles
Old 04 June 2008, 03:53 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
I'm on the verge of getting another Scoob (04 STI) with some mods making well over 300Bhp, however I keep having doubts creeping into my head about whether I should get one due to current fuel prices and tax etc.

So I have been thinking, "ok what else would/could I get if I don't get a scoob???". I'm having a real hard time coming up with anything, I like my cars (Had a Type R Scoob about 5 years ago and between then and now had a Civic Type R) so I can't see myself getting a nice little ford focus or something similar.

I have a budget of 13k max, what would you consider instead of a Scoob? I will be using whatever I get as a daily drive/only car so it can't be a Lotus or something along those lines.

You have PM my friend.
Old 04 June 2008, 04:08 PM
Varboy
Scooby Regular

For that money, even with the little mileage you do, I would probably get a BMW 330d.

Easy to remap, rwd, nice to drive, good interior, good image and cheap tax and you would probably only have to fill it up once every month.
Old 04 June 2008, 04:12 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Well I've got an idea - and yes its a bit different, but hear me out.

And straight off to all those who'll stick their noses up at this - Bollox to you, lol!

What type of car to get depends highly on what you want from it.

But how about a car that is:

-fairly cheap on parts
-easy to work on
-looks good
-is fairly rare and exciting on our roads
-usable
-fast
-handles well
-seats 4
-sounds fantastic
-not too pricey to buy
-fast stock
-capable of being stupidly fast for not massive amounts of £££
-fairly decent on fuel

If any of those sound interesting then try one of these:

A 1998-2002 Camaro z28 or SS.

They have the same all aluminium LS1 5.7 V8 found in the C5 Corvette and despite GM marketing they make around 350bhp/370lb ft stock.

Available with a 6 speed manual or 4 speed auto. Can come in either hard top, T-top or convertible. Electric everything and leather.

4 seats

A usable boot

Comfy ride

Handle pretty well stock

Sound frigging awesome with an aftermarket catback.

The where also sold thru Vauxhall dealers here in the UK or you can import one from the US.

Fairly economical 24-26mpg for the autos and a tad better for the manuals.

Stock performance 0-60mph in 5'ish seconds. 0-100mph in 12'ish seconds and top speed around 160mph. 1/4 mile in mid/low 13's @ 104-108mph.

Easily modded with cam/heads and can see upto 450rwhp and still very streetable and near stock fuel economy.

stock will take a 150 nitrous shot no probs

There are after market supercharger kits. 750rwhp is quite possible.

There are even turbo and twin turbo kits with even more HP potential.

You can bore and stroke the engine out to over 7 litres.

Bad points:

-the stupid stigma that EVERYONE in the UK thinks American cars are slow and can't handle (although this can be a lot of fun some times... )

-Left hand drive only (although after a day driving a left hooker it hardly becomes an issue, only drive-thru's require reverse gear or a passenger)

-It's not a small car. Physically its bigger than an Impreza, but it really isn't any bigger than any other big coupe out there from anyone like Aston Martin, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, etc. It also doesn't actually weigh as much as most think ranging from about 1500-1650kg making it lighter than a new BMW M3

Last edited by 300bhp/ton; 04 June 2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04 June 2008, 04:22 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

£13K - check out the CLK 500 here: West Kent Motors
Old 04 June 2008, 04:29 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
£13K - check out the CLK 500 here: West Kent Motors

He'll look either middle aged or have everyone think he's in sales.
Old 04 June 2008, 04:40 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

-the stupid stigma that EVERYONE in the UK thinks American cars are slow and can't handle
Having been in a 505bhp Z06 vette a few days ago I can vouch that 7.0 V8 American cars can shift....in a straight line at least!!
Old 04 June 2008, 11:38 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Blueblaster
The real question is, can you cope with telling people you drive that kind of car or do you feel the need for a ***** extension? That's probably a bit harsh, but you get my point?
I know what you mean but can't say I’m really bothered about what other people think of the car I drive and have no need to go round telling people I drive a Subaru because anyone with half a brain would think your just a dick

I see your point about it having time to warm up, one scoob I have found does have defi dials so I could keep an eye on them temp if need be me and the girl friend are thinking of buying our first place sometime not too far into the future so there is a good chance I will be living a bit further away from work. Any closer and I won't need a car, just a push bike
Old 04 June 2008, 11:43 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Not really into American cars but thanks for the thought, and I wouldn't really want a left hooker.

Wouldn't mind a BMW 3 Series of some sort but they all seem to have high-ish mileage, like 60k+.

Honda S2000, hhmmm........ not bad but I think I would like a slightly bigger car, so I don't get run over by a lorry or something
Old 05 June 2008, 12:43 AM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Not really into American cars but thanks for the thought, and I wouldn't really want a left hooker.
Just curious but any real reason? Its not that I want to convert anyone, but time and tome again people seem to think American car.... when really it's just a performance car built in Canada and sold across the world.

Just wondering the reasons behind it.
Old 05 June 2008, 12:34 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Bad points:

-the stupid stigma that EVERYONE in the UK thinks American cars are slow and can't handle (although this can be a lot of fun some times... )

-Left hand drive only (although after a day driving a left hooker it hardly becomes an issue, only drive-thru's require reverse gear or a passenger)

-It's not a small car. Physically its bigger than an Impreza, but it really isn't any bigger than any other big coupe out there from anyone like Aston Martin, Jaguar, BMW, Mercedes, etc. It also doesn't actually weigh as much as most think ranging from about 1500-1650kg making it lighter than a new BMW M3
You forgot to add:

- they look crap

Old 05 June 2008, 01:24 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
You forgot to add:

- they look crap

Well I guess that's a matter of opinion. Never had any complaints about mine, yet plenty of positive comments, anywhere from shows, to petrol station forecourts to being parked out the front of my house.
Old 05 June 2008, 01:27 PM
alloy
Scooby Regular

R33 GTR, Supra, Integra Type R
Old 05 June 2008, 02:06 PM
shamrock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Just curious but any real reason? Its not that I want to convert anyone, but time and tome again people seem to think American car.... when really it's just a performance car built in Canada and sold across the world.

Just wondering the reasons behind it.
Ugly
Poor build quality

M3 Everytime
Old 05 June 2008, 02:09 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by shamrock
Poor build quality
and that's based off of what experience?

Originally Posted by shamrock
M3 Everytime
Show me a 350bhp M3 for the same money and maybe it'd get considered.

For 2nd hand M3 money you could have well 600rwhp and every day reliability too boot.
Old 05 June 2008, 03:52 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

You're flogging a dead horse mate, most on here would rather pay double and get an M3 with a million miles than a Camaro thing, no offense.

I would imagine a 350bhp M3 would batter a 600bhp Camaro round a track, as well as looking a damn site nicer and being much better built.
Old 05 June 2008, 04:33 PM
Rob16v
Scooby Regular

Integrale
Old 05 June 2008, 07:56 PM
300bhp/ton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
You're flogging a dead horse mate, most on here would rather pay double and get an M3 with a million miles than a Camaro thing, no offense.

I would imagine a 350bhp M3 would batter a 600bhp Camaro round a track, as well as looking a damn site nicer and being much better built.
Seriously not trying to flog a horse but can't understand the crap being posted.

Just goes to prove how arrogant and retarded the British public are.

Shame - I thought this site was full of motoring enthusiasts not image chasers and prats.

I can show you a forum over twice the size of this where plenty think it looks fine. And no offense but Scooby drivers calling any car ugly seriously need to take a long look at their cars.

As for performance, well in track racing in the States the Fbody's wiped to floor with the BMW cars. So guess you are correct

As for how they are built - what the SMEG are you basing this on????

I've had a 318i and my brother a 323, both where pretty ****e and craply built with problems on both. I've had no problems with the Camaro in 3 years and know of plenty of others in a similar situation.

Not too mention in the States BMW doesn't have this halo reputation that the media dresses them up in here. They actually have a reputation for poor reliability and being expensive to run.

BTW - I'm not wanting to sound one sided because I'm not. I like cars of all shapes and sizes and try not to be narrow minded. I've owned hot hatches, turbo charged Japanese coupes, British sports cars, off roaders, luxuary GT's and more.

And I'm not asking you to like it, but maybe stop some of the claims you are making as you evidently have no idea.

Quick Reply: If you had a budget of 13k what would you get?