Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

SEAT LEON CUPRA FR 150 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2008, 12:16 AM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking SEAT LEON CUPRA FR 150 TDI

What are these like guys, say a 55 plate (old shape.)

I was considering an Astra SRi 1.9 CDti 150 XP however I need the CO2 emissions to be less than 150g/km. The astra is 157g/km and the Seat 140ish.
Old 04 May 2008, 12:31 AM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Superb car with a superb engine, much better than any Astra. More power available for not much extra cash too
Old 04 May 2008, 10:07 AM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

Ok, here's an opinion from someone who isn't a member of the VAG Diesel Appreciation Society.

The car itself is a good one. Enormous boot, decent kit levels, loads of interior room and good looks (subjective). The VAG engine has good power and economy and can be tuned very cheaply. HOWEVER, it sounds like a tractor. If you try and find a complimentaty road test on this engine you will be looking a long time. It's an old school engine in a good car.

Having read your other post on the Astra diesel I would suggest you take a look at the Focus. It might not have as much power as the Astra or the Leon but it is a far superior engine. Much smoother and as a result much more fun to use. Another one to consider, although it doesn't look as good as its rivals, is the Civic diesel. You can get the 2.2 in the old shape and it is a lovely engine. Super smooth all the way to the red line.
Old 04 May 2008, 01:11 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Thanks Blueblaster. I have heard these Civics are pretty good.
Old 14 May 2008, 04:42 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Bought a Leon FR TDi on Sunday in black - pure minted!!
Old 14 May 2008, 05:42 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

We've got the Civic and it's pretty good. Standard Civic vs non FR Leon and the Leon has a far better ride/handling set up but the interior feel a lot cheaper in the Seat than in the Honda. Our Civic isn't as economical as we'd hoped (43mpg on a mix of driving but getting better as we get more miles on it) but it is quick and refined and has loads of kit as standard.

We chose the Honda over the Leon (again, not FR version) because it's just a nicer place to be.
Old 14 May 2008, 08:14 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Leon is pretty sporty in that guise, handling is suspect though IMO - nasty understeer with little effort, a little wallowy at speed - unlike the new one which impressed me no end in 1.6 'Reference'? guise [a loaner].
Old 14 May 2008, 08:26 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Leon is pretty sporty in that guise, handling is suspect though IMO - nasty understeer with little effort, a little wallowy at speed - unlike the new one which impressed me no end in 1.6 'Reference'? guise [a loaner].
thats what ARB's are for
Old 14 May 2008, 08:35 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

The 150 pd engine is probably the best diesel engine about these days, So quick and Torquey, I reckon you would struggle to get another derv with so much engine flexibilty as this with brilliant fuel consumption/emmisions.
Old 16 May 2008, 04:43 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

ARB would be one solution
Old 16 May 2008, 05:33 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
ARB would be one solution
see post #8
where else we going with this ?

Old 16 May 2008, 07:20 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deangtiuk
The 150 pd engine is probably the best diesel engine about these days, So quick and Torquey, I reckon you would struggle to get another derv with so much engine flexibilty as this with brilliant fuel consumption/emmisions.

Did someone mention VAG fans
Old 16 May 2008, 07:41 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Best diesel engine about? Better than BMW's twin turbo engines (2 litre and 3 litre)? I think not!
Old 16 May 2008, 08:01 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

Was down in Dumfries area (from Glasgow) today and the sat nav directed me via planty A and B roads - FANTASTIC car. Grips like mad and the brakes are good too. Not only that, I managed to get 600 miles before I needed to fill back up (£67) and the average fuel consumption was anything between 53 - 60mpg (the computer re-set itself after stopping for a while.) Glad I picked this one - looks cool as well.
Old 16 May 2008, 08:21 PM
Blueblaster
Scooby Regular

That VAG unit does seem to sip fuel when pressing on. I think that is why it is so popular with the tuning brigade. My Honda 2.2 is super smooth but uses a lot more fuel if you give it some beans.
Old 18 May 2008, 07:11 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Best diesel engine about? Better than BMW's twin turbo engines (2 litre and 3 litre)? I think not!
BMW use 2 turbo's for 177bhp VAG use one turbo for 170 bhp. Anyone can slap another turbo on to achieve more power.
Old 18 May 2008, 07:27 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

No, BMW use 1 turbo for 177hp and x2 for 204hp.
Old 18 May 2008, 07:57 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

My mistake.
Old 19 May 2008, 10:40 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deangtiuk
Sorry i laughed
VW have pretty much lost the plot when it comes to diesels, subaru make a more refined more POWERFUL 2ltr diesel engine than vw do, BMW make a far superior diesel engine than vw do, mercedes make a more superior engine than vw do, ford (who only 8 years ago made a really sucky 1.8td engine) make a more superior engine than vw do, damn even GM now make a better engine than vw do, and the list goes on (i can even add Peugeot to that list).

Its been stated, that engine is old school, yes its economical, no its not as powerful as other engines in its class, they do actually produce more torque out of the box over the vw engine, the only thing the vw engine has going for it is reputation from the old days, and their 2ltr 140bhp tdi engine isnt much better.

Tony
Old 19 May 2008, 12:14 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Indeed.
Old 19 May 2008, 07:37 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Sorry i laughed
VW have pretty much lost the plot when it comes to diesels, subaru make a more refined more POWERFUL 2ltr diesel engine than vw do, BMW make a far superior diesel engine than vw do, mercedes make a more superior engine than vw do, ford (who only 8 years ago made a really sucky 1.8td engine) make a more superior engine than vw do, damn even GM now make a better engine than vw do, and the list goes on (i can even add Peugeot to that list).

Its been stated, that engine is old school, yes its economical, no its not as powerful as other engines in its class, they do actually produce more torque out of the box over the vw engine, the only thing the vw engine has going for it is reputation from the old days, and their 2ltr 140bhp tdi engine isnt much better.

Tony
Old 20 May 2008, 11:28 PM
MarkGray
Scooby Regular

VW are changing from the PD diesel engine and going to common rail diesels.... About time imo....
Old 21 May 2008, 08:19 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MarkGray
VW are changing from the PD diesel engine and going to common rail diesels.... About time imo....
Why's it about time the moved onto common rail diesels from the good old PD, the pd golf's are the best seller in the range especially the 130 gt tdi. You will always sell a Golf 130pd all day long.
Old 22 May 2008, 10:08 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Sorry i laughed

Tony
www.BMWLand.co.uk - Where Power Meets Control - UK BMW Car chat site :: View topic - Urgent 320d Potential Engine weakness
Guess they aren''t that superior after all mate?