Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

S14a 200sx

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2008, 05:59 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S14a 200sx

Ok, I know its been posted before.. but just looking for guidance about what areas are 'known' problems on these cars so that if/when I look around one then I can be specific at what I look at.

I'm currently looking to sell my STi and am looking at potential replacements, been spending a lot of time on Pistonheads, and remember a car that I've always fancied was an S14a after my friend owned a mint '00 Emerald Green model. His was a complete minter with some basic mods (GT28, FMIC, Exhaust, Intake, etc) and I loved the way it looked and sounded.

I've done a bit of surfing around the SXOC, but would like a wee bit of advice from people outwith the 200sx owners club as they might be a bit 'biased' towards the car.. Most of the cars I've seen are high mileage examples, how well do these cars wear their mileage?

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 March 2008, 06:05 PM
lestippp
Scooby Regular

Can't really help as never owned one although being Japanese I would doubt that there are any major issues other than those which high milages always bring of course.
Have heard that they make good "drift" cars should be good in the snow then eh

Good luck with the search, I always fancied one of these to but never got round to it
Old 28 March 2008, 06:31 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Pretty bulletproof mate - take high mileages well.

Don't fancy a stripped out, road legal S14a track car do ya?
Old 28 March 2008, 07:34 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

ScoobyJawa.. I did an SIDC track afternoon at Knockhill in the STi a few weeks ago and have gotten the bug, but, because I dont want to use a 2007 STi on the track on a regular basis, I am looking for something more focused to use for the track stuff. I noticed you're car on PH today and to be honest, its exactly what I fancy getting my hands on but until the Scoob goes I wont be able to make a move on anything I've seen which is a bit frustrating.

However having noticed your recent thread looking for a replacement for the Z4, maybe I should be asking you, do you fancy a deal on an '07 STi for your stripped out, road legal S14a track car??
Might be able to make it quite appealing to you too, since your car fits my specific needs so well.......

Cheers,
Grant
Old 28 March 2008, 09:16 PM
Stealth
Scooby Regular

Poke the S14 and plump for an S15.... they look mint
Old 30 March 2008, 06:05 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Hi Grant

I know what thats like when you just want things to move quick but you have to wait for it all to pan out!!
I've got to say, I don't want to be selling the 14a as I spent so much time making it what it is last year so I'm gutted to sell it - however, an impending wedding and no time to take it to track makes it silly to sit on the drive unused and a wedding fund top up too!

I do love scoobs, but I'm not really after another one to be honest, I'm looking to spend 7-10k (tops) on a car if I can shift my Z4 and stick the remaining 6-7k from that in the wedding bank too!

However - if you do sell on the STi and fancy a look, mines ready to go on track straight away - a lot is already done for you, but theres still lots of extra's tweaks you can add to it if you wish!

Cheers
Neil
Old 02 April 2008, 08:42 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

As has already been said, they're generally bullet proof, even when modded and high mileage doesn't seem to cause any issues either... there are plenty of cars on the SXOC with around 100k or more on the clock and still going strong

Power comes cheap & easy, yet they're still reasonable on fuel, I can get mid 30's to the gallon on a run in mine, that's running 283bhp & 294lb/ft, so for this level of performance it's superb

Had mine nearly 2 years now and done ~18k miles in it, but never had any problems in that time and it has just flown through the MOT too

Trending Topics

Old 02 April 2008, 09:06 PM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stealth
Poke the S14 and plump for an S15.... they look mint
import only, rare and expensive... the S14a is a lot more car for your money...

my mate has a gunmetal grey S15 though and it's stunning
Old 02 April 2008, 09:47 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

I have a few mates with S14a's...1 of them is running stage 1 about 270bhp another stage 2 about 300bhp and their cars never break down but 2 other guys are running stage 3 350-380bhp and those guys cars are never on the road they always seem to break..