Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Ferrari Paint Quality

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2008, 06:50 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ferrari Paint Quality

Saw a stunning 599 Scalligetti in the Wilmslow Sainsbury's car park, gorgeous thing with carbon brakes, the works, had a good nosey and I was thinking how poor the paint was for such an expensive car, then my wife said the paint "Looked Rubbish", for her to notice it had to be bad !

I would have rejected the car if I had ordered it, the paint was very orange peely and didn't even look evenly applied, there was a 10 year old Toyota next to it and the paint was much better, I painted the front wings on my old black Golf GTI and the finish was better than the factory paint which was in turn better than the factory Ferrari finish.

Is this typical ?
Old 01 March 2008, 07:55 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it not a carbon body painted ?
Old 01 March 2008, 08:02 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

No, its steel I think.
Old 01 March 2008, 08:16 PM
RB5SCOTT
Scooby Regular

Have'nt you heard! Orange peel is in. Look at the new M3
Old 02 March 2008, 05:41 AM
Chip Sencurry
BANNED

I believe the poor finish is caused by the lacquer which is applied as a powder and then baked on.

I recently inspected an E92 M3 and the finish was diabolical. Personally, I do not think that anyone paying a premium rate for the likes of BMW, in the expectation of a quality car should expect paint of such dire finish.

It seems a recent BMW thing. Ferrari too, perhaps?

Maybe they should be taking lessons from Toyota and Lexus and realise a perfect finish is achievable.
Old 02 March 2008, 02:11 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

i saw a DB7 up close last week and saw how poor the body lines were - the bumper gaps weren't close or straight with the wings
Old 02 March 2008, 04:43 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

599 GTB Fiorano
612 Scaglietti
Both aluminium
Old 02 March 2008, 04:56 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Orange peal is awful on most new cars - of any value. The problem is the car is sprayed, baked, and thats it. Combined with water based and enviro-friendly paints which don't settle as well (in a bodyshop the paint has to be blown over with compressed air with a hairdryer-like air gun to get the paint to skin and cure properly )

That's what leaves a orange peal.

In a bodyshop (or hand finished, like a Bentley Arnage), after the clear coat is applied and baked. The whole car is rubbed down with fine grit wet and dry paper, then mopped over with varying grades of cutting paste to remove the high points in the paint and create a perfectly smooth finish. Its a labour intensive job.

In fact you can do it to most cars - so long as the top layer of paint is thick enough. I did my (classic) Impreza when I first bought it, so it had zero orange peal. Not many Imprezas out there like that.

Last edited by Shark Man; 02 March 2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02 March 2008, 07:25 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man
In fact you can do it to most cars - so long as the top layer of paint is thick enough. I did my (classic) Impreza when I first bought it, so it had zero orange peal. Not many Imprezas out there like that.
I would have thought doing that on a scoob would end up leaving undercoat showing the paint is that thin
Old 02 March 2008, 07:33 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Its surpisingly thick, although it was silver - which would have a clear coat finish. Whereas the solid coloured cars of the time didn't have any clearcoat, so were more prone to chips and scratches.

Cetainly nowhere near as thin as the paint on my XR3 was. Even though it was pearl Blue (pacifica blue actually) with a clear coat. You could see the beige undercoat showing through the base paint on the roof! I tried mopping it once, once being the operative word; It went straight through the clear coat the instant the polisher touched the panel.
Old 02 March 2008, 08:09 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Our year old Civic is more orange-peely than Kerry Katona's ****. Worst paint job I've seen for a while. My 17 year old Toyota, 11 year old Nissan and 5 year old Subaru are all loads better.
Old 03 March 2008, 12:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

But I cannot get my head round how bad it was on a 200k Ferrari, it should be so fantastic that you get a perfect reflection back, I can now see why the detailers get work, to finish what Ferrari hasnt done.

I have done the flatting off, practiced on an old 205, very fine paper, flat it off, dry it, t-cut it and then apply polish and it looked amazing so I can see how being a bit more careful and scientific they can make a big difference but if its a car you are bothered about you really need to check how thick the paint is first, must take some bottle taking the sandpaper to a brand new Ferrari.
Old 03 March 2008, 01:13 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

If the scaglietti was blue it lives in macc! And up close they do look **** paint and panel gap wise!