Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

L200

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2008, 07:18 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default L200

I've been seeing a few of these on the roads this week and tbh after watching the fall guy many years ago always wanted a pick up truck

i'm currently running a new shape clio which is cheap to run and as i only really go to work and back in it it suits me fine - but -

the warrior spec L200 looks great with the rear bars, etc and i'm getting peed off with pillocks tailgating me even though i'm not dawdling along just because i'm driving a small car.

The L200 would stop the tailgating as i'd make sure i had a towbar on and other cars would give a wide berth in carparks if i had sidesteps fitted (worked with a previous freelander i had)

Has anyone driven 1 of these daily? what are the running costs (mpg, insurance ave, etc), are there any known problems?

does anyone know what the difference between the warrior spec and animal spec (apart from leather in warrior)?

thanks
Old 28 February 2008, 07:48 PM
G00ner
Scooby Regular

Location: Poole - in an Isuzu D-Max LE (Prodrive Version) Gamer Tag "Coin Slot"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not keen at all on the new L200, I think the old shape is better to look at.

I've gone from a Spec B Legacy to an Isuzu pick up and am really enjoying it.
Pick ups are just so much more practicle, for me anyway.

There should be loads of info on Google, but I can tell you that a bloke I work with is on his 3rd L200, all of them get worked hard and it's only his oldest one that has given him any hassle (blown head gasket @ 130k miles).
Old 28 February 2008, 09:21 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Thanks - just registered on the l200 site so waiting to be approved?

It would be a 2004 model in my price range which is the better looking model anyway with a few accs it would look great

probably a daft question but - as most sales say £xxx + vat and i'm buying it as a private vehicle is there any way of avoiding the vat?
Old 29 February 2008, 08:07 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobmeister
Hope the search goes well, I'll look out for you on the L200 Site
So will I.
It's well worth the £16 to join 'cos there are a few engine issues with some of the old shape trucks from (IIRC) 04 - 05 plate.
I've got the new shape so I can't tell you much about the old ones.
Old 29 February 2008, 02:08 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I looked at these long and hard last summer and ruled that the Navarro is far better.
The new shape L200 is not as rugged looking as the original. The servicing interval were (from memory) to close and the economy and performance were woeful compared to its nissan rival.

I also noticed in my scientific survey that the drivers of these vehicles are even stumpier, fatter, older and balder than impreza drivers and wearing a dayglo jacket when driving an L200 is mandatory!
Old 29 February 2008, 02:32 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I looked at these long and hard last summer and ruled that the Navarro is far better.
The new shape L200 is not as rugged looking as the original. The servicing interval were (from memory) to close and the economy and performance were woeful compared to its nissan rival.

I also noticed in my scientific survey that the drivers of these vehicles are even stumpier, fatter, older and balder than impreza drivers and wearing a dayglo jacket when driving an L200 is mandatory!
Unfortuntely the Navara has just recorded a diablolical euro ncap score for driver safety - one star struck through. L200 fared significantly better.
Old 29 February 2008, 02:52 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

The Animal spec mainly differs from the Warrior by the fact it has the power upgrade. There's a fair few cosmetic bits as well.

As for daily cost's, I don't find it to bad. The fuel computer reckons I get about 29mpg - I never drive it slowly. (How accurate that is I'm not sure). 1st service was a couple of hundred quid, with them being every 12,500miles. Tyres are about £120 each, but they last well.

As already said, it's worth joining the owners club. Even if it just to wind up Steve Dublin!

I better put on some weight, shave my head, add a few years on my age and buy a day glow jacket then!
Old 29 February 2008, 04:03 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Odds on
As already said, it's worth joining the owners club. Even if it just to wind up Steve Dublin!

I better put on some weight, shave my head, add a few years on my age and buy a day glow jacket then!

..Navara...
In my scientific survey I found that drivers of Navaras tended to marry/have children with their own siblings. Ye HAAaaaaa..

Last edited by zip106; 29 February 2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 29 February 2008, 07:20 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

cheers guys - got the week after next off work so hopefully should find a few to look over/ test drive

narrowed it down to warrior spec in either black (bugger to clean but looks good) or grey
Old 29 February 2008, 07:21 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

forgot to ask - does anyone have the dimensions for the L200 (with and without roll bars) - the freelander just fitted under the garage door with the aerial laid flat
Old 01 March 2008, 07:58 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Doesnt mean that all you would need would be the dayglo jacket

I must admit I do like the L200's especially the slightly older ones, not as keen on the new new shape ones

If its anything like the shogun it will be heavy on juice, and the newer ones will be in the higher tax bracket too I imagine

Hows the Jag doing, did you get your plate transferred over too ?
Old 01 March 2008, 07:59 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

How about a Dodge Ram, now thats a pick up truck
Old 01 March 2008, 08:01 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Old 02 March 2008, 12:47 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sonic'
and the newer ones will be in the higher tax bracket too I imagine
Road tax is about £115 a year. New shape clobbered for the £25 congestion charge? - Nope.

It's as green as a truck can be, just don't get near the zorst every 3000miles when it cleans itself out.
Old 02 March 2008, 01:05 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Just a cautionary word...

The L200 is corking engines as fast as people can fit them..

The 2.5 is stretched too far and has made it very unreliable..

Personally i know of at least 20 engines gone in the last 12 months,so im sure theres a lot more throughout the UK..
Recon units are about 2k without fitting..

And the Navarra is no better...there throwing rods and cranks too..
Old 02 March 2008, 01:57 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Hi Mr Meister..

The problem with that paticular 2.5 engine is that its basic design is embedded in the early 80's.So with emissions laws and extracting more power the strength of the engine has now become structurally unsound..

BTW...im an Ex Mitzy ralliart trained chief technician,so im not just saying unfounded comments out of the top of my hat

Old 02 March 2008, 02:07 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

if the 2.5 engines are serviced properly and not thrashed or used for towing a lot of weight would they be ok?
don't want something unreliable or in the garage unless it's for a service
Old 02 March 2008, 02:51 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately,i have changed 2 engines this year,both with under 30k on them..Both just months out of there warranty period..

Never thrashed,never towed anything..

One had just blown a rod...Never worked out why..had loads of oil and water in(pre blow up!!!)
The other had dropped all its water out of the EGR cooler(we suspect),this in turn had overheated the engine.Then the head and block had warped and blown the head gasket...Engine scrapped..!!
Old 02 March 2008, 06:16 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

so the l200 isn't too reliable?
is it a head problem or a full engine build needed when it goes t1ts up? any idea on cost?
i guess an aftermarket warranty would cover the problem?
Old 02 March 2008, 06:34 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

If you want a pickup, buy a proper one and get a SINGLE cab- not one of the gay/blinged up double cabs , that you never see anyone sat in back of and cant carry bugger all in the pickup part. Also, single cabs are much less common and look 10 times better/meaner than the double cabs!
Old 02 March 2008, 07:31 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

It seems this problem is only affecting 03-04 models (at the moment) mostly.

I've seen new shape ones with 60k miles used for towing with no problems whatsoever and the new shape has only been out for 2 years, so 30k a year and they seem alright.

As with anything, you only hear about the bad ones.

Gay blinged up double cabs...you must mean the Navaras

Mine is used for work every day to carry my gear and to take the kids to school (can't do that in a single cab) and it goes off road very regularly and is fantastic at it too... no bling here - move along, nothing to see

Last edited by zip106; 02 March 2008 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02 March 2008, 07:46 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Just been chatting to a mate who's colleague at work is dumping his for a Skyline, reckons it won't cost much more to run !

DunxC
Old 02 March 2008, 08:18 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Depends on how old your mate is.
My insurance is £450 a year, includes all modifications, commercial use and off-roading etc.
Tank off fuel - £65 (depending on price per litre) and 350 -450 miles out of that (depending on driving style)
A set of AT tyres at £400 and you'll get 50 - 60k miles out of them.
Servicing every 12.5k miles (new shape) so about £1000 over 3 years or option of a service planfor £250+VAT (when new) for 3 years servicing.

Some people have had brake pads last for 40k+ miles,too.

In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't exactly call that expensive to run for a 2.5 ton 4wd truck. My Scoob and FRS cost more.
Old 03 March 2008, 01:36 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

I think some people on this thread think the new shape has the same engine as the last model....

They don't.
Old 03 March 2008, 07:33 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Location: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo
Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by zip106
Depends on how old your mate is.
My insurance is £450 a year, includes all modifications, commercial use and off-roading etc.
Tank off fuel - £65 (depending on price per litre) and 350 -450 miles out of that (depending on driving style)
A set of AT tyres at £400 and you'll get 50 - 60k miles out of them.
Servicing every 12.5k miles (new shape) so about £1000 over 3 years or option of a service planfor £250+VAT (when new) for 3 years servicing.

Some people have had brake pads last for 40k+ miles,too.

In the grand scheme of things, I wouldn't exactly call that expensive to run for a 2.5 ton 4wd truck. My Scoob and FRS cost more.
I have the animal (165bhp) double cab, I get an average of 31mpg. Get the £250 three year servcing deal and you cant go wrong, cost wise.

I was of the opinion that it was the old model had the engine problems, with the new model having a completely new design?

Andy
Old 03 March 2008, 09:56 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

In my scientific survey I found that drivers of Navaras tended to marry/have children with their own siblings. Ye HAAaaaaa..
I thought all pick-up owners did that
Old 03 March 2008, 05:34 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by andy97
I have the animal (165bhp) double cab, I get an average of 31mpg. Get the £250 three year servcing deal and you cant go wrong, cost wise.

I was of the opinion that it was the old model had the engine problems, with the new model having a completely new design?

Andy
I've got the Animal and so has Odds on (I think)

The new model engine is still a 4D56 engine in it's basic form but has been updated with common-rail technology, and has done away with the particular EGR that was causing the problems.
Therefore *should* be more reliable and IS cleaner and more efficient.
On the L200 Club there are 3000 plus members, mostly with the old shape trucks, and only a handful have had problems with the engines.

If I recall correctly, didn't Subaru have a few P1 engines blowing up at low miles?
It can happen to any car.
Old 03 March 2008, 05:35 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I thought all pick-up owners did that
I'd have a job!
Old 03 March 2008, 05:58 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just about to sell my company Navara. Its an 05 plate Aventura with all the goodies. I can say it has been the best company car I've owned. And I have owned a lot. I can't comment on the L200 but I have enjoyed driving the Navara as much as I have the Subaru or 350Z.
Old 03 March 2008, 06:08 PM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

I've got the Animal and so has Odds on (I think)

The new model engine is still a 4D56 engine in it's basic form but has been updated with common-rail technology, and has done away with the particular EGR that was causing the problems.
Therefore *should* be more reliable and IS cleaner and more efficient.
On the L200 Club there are 3000 plus members, mostly with the old shape trucks, and only a handful have had problems with the engines.
Interesting. I too was under the impression that they'd designed a whole new engine. Mind you, its so different to the old one that only a few common parts must be used.

And yes, I've got a new shape Animal.

Last edited by Odds on; 04 March 2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply: L200