Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Kia Ceed??

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2008, 07:57 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kia Ceed??

Found myself looking at these recent ad's thinking that it looks quite nice. Has anyone had any dealings with these?

What kind of engines etc do they have.

Cookie
Old 19 February 2008, 08:05 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

1.4 & 1.6 petrol and a few diesels iirc

HERE

Have to admit that despite it being a KIA, it's quite a good looking car

Dan
Old 19 February 2008, 08:06 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

The front reminds me a little of a Scoob
Old 19 February 2008, 08:15 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Gotta be honest i seen the ad on telly the other night an thought **** me a 7yr 100,000mile warranty and not a bad looking car, got pretty good reviews so far too-cant really go wrong an i generally hate kia`s.
Old 19 February 2008, 08:21 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

7 years!! I didnt hear that bit, looking even better now
Old 20 February 2008, 09:11 AM
wilffive
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Okay this is where I come out of the closet.

I went on holiday to the south of france in September last year. Booked myself an upgraded hire car. Didnt expect a lot coming from my M3.

Arrived at airport to be told I had a kia c'eed was v unhappy at the prospect (as didnt have any prior knowledge of them at all thought it would be usual korean nightmare)

Anyway short of it was that I was loaned the bigger output diesel motor in top of the range spec in which I covered 1000 miles. I have to say I really really liked the Kia over that 1000 miles really smooth and pokey motor, loads of equipment, v refined.

Only slight downsides were slightly choppy ride and not sharpest helm and some slightly dodgy dash plastics in a few places.

When I got back I dashed to my car mags as I was beginning to question my own judgement as to why I had fallen for this lemon - only to see the big car mags raving about it.

It easily compares with Golf, Leon, Focus as an all rounder - throw in the warranty and you've bagged a bargain.

I would have no hesitation in getting one or recommending one.
Old 20 February 2008, 09:29 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

I guess they spent so much money developing the technical aspects of the car so well, that they had no cash left to fund a marketing department to come up with a decent model name. They probably had to hire the same people who came up with the Nissan Cedric!
Old 20 February 2008, 09:34 AM
fatherpierre
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^^^^^

What he said.

i use one as a pool car via work now and then. They've caught up with euro cars and do the job well.

I had one about a month ago to do a 300 mile round trip and it compares with a Focus very well.

That warranty is worth its weight in gold. Interesting to see what happens 6 1/2 years down the line though.
Old 20 February 2008, 11:33 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Yup had a rental myself, a 1.6 CRDi did about 1000kms in it.

Upon seeing the key, I though oh no, what junk have I been given. Then saw, looked quite nice, sat inside, not bad, appears to be quite solid, and drove it, not bad either.

Its nothing sporting, so don't even think its going to be a driver's car. But as A to B commuting car its fine, Ride ok on motorway, handles ok on the lanes.

Only gripes I had is pretty much the same gripe I have with any modern car: Over sensitive brakes, twitchy steering, and over-assisted power steering, so no feel for the road. Probably slightly worse than a focus (although almost on par with the lardy new shape Focus ), but not as bad as say, a Renault Megane (which in comparison is absolutely horrible to drive). Oh and the driving position seems a little odd.

Good on fuel, but the CRdi is a bit gutless, pulls ok at low revs, but once the revs get high the torque disappears and also it has a overboost function (a annoying feature on many modern diesels) which only works for about 10seconds before lowering boost levels.

The CRdi engine looks like a copy of the Pug/Ford PSA 1.6 unit...All alloy, twin cam etc. Almost made me wonder if it was the same PSA unit.

Certainly a car worth considering for general no-frills commuting. New prices are high though, but it should be a bargain second hand - espcially with the 7 year warrantee.

Pity they toned down the looks of the xcee'd/ procee'd concept car (the 3 door version) for production, as that combined with a gutsy/torquey large capacity n/a petrol engine and sharpened handling and heavier controls would make a perfect hothatch....somehow I doubt Kia will ever realise that market potential

Last edited by Shark Man; 20 February 2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 20 February 2008, 11:49 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Pity they toned down the looks of the xcee'd/ procee'd concept car (the 3 door version) for production, as that combined with a gutsy/torquey large capacity n/a petrol engine and sharpened handling and heavier controls would make a perfect hothatch....somehow I doubt Kia will ever realise that market potential
Spoke too soon:
Autocar - Hot Kias to be called XR

Still, doesn't have the looks of the concept car though

Last edited by Shark Man; 20 February 2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 22 February 2008, 09:05 PM
gazman
Scooby Regular

was given a diesel Ceed as a courtesy car last week (not sure of exact spec)

Wasn't looking forward to driving it

Couldn't have been more wrong,the car was really nice to drive,did mainly motorway and found it reasonably comfortable.

Pulled well,overtook well

Modern well lit dash with all the controls to hand

Sort of reminded me of a Golf to look at from certain angles.

Debadged, I would almost go and buy one