Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Sexy Diesel Estates (Oxymoron or what??)

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2002, 04:02 PM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible job change means I'll be hitting the miles and the mileage allowance just isn't Scoob-friendly (whose boot isn't too kid friendly either!). Thinking of carrying on opting out but swapping my MY00 4 door for something like an imported BMW 330D Sport Touring or Audi Avant 2.5TDi Quattro. Anyone had any experience on (importing or otherwise) either of these motors (both are pretty new incarnations I know) or suggest anything else (A6 Allroad Diesel, BMW X5 Diesel maybe...???)

Greg
Old 22 January 2002, 04:54 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Greg,

330D Sport Touring looks the Dogs Danglies. I've got a saloon 330D Sport, and if anything the Touring is better proportioned. Have heard that the latest steering changes have made the car better, but still not quite to everyones liking.

I had 2 Scoobs prior to the Beemer, and I have to say that for 95% of the time, the BMW is soooo much better it's daft. In addition you have a great dealer network, twice the time between services (and they're cheaper) and loads of Quality. what more do you need.

I think that you can pick up an imported Touring for about 24K from places like Motorpoint etc.

Matt
Old 22 January 2002, 05:00 PM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Matt. Must admit I'm swaying the way of the 330D at the moment. I know I'll miss the Scoobs performance but the 330D Sport does look the business (not seen the touring version in the flesh yet though) and is positively palatial inside compared to the Impreza... Fancying leather, Harmon Kardon Audio and Sat Nav with TV..Yummmm!
Old 22 January 2002, 05:54 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

I have a 330d touring, and bought it purely because I think it looks better than the saloon. The performance difference isn't as meteoric as you'd think in everyday driving.

I looked at the Audi 2.5TDi, nice but noiser and slower than than BM.
Old 23 January 2002, 10:00 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

I've an A4 Avant 1.9 TDi - just got it before christmas as a mile muncher and tow car (managed 2000 miles in 3 weeks already - just about a whole tank of diesel )

If you want an opinion on it, let me know....

Old 23 January 2002, 10:02 AM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Chhers for that Gary. Was there much difference in the insurance when compared to the Scoob. Think the 330D Touring is only one group lower..
Old 23 January 2002, 10:04 AM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jon. Yes, whaddya think of the Audi? If I opt into the company car scheme that's probably the model I'd end up with as the scheme won't run to a 2.5..

Greg
Old 23 January 2002, 10:29 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

ok, you asked for it

I previously had an integra type-r, prior to that, an elise (just so you know where i'm coming from). I wanted a dedicated track car to do track days and the occasional race this year, and probably a full season next year. I (and my wife) have a bit of insurance history (a magnetic attraction to tyre walls and the like), so I didnt want a road car and therefore needed something to tow it with - a reliable, diesel estate, and not too huge - more a "lifestyle estate" (volvo v70, a4 avant) than a small truck (v40, a6). So we set a budget and tried a few and bought the Audi 1.9 mainly on the strength of its engine - the VAG and BMW diesels do seem to be in a class of their own.

Picked the Audi up in Anglesy then drove to London - Kent - Lincoln - Scotland W coast - London, in two weeks. As a motorway cruiser it's stunning - comfy, 50-55 mpg at ~80 mph, you can hear the stereo, you get out at the other end and you feel fine - a completely alien experience after the 'teg and the elise. The engine (115bhp @ about 300 rpm ) is excellent and has more than enough grunt, and you wouldnt know its a diesel when you're inside.

Audi service (main reason for the a4 over the passat) is excellent - i wanted something looked at and it gets done. I get the feeling that if I had a problem, they'd solve it as thats what they do. Reassuring when you spent a few bob on a car.

However, as an "evo" car, its total and complete rubbish. Understeer city, steering is totally disconnected from the car, brakes are inconsistant - sometimes sharp, sometimes dull, and the whole car gives an impression of shouting "whoooaaaaa there" if you try to push on a bit. The tyres (P6000's) dont help - in the wet you get the traction control and the abs cutting all the time. Up in scotland there is a road that I know that's like a rally stage - you drive down from high ground, so you can see for miles and miles. It was perfect in the 'teg - couple of times I chased the locals in their souped up 205's, who got very upset when they couldnt leave me. In the Audi you have to get used to being the guy who pulls over to let people past....

The "positive" side to this is that you dont (at least I dont) feel the need to blast around at warp speed everywhere - I can sit on the motorway at 70 -80, I can sit at 60 in a 60, I'm happy for people to overtake, etc, etc. In the teg and elise you're so involved in the driving that thats all you think about when you're behind the wheel - which has its pros and cons. I'm very tired of driving on roads now (especially in the south east), and am pretty much of the view that a performance car is totally pointless and usually dangerous to others.

So, if you're looking for a scoob replacement then look again (unless its an RS4 I guess). But if you're after a comfy, reliable, practical, economical car then I cant think of anything better.

And (just to make the point that i'm not a boring fart that you should ignore ) I picked up the 205, ready to race, on Monday. Donnington, Anglesy and Castle Coombe are already booked, I've just still to decide whether i'm going for Modified Production Saloons, Castle Coombe Saloon cars or the 750MC stock hatch series...

jon

[Edited by jon hill - 1/23/2002 10:30:32 AM]
Old 23 January 2002, 10:40 AM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jon, top man! I really appreciate it. Know what you mean about roads here in the south east by the way. The feeling of being "under threat" from plod in a performance car gets to you after a while. I think I could do a lot worse than the Audi from what you've said. Love the look of the A4 Avant but I'm kind of preferring the BMW as their diesels sound like they're a bit gutsier and it's that compromise of a quick and sensible motor rolled into one that I'm looking for. Your luxury of a track car too is a great solution, wish I could do it too. Probably could just about afford it but the Missus would tend to disagree!! I was sorely tempted by the ads for the Works prepared Cooper which also bought you into their race series. Maybe someday, eh!

Greg

Old 23 January 2002, 10:54 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

yep - if you want one car as the replacement for your scoob, then the 330d is the way to go. I was after a 325d touring to start with, but couldnt find one at sensible money.

But the costs are a funny one - an A4 1.9 tdi avant, plus a £3000 racecar will probably be cheaper...

Old 23 January 2002, 04:13 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

The other one to look at is a Volvo V70 TDi -- more torque than a T5 (over 250 lb-ft) and pretty quick with it. They use a 5-cylinder Audi diesel, breathed on by Volvo. Driven one briefly, goes very well.
Old 23 January 2002, 06:41 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Greg - insurance is about the same but it is worth twice what I sold the impreza for!
Old 24 January 2002, 10:09 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

mmm v70

i had a good look at them, but at the end of the day its really a mitsu carisma with a neat body shell. Doesnt have anything like the solidity of the a4 (test drive a 3 year old car and you'll see what i mean)

also the diesels are "old school" in comparison with the vag unit, although i think ford are just about to bring out a common rail lump (and they use the 1.9 vag unit in the galaxy)

v70's tend to be quite a bit cheaper though

The only other real alternative was the Pug 406 HDi
Old 24 January 2002, 11:06 AM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Its the V40 that is based on the Carisma - the V70 was bespoke!

If you can't run to a 330d or audi 2.5 TDI, what about the new 320d? Supposed to be a cracker - 150 bhp and 230lb/ft - shames the 1.9 VAG unit.

Falling that, look at a Passat 2.5tdi, probably around the same price as the audi 1.9!
Old 24 January 2002, 11:08 AM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

ah - i stand corrected

the thing with the v40 is thats its huge in comparison with the a4 / v70 type things

got to agree with the 2.5 passat vs 1.9 a4 though

i guess the other option, for low cost is the 1.9 octavia although this is based on the a3 platform

Old 24 January 2002, 01:39 PM
GregD
Scooby Regular

Thanks Guys, you're awesome! (sorry, been working for an American company too long and you pick up these kind of expressions, but you are anyway!).Found out a bit more today and it looks like there's no opt out ("to stop you taking the money and running around in a fiesta"... like as if!!). As a result looks like a 320d touring or a4 avant 1.9tdi will be as flash as it gets. Could be a lot worse I guess (although I'd set my heart on the 330d Sport Touring with the tasty 18" M Sport Alloys as standard - the boy racer in me won't go away!). Maybe I can talk them into letting me find my own car to meet their price and go and hit Trade Sales and the like (just bought the Missus a new Clio from there... with hindsight wish it'd been a 172 as an outlet for my "Evo-ness" as whatever happens the Scoob looks to be on the way out!).

Greg
Old 24 January 2002, 05:22 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Greg,

Sounds like work might have you with this one! Going back to what Gary said about the 320D. It's now not a huge amount slower than a 330D, it's just missing the 6 cylinder soundtrack! I bet you could get the MV alloys on a 320 if you asked nicely. You'd also get the Harmon Kardon and leather sports pack etc if you wanted!

BTW, I'm not knocking the Audi, because I had a 1.9TDI sport A3 before the 330D, and it was ace. The latest 130Bhp ones are meant to be brilliant too!

Matt
Old 25 January 2002, 03:48 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

I want to know when this conversion will be available on the 3 series. Isn't it the same engine?

http://www.alpina.de/english/automobiles/index_e.htm

Of course, price is a separate issue...

BJH