Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

M3

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2002, 02:03 PM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Had me P1 for nearly a year, getting bored and looking at a '99 M3. Any ideas what to look for as i no nothing about them.
Any thoughts, am i stupid etc
Ian
Old 22 January 2002, 06:11 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

A 99 will be an E36 M3, not a great car. More of a GT than a sports car. After a P1 you will be impressed with quality, finish, build, 'kit' and responsiveness, but it won't thrill like a P1 can. Now an E46 M3 - different league
Old 22 January 2002, 09:15 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Had mine (E36 Evolution) for over 6 months now, after selling the Scoob.

Pro's:
Comfort
Luxury
Toys - proper climate control!
Pulls away from ANY production Scoob on the motorway (incl P1)
Loads of torque
No lag
Don't get hassled off baseball cap brigade
Six speed box!

Cons:
Needs more concentration than Scoob - especially in the rain
Service / Parts cost
Insurance group 20
Not as practical
Slower 'off the line'
No Scoobysport zaust for M3!
EVO prone to *occasional* stalls believe it or not

I do love my M3, but I on the same note I also miss my Scoob, especially the the reassurance and handling of the 4 wheel drive.

I'll test-drive the E46 M3 but, I doubt I'll get one - at the moment I've decided I want luxury AND four wheel drive, so will look at 911 C4 or Audi RS4.

-DV
Old 22 January 2002, 10:02 PM
Big Bear
Scooby Regular

Ian
Thought you were going for a Lotus Sunbeam for a bit of fun and give the P1 to the misses ?
Old 22 January 2002, 10:27 PM
DaveMiddleton
Scooby Regular

I sold my MY 00 Subaru mid last year and bought an M3 Evo which for most things is a wonderful car and I was debating ordering a new one. However we had bad snow for about 2-3 weeks in Aberdeen and the car was totally paralysed ( I used a Merc G Wagon which was luckily available)as I live at the top of reasonable hill.
That has put me off the M3 in general although build quality, specification, speed at medium to upper end and fuel economy are magnificent.However I am soon to sell it.
I have bought (but do not get for 2 months) a friend`s R34 Skyline GTR V Spec with intercooler and Nismo exhaust plus induction kit (dynoed at 420BHP)and has only done 4000miles. Better for Aberdeen conditions but without that to consider, an M3 takes some beating.
Old 22 January 2002, 11:37 PM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Dave,

I found exactly the same - my M3 coudn't get out of the garage over Christmas. My Scoob never once had that problem.

Hope you enjoy the Skyline.
Old 23 January 2002, 08:01 AM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

You Can`t go wrong with the M3....
To start with it is a BMW so it is built properly and open up the bonnet and you will see a little metal plate that says BMW Motorsport GMBH...What more do you need.
I used have a proper E30 M3 and drove a few E36 M3 at club events and was impressed,I nearly bought one instead of my Evo VI but I live about half a mile from BMW GB so they are even more common than scoobs.
Old 23 January 2002, 09:41 AM
NOZZER
Scooby Regular

Thank you for your reply's.
Hopefully snow is not an issue in bristol, all we ever get is rain and some, i've had my fun in the P1 and would no doubt miss it but i'm doing more motorway millege and need a bit more refinement as im nearly 30
The proof will be when i test drive the car. I might hate it and want to keep the P1 although
I've been brought up on rear wheel drive cars so look forward to that again.
Dave, i cant find a decent sunbeam, although the m3 will still be an Exmoor goer
Any more thoughts?
Ian
Old 23 January 2002, 10:34 AM
DazV
Scooby Regular

Ian,

The M3 is a great motorway compared to the P1.
When you test drive, don't be put off by the different power delivery - putting your foot down in the M3 is a totally different p experience to the P1. The M3 is smooth and feels slower on the uptake but as you watch the revs creep around the power just keeps on coming and coming to the redline.

-DV
Old 24 January 2002, 10:25 PM
neo
Scooby Regular

Nozzer i sold my STI v5 type R 6 months back and got a M3 evo coupe on a 98s, and i love mine, yeah not so good in snow or rain but it no problem yust ease of a bit, and if you want to be a hooligan on the way home from work you can,with sturdier residuels than scoobs at the moment,there definatly a contender the proof is in the pudding, try one out you will like it im sure..