ML - GL Quandry

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2008, 06:39 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ML - GL Quandry

Ok, i am in a bit of a quandry.

I went today to just look at the new XF & proceed to tell myself i needed a new 4x4

So off on the hunt i went, Land Rover Sport, Cayenne, Touareg, ML & GL, Q7, X5

Out of the above i fancied the Sport, Q7 & the two mercs. All was going well until the sales guy at Mercedes told me about the special finance offer they have on a the moment. 5k Deposit & a New ML320 for £439 a month over 24 months with a balloon at then end or the GL320 for £479 same terms. Both new cars & both available for delivery by the end of March.

I nearly collapsed, so basically its between the ML & the GL. I have booked the ML to take away with me next saturday for the day & i will get a test drive on the GL when i get back as they dont have a demo.

So looking at them both & listing what i need from the cars;

Diesel
At least 200bhp
Auto
Sat Nav
Space for at least 2 adults & 2 kids
Space for 2 dogs if required & the ability to fit a dog guard.
Towbar for pulling the quads & this summers purchase the Jetbike.

Both of them can do it quite comfortably & hopefully with ease.

ML looks lovely but the GL just looks like a big bruiser.

Lets see what the test drives give me.

Oh & the spec i am looking at is the Sport.

Bring on next Saturday.

Ps BMW what have you done to the X5, its disgusting. Its the only one of the above i didnt take a brochure for.

Last edited by sti-04!!; 09 February 2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09 February 2008, 07:08 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Have you considered contract hire for the GL? There are some ridiculous deals at the moment. From memory, circa £379 a month on a 3+23.

My next door neighbour bought a new ML when they came out, and it was a hell of a lot better than the old one. He's just changed it for a GL and its absolutely massive!

Having said all that, if you don't need a 4x4, try a 535d sport touring- stupidly quick and similar interior space. It probs won't depreciate at the same rate as the GL either

Hope this helps,
Simon
Old 09 February 2008, 07:09 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

sorry, forgot to add Car leasing & contract hire special offers provided by ContractHireAndLeasing.com
Old 09 February 2008, 07:15 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RRH
Have you considered contract hire for the GL? There are some ridiculous deals at the moment. From memory, circa £379 a month on a 3+23.

My next door neighbour bought a new ML when they came out, and it was a hell of a lot better than the old one. He's just changed it for a GL and its absolutely massive!

Having said all that, if you don't need a 4x4, try a 535d sport touring- stupidly quick and similar interior space. It probs won't depreciate at the same rate as the GL either

Hope this helps,
Simon

Thanks Simon. The GL is massive, its obviously aimed at the US market.

I have had a 535d tourer, i really enjoyed it but i also like changing my vehicles, whatever 4x4 i pick will be staying for the minimum term as i have a 645i just for farting around in.

Thanks for the info though

Also with it being a balloon the residuals dont bother me.
Old 09 February 2008, 07:25 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

No worries

Cayenne Turbo's a hoot if you can do the right deal and aren't too bothered about consumption. I had one a couple of years back, and loved it to bits, although the running costs are, how shall i put it, 'sobering'
Old 09 February 2008, 07:27 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RRH
No worries

Cayenne Turbo's a hoot if you can do the right deal and aren't too bothered about consumption. I had one a couple of years back, and loved it to bits, although the running costs are, how shall i put it, 'sobering'
Had that as well I have also had the RR TDV8 but that got written off July last year.
Old 09 February 2008, 07:30 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I have to admit the Cayenne was something special, it was debadged & the look on some of the 'yoofs faces when i floored it past them at nice speeds were priceless. One fo the reasons i went looking again but i dont fancy it.
Diesel is now preference

Trending Topics

Old 10 February 2008, 08:22 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Just been on there, took the blinkers off & i cant believe the prices.

Mercedes are asking 7k deposit & £439 x 24 for the ML320 Cdi sport. Some of the leasing companys are asking for around the same obviously + vat but i can sort that & only 3 x payments up front.

Do you reckon this is a good idea ?
Old 10 February 2008, 08:53 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

With the current state of the economy I, personally, would be very wary of getting involved with a potentially heavy depreciator.

I tend to look at the cheapest way of getting it on my drive and have never been to bothered about owning cars (there have been exceptions though) as I'm excellent at buying them but it never goes quite to plan when I come to sell.

With contract hire you know exactly what your costs are going to be over the period. If they put road tax up to £1000 it doesn't affect you. If the predicted recession is as bad as many suggest then the top end of the market will be dropping big cars- as is suggested by the sensible deals for this type of vehicle.

I have always used the general rule of thumb 'buy things that appreciate, lease (contract hire) things that depreciate'. Its served me well over the years- until I discovered Ferraris that is..... but that's another story altogether.
Old 10 February 2008, 09:00 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Simon,

Thanks for the input, i suppose the blinkers were on yesterday because i couldnt believe the deal, in times gone by i used to just buy in cash but i learned my lesson when the RR got written off. Finance or until now lease would be the sensible option i reckon.

Ferrari's on that note when i was in the dealers yesterday someone was in with a 430 spyder & another client was in with a Phantom. Money was awash everywhere.