Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

isit true a Skyline R33 GTR engine can take....

Search this Thread

Old 07 February 2008, 10:16 PM
japsrool
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default isit true a Skyline R33 GTR engine can take....

isit true a Skyline R33 GTR engine can take upto 600hp on standard engine? that is unbelievable. i knw a guy local to me who is running 420hp on a standrd one, but does that mean becuse they are quite heavy the power is divided into its weight which makes it equivalant to a 240hp wrx?

thanks
Old 08 February 2008, 12:19 AM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

I know they can take a lot of bhp on stock internals but not sure how much exactly. A 420 bhp skyline will have a much higher power to weight than a 240 bhp wrx. The weight difference will be in the region of 300kg iirc but with it having 180 more bhp than the wrx you mentioned it will keep a bigger hp/weight ratio. Rough estimated at power/weight are skyline 420/1.5 (tonne) =280 bhp per tonne wrx 240/1.2=200 hp per tonne so a fair difference
Old 08 February 2008, 12:44 AM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Neilo was running 425bhp in his with only very basic mods & an apexi power fc He's now gone for bigger turbos, injectors, cams and a remap so watch this space but the engine hasn't been opened up yet and the car is 12 years old plus

Cliff (V5 MAN) is now running 365bhp & 352lbft at 1 bar with just a boost controller and his AFR's are now safer than they were on standard boost which is 0.6bar
Old 08 February 2008, 07:21 AM
drb5
Scooby Regular

They can take 600hp yes, but the 34 is known for taking 600hp for longer.
Old 08 February 2008, 08:54 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

I used to see a guy at BAT days quite a lot with an R33 GTR and he used to run about 450bhp, apparently this was about the max for track use as heat and engine wear would quickly take over at higher power. But on the road with only short sharp bursts of power I guess you could run a bit more.

I think his main problem was the brakes, every time i saw him he had upgraded them and they were still not good enough for a hard 20 min session!
Old 08 February 2008, 10:55 AM
skinters
Scooby Regular

It's surprising how well some engines are built - the skyline engine is seriously sold but:

Assuming by standard do you mean 'internals', a totally stock Saab 9k engine (2.3Litre 4 pot) will run 475bhp daily no worries without even popping the lid off. (cams do help to get the big numbers admittedly) It can be taken to 500bhp on stock but it's getting pretty pushed by then and more for short bursts.
Just dont mention the gearbox...
Old 08 February 2008, 11:33 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

An RB26Dett will run 600bhp without being openened up but probably wouldn't last too long, a lot depends on the mapping.

My old R33 gtr was running 550 on stock internals which is about the safe limit. My R34 was only running 500 again on stock internals.

Thing is, most of the 33's and 32's will have over 60k on the clock so taking power above 500 will normally mean a rebuild is needed fairly soon.

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 08 February 2008, 01:01 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

The bottom ends of quite a few older engines were able to handle far more power than they originally came with, simply because in the days before computer analysis they tended to be massively over engineered

It was always the design of the heads and/or ancillaries that let the side down when it came to tuning. A problem that particular engine has never had, even back in it's early days powering the 240Z
Old 08 February 2008, 01:59 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I'm with Chris (seeing as I know how much experience he has of these things). I've just bought a set of HKS GT-SS turbos which I'm planning on using with lairier cams (plus all the supporting mods) for ~500bhp. Mine is currently "stage 1" which is intake, full exhaust (including de-cat), Apexi PowerFC and AVC-R for more boost (0.9 bar) which puts the expected power output into the high 300's/low 400's depending on car. Other than an uprated headgasket, I don't expect to need any uprated parts but I'll probably need to do a refresh at some point in which case it would be wise to use uprated parts.
Old 08 February 2008, 08:45 PM
japsrool
BANNED

the skylines are amazing, very robust engines 500hp would keep me very happy lol if i had 1.
Old 08 February 2008, 09:06 PM
BIG FUD
Scooby Regular

Smile ......

They ok if u like top end speed but apart from that 600bhp is a must if u want 0-60 speed i smoked a few 600 bhp skylines well so they said ...
Old 08 February 2008, 10:08 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mark ward
They ok if u like top end speed but apart from that 600bhp is a must if u want 0-60 speed i smoked a few 600 bhp skylines well so they said ...
Skyline's aren't nippy. They need revs and are tall geared so they don't deliver the power like a Scooby. That said, the spec I'm looking at for mine gives something like 200bhp @ 3000rpm, so that's a lot more bottom/nid-range than stock. If you chase the bigger power numbers, it's all made above 4000rpm (or higher).
Old 08 February 2008, 10:11 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
I'm with Chris (seeing as I know how much experience he has of these things). I've just bought a set of HKS GT-SS turbos which I'm planning on using with lairier cams (plus all the supporting mods) for ~500bhp. Mine is currently "stage 1" which is intake, full exhaust (including de-cat), Apexi PowerFC and AVC-R for more boost (0.9 bar) which puts the expected power output into the high 300's/low 400's depending on car. Other than an uprated headgasket, I don't expect to need any uprated parts but I'll probably need to do a refresh at some point in which case it would be wise to use uprated parts.
Good choice of turbo's, had GT-SS on my 34 and they're superb, very liitle lag and best turbo by far if your going for around the 500 mark. If you haven't bought cams yet, tomei poncams rock I'd stick a fuel pump on for good measure.

I'd also recommend a greddy profec boost controller, have been warned off the AVCR by a few people in the know.
Old 08 February 2008, 10:16 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris singleton
Good choice of turbo's, had GT-SS on my 34 and they're superb, very liitle lag and best turbo by far if your going for around the 500 mark. If you haven't bought cams yet, tomei poncams rock I'd stick a fuel pump on for good measure.

I'd also recommend a greddy profec boost controller, have been warned off the AVCR by a few people in the know.
Aye, I saw your dyno run in Jap Performance Mag. I was trying to decide between the Poncams and the Jun 272's (sacrifice some bottom end for top end) but I've been told they're a bit tricky to set up and noisy due to being regrinds rather than blanks.

I want to get rid of the AVC-R as I don't think it helps spool up at all. Was going to ask advice on GTR.co.uk about the PowerFC boost controller or something else. I'm running an RC Developments map at the moment but I'll probably get Rod Bell to map it once I've got all the bits fitted (pump, reg, injectors, MAF's, cams, turbos and head gasket).
Old 08 February 2008, 10:17 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Agreed that gearing on skylines is very tall, if that's the right word.

In the 33 and 34 I didn't really need more than 3 gears to waste most things

Very different power delivery to a scooby but awesome cars and one day I'll have another 34 when funds permit
Old 08 February 2008, 10:23 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
Aye, I saw your dyno run in Jap Performance Mag. I was trying to decide between the Poncams and the Jun 272's (sacrifice some bottom end for top end) but I've been told they're a bit tricky to set up and noisy due to being regrinds rather than blanks.

I want to get rid of the AVC-R as I don't think it helps spool up at all. Was going to ask advice on GTR.co.uk about the PowerFC boost controller or something else. I'm running an RC Developments map at the moment but I'll probably get Rod Bell to map it once I've got all the bits fitted (pump, reg, injectors, MAF's, cams, turbos and head gasket).
Not heard a single bad word about RB Motorsport on any of the skyline forums so you can't go wrong with them IMHO.

For the sort of power you want to run, you can't beat tomei poncams.

A lot of skyline tuners swear by the greddy boost controller, had one on both my skylines and my last 2 scoobs as well. In the process of ordering one for my new scoob as not happy with the hks jobbie I'm running.

Assume you're up North somewhere, otherwise I'd be pimping tweeneirob and perfect touch