Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pah-my humble mondeo would see that of no trouble
Old 18 December 2007, 10:54 PM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Never been i fan myself.
It never ceases to amaze me how relatively few ponys the Americans can squeeze out of such big engine blocks.

I remember TG reviewing one of these and not being very impressed with it though they also had a an independent tuning house version there which was far better – had a LSD amongst other toys IIRC.
Old 18 December 2007, 11:25 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

If only it was RHD.
Old 18 December 2007, 11:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it WAS RWD!!??
Old 18 December 2007, 11:55 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

It is
Old 19 December 2007, 02:23 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by pippyrips
It never ceases to amaze me how relatively few ponys the Americans can squeeze out of such big engine blocks.
Thing is though pippy, when they are putting out more torque at idle than most euro/jap cars can muster at their peaks, the fact that they don't rev high enough to make silly power numbers is largely irrelevant

Having said that I'm not a big fan of Mustangs* either, I'd take a Corvette or a Monaro over one every time

Shelby GT350s excepted, obviously
Old 19 December 2007, 08:35 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
Thing is though pippy, when they are putting out more torque at idle than most euro/jap cars can muster at their peaks, the fact that they don't rev high enough to make silly power numbers is largely irrelevant
I'd understand if only this were true.

The torque figures (given the cc) on US cars are nothing to write home about either.

They simply don't develop their engines and are WAY behind engines from Germany and Japan.

HOWEVER, there is a reason for this, they don't NEED to develop their engines as fuel costs aren't high (historically of course!)
2ndly, the US prefer long service intervals and high mileage so engines that are low stressed require less maintenance to last a long time.
Old 19 December 2007, 09:37 AM
pippyrips
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
I'd understand if only this were true.

The torque figures (given the cc) on US cars are nothing to write home about either.

They simply don't develop their engines and are WAY behind engines from Germany and Japan.

HOWEVER, there is a reason for this, they don't NEED to develop their engines as fuel costs aren't high (historically of course!)
2ndly, the US prefer long service intervals and high mileage so engines that are low stressed require less maintenance to last a long time.
Dracoro is right you know
Old 19 December 2007, 09:45 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I thought it WAS RWD!!??

rHd Pete, they are all left hookers!
Old 19 December 2007, 10:33 AM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro

I'd dispute that the engines are 'behind' as such, and that they're simply developed with different design goals in mind. Measured by those goals they are just as advanced as any other engine design.

I don't see 7-year 100,000 mile warranties on vehicles sold over here, let alone lifetime powertrain warranties - horses for courses.
Old 19 December 2007, 10:38 AM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Ford have always been marginally behind on their engines. Their modular v8s have always underperformed unless in an extreme high tune state: But when they are in a high state of tune, they do perform. But they cheat like the Europeans and use forced induction

For example for a short time, the world's fastest production car was a Koeniggsesgggsesgg powered by a Ford 4.7 V8 - albeit supercharged to 800bhp.

GM motors currently uses more advanced metallurgy in their GenIV engines on par and in some cases surpassing Jap an EU manufacturers. The advanced castings, and pistons (more advanced than Subaru's...they don't melt! ), rods and cylinder head designs has resulted in a series of engines using a very basic valvetrain having huge cylinder capacities and yet providing very wide and flexible powerbands that revs up to 7000rpm, but still has lots of torque at 1500rpm. Yet a turn key engine assembly weighs less than a comparable Rover V8 which is half the capacity, produces typically a third of the power ( ), and is by far less fuel efficient.

Not to mention respectable peak figures for any normally aspirated engine without the need for complex valvetrains.

However, when supercharged, power figuers further improve - massively, as these engines often can run a aftermarket supercharger without needing to reduce the compression ratios (reducing off boost power and economy- i.e scooby-ville). That's having a cake AND eating

Last edited by Shark Man; 19 December 2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 19 December 2007, 12:31 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I love them, especially Roush versions.

Nick
Old 19 December 2007, 05:08 PM
Probein
Scooby Regular

Certainly one of the best looking cars ever created (imo).

Though I've heard the Shelby version isn't all it's cracked up to be. Apparently the suspension is just rubbish and results in terrible handling.

The Roush, on the other hand, has uprated fitted and apparently benefits massively from it. Although it is quite a lot more expensive.

Either way, it's still one of the coolest cars on the road and I'd love to have one.
Old 19 December 2007, 08:04 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
rHd Pete, they are all left hookers!
I know .... I realised how daft I was when I came back to it

Dyslexia set in ...
Old 19 December 2007, 08:42 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

wouldn't this suit you better - PINK FORD KA 1998 ON THE R PLATE IN BARBIE PINK PINK on eBay, also, Ford, Cars, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 26-Dec-07 17:43:42 GMT)
Old 19 December 2007, 09:09 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

I did some research into getting a Mustang after a recent trip to the states, it is possible to have them converted to RHD, but reckon on about 5k for it..... or, you can buy kits, i could have bought 2 kits, for about 2.5k, the initial idea was to import two cars ina container, convert the first, sell it, then convert the second, and keep it.... the idea being that the first car would at least pay for the cost of the kits and the time to convert the second...

Never did it though, i decided that the Mustang was just too big for the roads around where it would be used......!