Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Focus ST

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2007, 08:48 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Focus ST

Are these any good? I have read a little about them and they seem OK.

But a mate of mine has one and thinks he will waste me in mine (UK Turbo 2000), granted, mine isn't an STI, however I am very confident I would have the edge!

Also got a mate with an Astra VXR, how do they shape up? I know they have a lot of power but only 2WD?
Old 06 December 2007, 08:55 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

Straight line he may just tip it in the Focus Asbo, but in the twisties he wouldn't stand a chance

Not so sure about the VXR, but I suspect it may be a similar story
Old 06 December 2007, 09:02 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

I thought the 0 - 60 time for a focus was a little slower ?
Old 06 December 2007, 09:11 PM
hrness
Scooby Regular

focus st 0 to 60 new one i believe is 6.5 so should be slower. figs from one of the mags
Old 07 December 2007, 08:49 AM
markymark34
Scooby Regular

I have driven several focus st's. Comfort level is way above what you would expect. Really surprised me. Straight line acceleration i would put in the same category as my 330d (remapped), not even close to the STI. Cornering was a bit iffy! you just dont realise how much grip you get from the scooby till you drive something else. The ST can easily be mapped up to about 265bhp but i would say it would be very difficult to use on the twistys.

sub 20mpg as well.
Go and hassle lyndsays for a test drive, id be interested to see what you think compared to a WRX.

Mark

Last edited by markymark34; 07 December 2007 at 03:26 PM. Reason: cant spel
Old 07 December 2007, 10:03 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Sub 20mpg? The trip computer in mine says the mpg hasn't dropped below 21.7 yet and that's after a good cross country blat, after a long motorway run it goes up to just under 30mpg, however take it on track and you're looking at sub 10mpg

Have a look on Focus ST Owners Club for lots of info, they can easily be remapped to 265/285/330bhp, the majority of owners on the ST site have had some performance enhancing mods (me included) and the level of knowledge on there is immense.

I wouldn't be so sure that your mate would waste you in his Scoob as the ST is a very, very good car and handles beautifully, it all depends on who's driving it

Last edited by Scoobychick; 07 December 2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07 December 2007, 10:13 AM
Jimpreza
Scooby Regular

I have a 2003 wrx standard. I am currently saving for an astra vxr. Imo they look awesome and i've had a few run ins with them and have come off second best. I had a test drive of the vxr and st and the vxr seemed quicker than the st when flat out. It was damp as well in the vxr when i kept flooring it in third expecting it too wheel spin/torque steer all over the place and it was fine. I only had issued when flooring it with quite a bit of lock on. Just need to put the power down a bit smoother and later than I can in the scoob.
Old 07 December 2007, 12:40 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
I wouldn't be so sure that your mate would waste you in his Scoob as the ST is a very, very good car and handles beautifully, it all depends on who's driving it
Sorry for the confusion, I meant that my mate has a Focus ST and I have the Impreza
Old 07 December 2007, 03:26 PM
markymark34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobychick
Sub 20mpg? The trip computer in mine says the mpg hasn't dropped below 21.7 yet and that's after a good cross country blat, after a long motorway run it goes up to just under 30mpg, however take it on track and you're looking at sub 10mpg

Have a look on Focus ST Owners Club for lots of info, they can easily be remapped to 265/285/330bhp, the majority of owners on the ST site have had some performance enhancing mods (me included) and the level of knowledge on there is immense.

Is your car standard?
An ST would be the only car from the current crop of hot hatches that i would concider trading in the STI for but had been put of by the 16mpg (same as the STI) claims.
Old 07 December 2007, 04:04 PM
exvaux
Scooby Regular

plus the price of them seems to be dropping like a stone,seen plenty going cheaper than the older focus RS
Old 07 December 2007, 05:04 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by teamheath2
But a mate of mine has one and thinks he will waste me in mine (UK Turbo 2000), granted, mine isn't an STI, however I am very confident I would have the edge!

?
Er, no, your car has 176 bhp per tonne, his has 162. No one will "waste" anyone with that difference! It'll be down to who gets their foot on it first.

You will have significantly more traction in the first two gears though. Sts are limited in their torque in 1st and second, you aren't. So, I would anticipate you having the edge.

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 08 December 2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07 December 2007, 09:28 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Er, no, your car has 176 bhp per tonne, his has 162. No one will "waste" anyone with that difference! It'll be down to who gets there foot on it first.Ns04
ALRIGHT !! Only asking the question and putting my thoughts across !!
Old 08 December 2007, 02:01 PM
New_scooby_04

ALRIGHT !! Only asking the question and putting my thoughts across !!
No offence intended mate; didn't mean it aggressively, in any case it was more directed at the person who said he would "waste" your Scooby, than you.... if you see what I mean!

Ns04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 08 December 2007 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08 December 2007, 05:59 PM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
No offence intended mate; didn't mean it aggressively, in any case it was more directed at the person who said he would "waste" your Scooby, than you.... if you see what I mean!

Ns04
No Dramas
Old 10 December 2007, 10:50 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

I have an ST and average 22mpg. Yes, it is pants, but few owners get below 20mpg, then again, few get above 25mpg. The average average does seem to be about 22-23mpg.

And mine is mapped via Bluefin to 275 bhp and it's a good fun car. mpg did not change when I increased hp and torque via Bluefin. While the Scooby beats it is some areas the Focus is a better built, higher quality car, with far nicer seats (Recaro's), great lights (xenons), a decent stereo, good options and while the values are coming down it is nowhere near as bad as my 54 plate WRX that I had, I paid less as well, and all in all will be a better purchase than my WRX.

I enjoy driving it. It may not go round corners as well but this is more down to any driver than the car, yet it excels in other areas. A good fun car.

Plus it is nice to change every now and then.
Old 10 December 2007, 11:45 AM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markymark34
Is your car standard?
An ST would be the only car from the current crop of hot hatches that i would concider trading in the STI for but had been put of by the 16mpg (same as the STI) claims.
Yeah, mine is standard apart from the exhaust
Old 10 December 2007, 09:32 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
I have an ST and average 22mpg. Yes, it is pants, but few owners get below 20mpg, then again, few get above 25mpg. The average average does seem to be about 22-23mpg.

And mine is mapped via Bluefin to 275 bhp and it's a good fun car. mpg did not change when I increased hp and torque via Bluefin. While the Scooby beats it is some areas the Focus is a better built, higher quality car, with far nicer seats (Recaro's), great lights (xenons), a decent stereo, good options and while the values are coming down it is nowhere near as bad as my 54 plate WRX that I had, I paid less as well, and all in all will be a better purchase than my WRX.

I enjoy driving it. It may not go round corners as well but this is more down to any driver than the car, yet it excels in other areas. A good fun car.

I've got a bluefin'd golf gti and it manages 30mpg average driven like an idiot on a mixture of 2mile and motorway journeys.

Not a lot between them in performance or economy, arguably the golf is better put together so looks like Ford dropped one Plus of course the Focus looks like a Halfords special
Old 11 December 2007, 08:47 AM
markymark34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MooseRacer
I've got a bluefin'd golf gti and it manages 30mpg average driven like an idiot on a mixture of 2mile and motorway journeys.

Not a lot between them in performance or economy, arguably the golf is better put together so looks like Ford dropped one Plus of course the Focus looks like a Halfords special
the golf is soooo boring by comparison to the focus (believe me im not biased i wouldnt buy either!)
I drove both before settling on my bugeye. I thought the 2 gtis i drove werent even close in performance compared to my 330d wereas the focus seemed much quicker and nicer to drive.

Im happy to be proven wrong if anyone can take me out in remapped GTI.

Mark
Old 11 December 2007, 12:21 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Arguably the golf is better put together - possibly, but then given the Focus has things like xenons and Recaro's as standard, a better stereo, a nicer soundtrack in general, you could say it swings the other way.

Then, I think the Golf looks boring in comparison to the ST, and think the ST is a far better looking car.

And maybe it's the fact that there are loads more people buying the ST than the Golf since the ST came out two years ago - perhaps the Golf has had it's day of expensive prices when other cars can offer the same or better thrills.
Old 12 December 2007, 12:45 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markymark34
the golf is soooo boring by comparison to the focus (believe me im not biased i wouldnt buy either!)
I drove both before settling on my bugeye. I thought the 2 gtis i drove werent even close in performance compared to my 330d wereas the focus seemed much quicker and nicer to drive.

Im happy to be proven wrong if anyone can take me out in remapped GTI.

Mark
Strange as the performance figures aren't "that" much different between Golf and Focus.

I'm genuinely surprised you found the Mk5 GTI boring - I wouldnt touch a mk3 or 4 with a bargepole as they were just that, but I find the mk5 an entertaining drive - the back is quite happy to come round and help proceedings

Belfast is a bit of a trek but if your ever around Bristol you're welcome to sample a remapped Golf
Old 12 December 2007, 12:48 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Arguably the golf is better put together - possibly, but then given the Focus has things like xenons and Recaro's as standard, a better stereo, a nicer soundtrack in general, you could say it swings the other way.

Then, I think the Golf looks boring in comparison to the ST, and think the ST is a far better looking car.

And maybe it's the fact that there are loads more people buying the ST than the Golf since the ST came out two years ago - perhaps the Golf has had it's day of expensive prices when other cars can offer the same or better thrills.
Can't argue about the equipment levels!

I think the ST looks like a 17yr old's wet dream - and therefore bloody awful, but looks are subjective and I prefer the understated look of the Golf.

I like my Golf and believe it's a better ownership proposition than the ST. Having said that if the ST didnt depreciate so much it would have been in my company car allowance bracket and I would probably have bought it.
Old 12 December 2007, 09:13 AM
markymark34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MooseRacer
Strange as the performance figures aren't "that" much different between Golf and Focus.

I'm genuinely surprised you found the Mk5 GTI boring - I wouldnt touch a mk3 or 4 with a bargepole as they were just that, but I find the mk5 an entertaining drive - the back is quite happy to come round and help proceedings

Belfast is a bit of a trek but if your ever around Bristol you're welcome to sample a remapped Golf
yes i guess it is a bit far to come! I agree that mk4 and 5 were awful. I had a mk2 8v and loved it.

Focus STs seem to have finally come down in price in NI to match the rest of the uk (06 ST3 for 14k) and i am quite interested in one myself. Anyone on here got one (remapped) in Belfast?
Old 12 December 2007, 09:22 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Hello, nice to see another ST owner here
Old 13 December 2007, 12:55 AM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

I think i could beat a ST in my X5

I also think i can beat that mpg and i have a 4.4 V8 sport!

22 mpg is a joke in a car so small!
Old 13 December 2007, 01:14 AM
teamheath2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Going 4 400bhp
I think i could beat a ST in my X5

I also think i can beat that mpg and i have a 4.4 V8 sport!

22 mpg is a joke in a car so small!
I have just been looking at X5s today, what sort of fuel consumption do you get from yours? I was contemplating the 3L diesel as I am getting sick of getting less than 250 miles to a full tank in mine !!!
Old 13 December 2007, 01:16 PM
Going 4 400bhp
Scooby Regular

I have just been looking at X5s today, what sort of fuel consumption do you get from yours? I was contemplating the 3L diesel as I am getting sick of getting less than 250 miles to a full tank in mine !!!
Around town i see 18-19 mpg and as low as 11 if you put your foot down, on the moterway 21mpg.

I can get 400 miles out of a full tank but.....

A full tank is £90

Iv heard the 3L diesel do about 30mpg what's not bad for such a big car

Get over to Bmwland.co.uk for loads of info
Old 13 December 2007, 03:06 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by exvaux
plus the price of them seems to be dropping like a stone,seen plenty going cheaper than the older focus RS
I think the Focus RS is going to be a future classic though, I would still love to have a focus RS at some point in the future, don't think the same will ever be said about the Focus ST although I do think it is a very good car, I don't see it ever being considered a classic
Old 13 December 2007, 03:35 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Without opening a can of worms, what are they like around a track compared to say a MK5 Golf Gti (which are meant to be quite good) and A VXR, aren't they meant to be a bit nose heavy?

Only what i've read and I know that journo's can be a fickle bunch at times!!!!
Old 13 December 2007, 07:53 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Crikey this looks one quick puppy!!!!

PumaBuild Feature Cars